Interface, buttons, tutorial, Kingsong 16s

lawyerben

Hey Folks, I just received my long-awaited Kingsong 16s. I'm really pumped about it and it looks beautiful. I'm bummed about the ios app and I hope they fix it soon because I can not do anything with it.

In the meantime, I'm somewhat confused as to how to use the buttons. There is a power button and an auxiliary (spelled "auxliary" in the manual) button. How do I use these buttons and what do they do? I understand their basic use but I was hoping for a detailed instruction.

Also any tips for initial setup, eg., riding mode, lighting mode, speed, etc? Any advice or links or videos to detailed instructions would be great. There are tons of vids out there on youtube, but nothing that focuses on tutorials or instructions.

Thanks! I've owned a ninebot s2 for about a year and really love it, but looking for some more power now. Looking forward to being part of the 16s community!

The big button obviously to turn on and off the wheel, but it also will allow you to turn on the head light on with a brief push while the wheel is on, or push again briefly to turn off the light, without having to do it through the app. You’ll also notice a little photo cell for the automatic function that turns the lights on automatically when the ambient light is low enough (riding at night) that auto function for the lights is available in the app and I believe the auto function is the default, but as mentioned above if you want to turn on the headlight during the day without using the app give the big power button a brief push - too long a push will turn off the wheel (if not moving).

The little button controls the Bluetooth for music - if the wheel is off you can push the little aux button to allow you to use the Bluetooth for music or whatever you want on the speakers without turning the power on for the wheel itself. You’ll notice an illuminated green light ring around that little button when it’s activated. I really never use the little button as I am not a music freak like some of the younger set, but that’s what it’s for.

I am using an Android phone for the app which is mostly functional, unfortunately the iOS app is apparently not working well right now, but rumor is it should be fully functional this week or next.

As far as set up it’s all your preference, but I like the pedals in the stiffer “player mode” or whatever they call it now, I think the default pedal mode is the medium softness, and there is a really soft mode they call beginner, I never bother with that one as it’s too soft.

I also use the calibration function in the app to set my pedals a couple degrees tilting back as it makes the wheel more comfortable at cruise.

Also the speed alarm settings are your preference, but a good set up is the first two alarms set to zero which is off, the third alarm set at say 33kmh and the tilt back at 35 kmh.

I guess some of the best information for functions and set up is YouTube.....lots of good videos.........simon has some good video information.

Have fun with it, it’s a great all around wheel, I’ve put over a thousand trouble free miles on mine since November and couldn’t ride it for a lot of the winter due to weather up here in Denver area........if I was in a warmer climate, I’d easily have twice that mileage on it by now. ? ?

Great answer above. Also, when the wheel is powered on, the auxillary button controls both light and bluetooth. I never understood the purpose though.

About the app rumor, I read that they only start developing a completely new app on the 20th. That would ofcourse mean that the new app is still months away. Master Blaster’s rumor is much nicer! I’m lucky to still have the old app on my iPhone, and exploring ways to get it out as an .ipa for others to install as well.

I also like the hard ”player” mode, but since the medium ”cycling” mode gives me 5km more range and is slightly more forgiving on small cracks on pavement, I use that. For hard core offroad with tough roots etc I switch to hard mode, since it is quite a bit more stable over steep obstacles.

As said, alarms and ”ollie” (= tiltback) by user preference. I have ridden almost 7000km on my 16S, so I know very well when I’m getting close to the top speed. Therefore I have first 2 alarms off (0), and the third and ollie at 35.

For a beginner I would recommend starting for example with the first alarm off, second at 22, 3rd at 24, and ollie at 25. Adjust up from there.

Great info. Thanks folks. The battery on this thing is unbelievable. I rode for hours yesterday. And coming from the ninebot s2 (maximum MPH of 12.5) this thing is like a ferrari. I can't imagine the wheels that go 30 mph. It's a little clunkier and less maneuverable than the ninebot. The ninebot has a very smooth functionality, but nevertheless, I'm really impressed.

Another Question: Does the 16s have a wheel-disengage when you pick it up? I'm noticing that if you pick it up only for a moment it will start to spin out of control. Or do you have to power off whenever you pick it up?

Thanks again!

49 minutes ago, lawyerben said:

Another Question: Does the 16s have a wheel-disengage when you pick it up? I'm noticing that if you pick it up only for a moment it will start to spin out of control. Or do you have to power off whenever you pick it up?

Thanks again!

No, it doesn’t have a disengage, sometimes if I have to go up a curb or something not too big I just get off, extend the trolley handle and do a little combo roll and lift so the tire keeps in contact with the surface. Or if you have to go up stairs or something just have to turn it off.

1 hour ago, lawyerben said:

ninebot s2 (maximum MPH of 12.5)

something is wrong with ur s2. sb max speed about 15mph, although tiltback starts about 14mph. the s1 has max speed of 12.5 mph, still a nice little wheel but the s2 with that little extra makes it a great little city wheel.

my e+ claims only 13.5 mph but mine goes 16mph when it’s perky.

Archived