New to forum

Mobbn'

Hey y'all . Glad to find you . I'm new to forum not new to unicycle riding . 

Introduction and background -- I got an airwheel over 3 yrs ago and fell in love with it and got 2 more . One for my son and a fresh one for me after cracking up the shell of the first one learning on it ..haha . Anyway the two got stolen off my front yard and pourch separately and several months apart . So I'm left with "the beast" I call it because it's been so beat up and still goes . Mostly . Gets glitchy sometimes now . I run my 2 big dogs with it and it's great to wear them out daily ..haha fun times for all of us . Anyway I mentioned it's getting glitchy , well I bought this ninebot one C+ used and I'm wondering if it was a mistake . (Not shipped yet)  anyway my concern now after reading up a bit more is speed limiting on this one And the description for this used wheel was basically 

"Got it for Christmas , rode a couple weeks , put it in the garage and now selling it "  kinda sorta wording .. well it won't come with a charge cord and appears to be different than the other cords I have .3 female holes , this has 4 male prongs ?  I thought I read somewhere you can hack into the speed restricted part of the computer and take the speed up ? Is this true ? That would be awesome . But any help would be appreciated ..  I'm wondering if this is a good buy ? Can you hack into the  computer ? And how do I find a cheap cord /box  or can I just remove the battery and hook up to my car charger then put it back in ??  I need to figure this out before it shipped and then I'll be committed to it 100% . I can back out if I need to..

1 hour ago, Mobbn' said:

Hey y'all . Glad to find you . I'm new to forum not new to unicycle riding . 

Introduction and background -- I got an airwheel over 3 yrs ago and fell in love with it and got 2 more . One for my son and a fresh one for me after cracking up the shell of the first one learning on it ..haha . Anyway the two got stolen off my front yard and pourch separately and several months apart . So I'm left with "the beast" I call it because it's been so beat up and still goes . Mostly . Gets glitchy sometimes now . I run my 2 big dogs with it and it's great to wear them out daily ..haha fun times for all of us . Anyway I mentioned it's getting glitchy , well I bought this ninebot one C+ used and I'm wondering if it was a mistake . (Not shipped yet)  anyway my concern now after reading up a bit more is speed limiting on this one And the description for this used wheel was basically 

I think the speed limit hack is only for Ninebot Mini Pro (the two-wheeled thingamabob), although not sure. The max speed for Ninebot Ones is around 20km/h (about 12-13mph).

"Got it for Christmas , rode a couple weeks , put it in the garage and now selling it "  kinda sorta wording .. well it won't come with a charge cord and appears to be different than the other cords I have .3 female holes , this has 4 male prongs ? 

The Ninebots use non-"standard" voltage (well, there really isn't any standard as such, but most wheels use 16S / 67.2V max / 59.2V nominal  or 20S / 84V max /  74V nominal batteries), you need the specific charger for Ninebot's 15S (63V max / 55.5V nominal) batteries. The plug is different from most unicycles to prevent anyone from accidentally plugging in a charger with wrong voltage.

Depending how it was stored, the batteries may have degraded and may not hold full charge anymore. Lithium-ion batteries should not be stored fully charged or empty. The "sweet spot" voltage for storing is somewhere between 30-50%. If the battery is stored full, it will permanently lose capacity over time. The batteries cannot be "rejuvenated" through cycling, like some other chemistries (NiMH/NiCd?). 

If the battery is stored empty and drops to low enough voltage, it will start forming metallic deposits (dendrites) inside the cells and ruin the battery completely (it will short-circuit over time and drop the voltage to 0V). Trying to charge a battery with dendrites may cause a fire or explosion, but the BMS (Battery Management System) -board should prevent charging if the voltage has dropped to too low (whether it actually does on Ninebot, I don't know).

I thought I read somewhere you can hack into the speed restricted part of the computer and take the speed up ? Is this true ? That would be awesome . But any help would be appreciated ..  I'm wondering if this is a good buy ? Can you hack into the  computer ?

If there is a "hack" for Ninebot Ones, I'm not aware of it, but maybe someone else knows.

And how do I find a cheap cord /box  or can I just remove the battery and hook up to my car charger then put it back in ??  I need to figure this out before it shipped and then I'll be committed to it 100% . I can back out if I need to..

Get the original charger, maybe @Jason McNeil carries Ninebot chargers, or maybe eBay / Aliexpress have chargers with correct plug, polarity and voltage, although you can never be 100% sure whether they're up to par with the originals. You can't use a car charger, it has too low voltage, lithium-ion charging requires a basic CC/CV (Constant current / constant voltage -modes) charger with correct voltage.

1 hour ago, Mobbn' said:

or can I just remove the battery and hook up to my car charger then put it back in ??

Welcome to the forum.

Your above statement shows you have zero knowledge about the batteries used in these devices which makes anything you attempt to do dangerous as mischarging of these batteries can cause a VERY difficult to extinguish fire. The airwheels have a 16 cell 60V battery the Ninebot uses a 15 cell battery so you can neither use an Airwheel or car charger on them. You need to get the correct charger.

Personally I would not buy a wheel without the charger as it is highly likely it was stolen if it does not have the charger with it or any of he original documentation.

To me, buying an used wheel is the luck of the draw, and how much risk you are willing to take. When you receive the wheel, without a charger, you can't test it right away. Let's say you go and buy a charger (not as cheap as a cellphone/laptop charger), then what if it doesn't work? You will have to find out if it's the charger, or the wheel itself. 

When I purchased my first learning wheel, I bought an used E+ on eBay. When I received the wheel, it was pretty old (manufactured in 2015) and was not in good shape, and the tube valve was hitting the inner panel. Luckily I was able to return the wheel to the seller. 

After that I decided to go for a brand new Inmotion V8, but I was lucky enough to find an used S1 for $200 shipped. I guess I didn't learn my lesson, but the cost was low enough to take another risk on an used wheel. Luckily the S1 was like brand new.

So the luck of the draw... 

Oh see that's why I asked . Doesn't sound good after reading this . Didn't think about it being stolen . Duh . Mine were .. thanks guys and no , I have no idea about battery's .. thx for helping me figure things out better .

Archived