I'm afraid a heavy wheel will cause to many inconveniences

KevinvdV

Hi all, 

Initially I wanted to buy the Inmotion V5F (outcome of my first thread here ?). But I missed the deal and decided to wait a little more, I can borrow a ninebot s1 untill I get my own. 

Now after using it for a good 2 weeks I realize that I will hate the 25 km/h speed limit pretty fast. So I was looking for faster wheels, even 30km/h would be nice. 

Problem is that all the wheels I'm finding are super heavy (15-20kg). I'm afraid it will cause some troubles when I want to carry it on a train for example. Do you guys know a lighter model that can reach 30km/h max speed? Shorter range is not a problem. 

I suppose if you're after a power to weight ratio, then you'd need to go for a smaller wheel with a powerful motor. I'm also looking in that direction but I'm happy to cap myself at 25kmh so I have more choices.

The Gotways seem to have these giant power rated motors and can attach themselves to smaller 10" or 14" wheels. 

7 minutes ago, glorat said:

I suppose if you're after a power to weight ratio, then you'd need to go for a smaller wheel with a powerful motor. I'm also looking in that direction but I'm happy to cap myself at 25kmh so I have more choices.

The Gotways seem to have these giant power rated motors and can attach themselves to smaller 10" or 14" wheels. 

25km/h is a nice riding speed I guess, but I don't think it feels comfortable to ride at max speed all the time (risk of tilt back etc).

The wheel I'm looking for should handle 25km/h smoothly and 30km/h when I want to pass someone for example. I can't find a comprehensive list of all available wheels where I can filter on speed for example, would be a nice thing.

Edit: it seems like an InMotion V8 is what I'm looking for :) 30km/h for 13.5kg only

9 hours ago, KevinvdV said:

Problem is that all the wheels I'm finding are super heavy (15-20kg). I'm afraid it will cause some troubles when I want to carry it on a train for example. 

Not wanting to influence your choice, but I'm daily commuting by train with my V10 (+20 kg) - and I must admit I had the same fear - but it goes easier than expected. It's surely not a wheel you want to do endless stairs with, but hopping on/off the train, or taking the stairs to the track is quite doable, and doesn't leave you breathless once arrived. 

1 hour ago, Kristof Willen said:

Not wanting to influence your choice, but I'm daily commuting by train with my V10 (+20 kg) - and I must admit I had the same fear - but it goes easier than expected. It's surely not a wheel you want to do endless stairs with, but hopping on/off the train, or taking the stairs to the track is quite doable, and doesn't leave you breathless once arrived. 

My current monowheel doesn't have trolley mode, so I have to carry it through the train station. Might have to remember I won't have to do all that carrying anymore with a wheel that comes with a handle. 

I'm still leaning more towards the v8, but it's nice to hear taking a train with a 20kg wheel is not so bad

Archived