IOTAtrax

Milanie

I hope I'm posting this in the right place... Apologies if that isn't the case.

I have an IOTAtrax and was riding it for just under an hour.  The unit powered off without notice and I took a bit of a nasty fall.  

The unit was fully powered.  I'm well under the weight limitations for the device.  My ride was on almost entirely flat ground, i.e., no hills or inclines.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Do you know the cause?  Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Milanie said:

I have an IOTAtrax and was riding it for just under an hour.  The unit powered off without notice and I took a bit of a nasty fall.  

The unit was fully powered.  I'm well under the weight limitations for the device.  My ride was on almost entirely flat ground, i.e., no hills or inclines.

It seems to be be a low power device (100 Wh batteries - the 1000W motor specification seems to make no sense with such a battery. Absolutely ridiculous to specify such a motor power with such a battery!). So every a bit "harder" acceleration near top speed will overpower the wheel and send the rider flying....

If it really powerd off (cut out) it could be like with the early EUCs were the BMS cut off early to protect the battery and let the rider fly off...

If this is the case one solution could be shunting the BMS (https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/459-electric-unicycles-bms-problem-and-solution/

) or imho better to just drive more carefully (less accelerations, etc) or getting something more powerfull (best solution ?)

This is the first time I ever heard of the Iota even being non-vaporware:efee78d764:

Most likely cause is

* a weak ass wheel

* apparently without basic safety measures like alarm beeps when getting to the limits, or not switching off randomly:eff04a58a6:

I agree with the above recommendation of getting something (vastly) better. Get a real wheel: KingSong KS14D, Inmotion V5F (called Solowheel Glide 2 in the U.S. but not built by them) or an IPS i5 (gloriously carryable) - as you seem to value light and compact options. If it absolutely has to be a dual-wheel one, there's the Inmotion V3something, but we generally recommend "real" (one wheel) electric unicycles. Hard to learn initially, but so much better in the end:efee47c9c8:

Check out http://ewheels.com/shop

Not sure where you could (still) get an Inmotion V3. It was also sold (in a slightly smaller battery version) as Swagtron Swagroller.

Too many people buy crap quality wheels :unsure:

This wheel is on par with exploding hoverboards. Buy from the main brands that are reputable! Kingsong. Inmotion. Ninebot. Rockwheel. Gotway. Ips. And solowheel

Technically this is Solowheel in all but name. So it shoul be a good brand. So that makes it extra surprising they (apparently) can't get basic things right.

It has a nice design, and putting a board and battery in the small space between the motors is cool, too. I'll give it that. But an IPS i5 will be more pleasant to carry and is much more practical (and safer and faster).

Archived