Few impressions after 200km on KS-18L

andress

3 hours ago, Possejdawg said:

Given this, on the ks18l, which has 2 charging ports, in theory one could rewire one of the ports to be electrically in parallel with the batteries, allowing for an external pack, while retaining a port for charging.

That would a good usage for the second charge port, thats true....

2 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

Does this unit allow for charging and riding at the same time?   

Depends on how the battery is wired...afaik the 18L battery also uses a 3 wire system like the S series and then the answer would be No.

Got mine, rode it 15 km home from shop, comfortable smooth ride, maneurable and powerful.

Initially locked to 20 kmh, unlocks 40 kmh after 5 km and 50 kmh after 200 km. From the box it had 45% charge and 1.5 bar (20 psi?) pressure, which I inflated to 3 bar.

Tire looks like it can take wet gravel easily, and road sides, still wet from, recent rain, helped to prove it on my way home. So happy atm

photo_2018-07-01_18-28-47.thumb.jpg.2f7d678198ca2e843f065f914a4a3507.jpg

@that0n3guy About the battery thing. If you start charging and then try to turn the unicycle on it doesn't balance. But if you turn it on first so it is balancing and then you plug it, it charges and keeps balancing. But if you lift it up so it stops balancing because of the sensor it doesn't start balancing again until you unplug charger again.

@US69 Is this the same for 18S (except for lifting up of course) ?

23 hours ago, andress said:

@that0n3guy About the battery thing. If you start charging and then try to turn the unicycle on it doesn't balance. But if you turn it on first so it is balancing and then you plug it, it charges and keeps balancing. But if you lift it up so it stops balancing because of the sensor it doesn't start balancing again until you unplug charger again.

@US69 Is this the same for 18S (except for lifting up of course) ?

Nope, on my 18S the balancing will stop..as this is the xxx iteration of firmware....so the second behavior should not be experienced with( the one first starting the unicycle)....

The battery on 18S/18L only have 3 wires....one is used for loading and unloading....its just not possible todo both at the same time!

Charging and powering the wheel at the same time would only work if you would have 4 battery wires! Sorry, my english is to bad to explain it technical.....

With 3 wires you have one „+“ for charging, one „+“ for un-charging/powering....but both use the same „-„ as „earth“....and the electrons can only run into one direction on this „-„!

Everything that works while charging the wheel is working from the power coming from the board/charger....not from the batterys!

Hope i explained it a bit understandable....

You should be able to get it to work, if you can connect it to whatever wires the regen goes through. At that point it depends on how many amps the BMS lets through

2 minutes ago, US69 said:

Nope, on my 18S the balancing will stop..as this is the xxx iteration of firmware....so the second behavior should not be experienced with( the one first starting the unicycle)....

The battery on 18S/18L only have 3 wires....one is used for loading and unloading....its just not possible todo both at the same time!

Charging and powering the wheel at the same time would only work if you would have 4 battery wires! Sorry, my english is to bad to explain it technical.....

With 3 wires you have one „+“ for charging, one „+“ for un-charging/powering....but both use the same „-„ as „earth“....and the electrons can only run into one direction on this „-„!

Everything that works while charging the wheel is working from the power coming from the board/charger....not from the batterys!

Actually this is not accurate. The current will flow one way only at given time that's right, but the way it flows changes. Every time you brake you charge the battery. And there is no problem at all with having two sources in one circuit. The charger is current limited. So basically as long as the current necessary is under the 1.75A it is capable of pushing it will power the wheel and charge the battery. Once the current draw raises the battery takes over. At least that's how it should work if KS is not doing some additional control but it is a long time since I learned about this stuff and I may not remember correctly. :D

33 minutes ago, andress said:

Actually this is not accurate. The current will flow one way only at given time that's right, but the way it flows changes. Every time you brake you charge the battery. And there is no problem at all with having two sources in one circuit. The charger is current limited. So basically as long as the current necessary is under the 1.75A it is capable of pushing it will power the wheel and charge the battery. Once the current draw raises the battery takes over. At least that's how it should work if KS is not doing some additional control but it is a long time since I learned about this stuff and I may not remember correctly. :D

Yeah, sounds good...but as KS has taken some steps to stop to charge and balance the wheel at all....

You must take some additional steps to plug in an external battery....that was the initial question i guess. And i (personally) wouldnt feel good to plug in external batterys in to the charge port...which are not correctly worked into the other parallel systems. the BMSs of the different packs in the wheel are also connected by a seperate wire...with an external pack you where not integrated there...and not only that...you are on the „other side“ of the pcb board...who knows how the FW regulates external power?

Thats all i want to say... not so easy to just plug in an external battery as on old KS or GW wheels....where we only had daisy chained packs.. .

1 hour ago, US69 said:

From the photos here https://ecodrift.ru/wiki/monokolesa/khit_2018_goda_kingsong_ks_18l_razbiraem/ it actually looks like there are four wires coming to the battery. Definitely not charging and discharging as on the older models. There are threre thick ones (black, blue and red) and one separate thin one (red) I wonder what they do.

19 hours ago, andress said:

From the photos here https://ecodrift.ru/wiki/monokolesa/khit_2018_goda_kingsong_ks_18l_razbiraem/ it actually looks like there are four wires coming to the battery. Definitely not charging and discharging as on the older models. There are threre thick ones (black, blue and red) and one separate thin one (red) I wonder what they do.

As i have said... The three thick ones are for charging and discharging...the fourth is coming from the BMS and going to the BMS of the other battery....communications from BMS to BMS....

Thats btw the same on all S series, also......

Archived