KS18A flat tire - saved me from a possible accident

da_toni

...and here is the short story.

Sharp stones caused a flat tire. So I had to open up my KS18A (1200W 1360wh, no stock cooler fan but added afterwards), disconnect the battery connector and the motor connector, to repair the tube.

Impossible, because the isolation of the motor power connector was molten together. It was necessary to cut off some isolation materials to get the connector apart. As you can see on the pictures, the 3 lines for power supply to the motor, sticked inside the connector housing. The data connector pins (or the pins for Hall sensor) are ok.

The luck I had this blowout, otherwise I would not recognise this approaching problem early enough.

I know that this relatively thin cables and connectors are a known weak point and that there’s a reason for, why Kingsong released a KS18A with built in cooling fan and stronger motor cables...

But for those who maybe have the first generation of KS18A (new or used)  and didn’t knew about the weak points, check your connectors regularly. ?

I contacted my seller (AliExpress, yes I know eye-rolling) and he told me he will send me a spare connector for free... which is very nice but it’s not a safe solution to use again the same connector.

So I gave my wheel to a good friend who is professionally repairing electronics. So he replaced this weak connector with highpower-connector which are also used for rc planes etc. 

Now my wheel is working fine again, it’s save and I was  able to patch the tube without dismantling the motor. ?

D3E1907D-D789-49E4-BEC9-70AEFEAAC88A.jpeg

I also have a KS18A (even older) than yours (800 w), so thanks!

Does anyone know if this has been changed on the KS18S? I also have one of those and ride the hell out of it, so probably building up some good heat!

A

37 minutes ago, Evel_Knievel said:

I also have a KS18A (even older) than yours (800 w), so thanks!

Does anyone know if this has been changed on the KS18S? I also have one of those and ride the hell out of it, so probably building up some good heat!

A

What’s your total mileage of your 18A you already rode?

my app is telling me 2700km.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, da_toni said:

What’s your total mileage of your 18A you already rode?

my app is telling me 2700km.

I'm nowhere near that. I only have 93 Km on mine. :) So maybe I'm good for quite a while.

A

On 5/2/2018 at 12:26 PM, da_toni said:

So I gave my wheel to a good friend who is professionally repairing electronics. So he replaced this weak connector with highpower-connector which are also used for rc planes etc. 

Can you please share of photo of the new 6 pin connector your friend installed? 

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Can you please share of photo of the new 6 pin connector your friend installed? 

This ones are very similar...

http://www.dx.com/p/4-0mm-male-female-banana-plugs-w-plastic-housings-pair-72471#.WuwXPYo__mo

He used 3 single banana connectors for the 3 motor power lines. (Which are used for high power LiPo battery connections for rc helicopters)  From the old connector he simply separated the power lines from the hall sensor lines. The hall sensor lines stayed in place of the original connector. He fixed the connector at the ends with shrinking tube. Sorry I can’t send you a picture how it actually looks like. Everything is closed and the side pads are again sticked with double sided tape. But maybe in a few months if the tire gets slick and needs to be replaced.

1 hour ago, da_toni said:

This ones are very similar...

http://www.dx.com/p/4-0mm-male-female-banana-plugs-w-plastic-housings-pair-72471#.WuwXPYo__mo

He used 3 single banana connectors for the 3 motor power lines. (Which are used for high power LiPo battery connections for rc helicopters)  From the old connector he simply separated the power lines from the hall sensor lines. The hall sensor lines stayed in place of the original connector. He fixed the connector at the ends with shrinking tube. Sorry I can’t send you a picture how it actually looks like. Everything is closed and the side pads are again sticked with double sided tape. But maybe in a few months if the tire gets slick and needs to be replaced.

Very good! Glad everything worked out. It sounds like your friend did a professional job on the repair. Enjoy!

Archived