V8/Glide3: Wheel stopped working

maxkan

Hi,

I've got an incident today. I had to replace a tire. After that the wheel worked for around 5 mins and then stopped at the middle of the ride. When I try to switch it on it turns on OK if vertical but if I tilt it back or forward it starts saying "please repair". Android app is showing "motor hall signal error".

I'm in NYC area and I bought the wheel 2 weeks ago only... I had plans to ride it to work every day...

Could you please suggest the next steps to make it work again? :)

There are 4 cords, from what I understand 3 for power and 4th is the control one..

They are all attached, and the order of power cords are the same as in this picture from youtube: blue, green, yellow

image.png.e8c7c23dd2422ea0dc852f4993a64332.png

The actual photo of my board

20180722_112912.thumb.jpg.7c434302b48d9adc81c98c94036323d6.jpg

That's the main drawback of the electric unicycles. Flat tire in 3 days.. really? I need to disassemble the whole thing to change a tube... what??

And to make it even more frustrating: It does not work after you assembled it back. 

Someone need to come up with the design that does not require disassembly to change a tire.

• Like 1

Your wiring configuration matches mine so it is certainly wired up right.

As @Keith said the problem is related to the multipin connector. Try removing it and reseating it. Check for anything in the terminal connections that may break the contact. Inspect the wires very carefully for damage.

Where did you buy it from? I would now speak to your reseller about repair/replacement options.

Unless you can repair a cable break outside of the hub then the option to fix this would require a whole new motor assembly and even then it could possibly be a mainboard issue.

eWheels sells the necessary parts if you decide to go this route. You could also contact Inmotion USA for a repair quote but they may not be able to assist if you purchased this through questionable channels.

• Like 2

Ok... Reporting: 

I've received the replacement motor today. It came with the new tire on it. 

Yes, the problem was in the motor or its connectors. I tested it for 1h, smooth riding, no issues :)

However during the installation it turned out that new power connectors are slightly longer than old ones. By 1.5-2 mm or so. As a result control board lid is resting on them when its put in place. Also I cannot properly screw one side out of 4 because of that...

Do you think it makes sense to reduce power connectors using grinder for example? Or should I just leave it as is?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 3:49 PM, WARPed1701D said:

I would contact Inmotion again. Let them know the deal. The last thing you want is one of these falling off because of a bad fit.

The good thing about the design is that they can only fall off after the cover has fallen off.

Similiar boat.   The v8 will not start up & have tried the battery cycle waited the 3 mins. All connections are  tight, euc has over 1600 kilometers. From the pic looks as if the soldering at the bottom of the unit is starting to discolor/corrode/wear down & with some white spots (wiped most of it away think it was from all the heat melted off the silicone sealer . Some visible heat discoloration on the inside of the plastic control panel cover direct across from the three green, blue, yellow wires.  Died during this samd slide attempt the second one . got my 2nd v8  control board covered under warranty as it was brand new thats the first one in the video. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.43.43 PM.png

Edited by soc101
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I had this problem with my v8f. It was clicking and beeping while I was riding it and when I got off it wouldn’t self balance and kept saying “Please repair”. I took a look and found that the control wire from the motor wasn’t in plugged in all the way. It’s the wire that plugs into the board coming from the motor with the phase wires. The plastic clip must have gotten loose while riding. This fixed the issue for me and runs fine now. 

• Like 1