1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

Yes companionship is wonderful too.  I ride once or twice with my partner.  She takes the MiniPro and I take the EUC.  I wish we had two MiniPros instead of the EUC.  EUCs can't stop, and I'm finding that to be more and more of a problem as time goes on.  The MiniPro is back to being my favourite of the two.  It's just so much more versatile and useable.

I immediately bought two MiniPros and subsequently another MiniPro just to ride with others.

This is an ideal way to city transport for me and my wife.

Future decisions may be either MiniPlus or Z10 (EUC).

On 9/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, caelus said:

3-formatOriginal.jpg

The traffic is quite easygoing though. So cycling works quite well in Berlin, just be prepared for a lot of chaotic lane shape. 
The cycling infrastructure is budgeted for huge overhaul, as Berlin has approved a new cycling law - but that can take a while (see Berlin Airport).

I'm completing vacationing in Italy, specifically Sorrento near Naples.

Yesterday, we could have used the MiniPros.  Many times over, in a hilly town.

We walked the hills and many stairs here.

Mostly cars, trucks, and lots of scooters. Very European.

Some ebikes.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 10:45 AM, caelus said:

It's a mixed bag. I think from EUC you get quite some impulses for equilibrioception. But not much physical exercise. On the other hand, it is so much fun, that I spend more time outdoors. And just going somewhere, where I didn't need to go. 

On the cons side, you mostly doing that allone. As I am just so much quicker than anyone else.

Ok.

Sitting, right now, after riding for 13 miles and standing for 1.5 hours, is better than riding.

It also helps that I can eat breakfast while sitting.

While riding, I discovered areas that I have never been to in decades.  Viewing a documentary on the Chicago World's fair of 1893 inspired me to ride in that area.  There is a museum there from the buildings of that time and visited the Japanese pavilion also.  Such great history.

Thank you MiniPro.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a mixed bag. I think from EUC you get quite some impulses for equilibrioception. But not much physical exercise. On the other hand, it is so much fun, that I spend more time outdoors. And just going somewhere, where I didn't need to go. 

I feel fatigued after a long ride and sore in my muscles the next day.

I’m not sure if I can attribute it to riding.

My fitness apps do not register any activity when riding either.

There are developments for sensors in the future while working out.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/18/health/fitness-technology-future-explainer/index.html

12 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

My fitness apps do not register any activity when riding either.

The iPhone activity app does track my movements on the MiniPro.

Not sure what it means yet or how it could be useful.

IMG_8034.PNG

On 10/18/2017 at 8:16 PM, Rocky Romero said:

The iPhone activity app does track my movements on the MiniPro.

Not sure what it means yet or how it could be useful.

IMG_8034.PNG

Further checking into the standing measurements of the blue ring in the activity app requires movement other than just standing.

https://www.imore.com/five-ways-master-stand-ring-apple-watch-and-have-fun-doing-it

Arm movements qualify to register while riding.

• 8 months later...

On the cons side, you mostly doing that allone. As I am just so much quicker than anyone else.

For my longer MiniPro rides, of over 10 miles, I am now wearing a weighted vest of 12 Lbs.  I also have a 20 lb vest that I will use on a ride next time.

I’m also using wrap around wrist weights of 3 lbs each while riding.

Its an interesting experience and different type of ride.  More fatiguing when completing a 26 mile ride exercise.

I do feel soreness on my arms and neck area for about a day afterwards.  It’s similar to any other strength training activity with weights.

The difference is that while riding, my mind is active and I can accept the added muscle discomfort and endure the long stretches of riding.  Once I stop to switch out the batteries, I can feel the impact of the weights much more consciously.

While riding, I often wave my extended arms and do circle loops.  Frequently, I can wave at other runners or riders passing in both directions.  It’s funny and fun at the same time.

I have not noticed a degradation of battery distance and it doesn’t matter that much as long as I can have enough charge for the round trip.  I do have a 3rd battery that I can use to extend my range to about 45 miles.  That would be an interesting test of my body endurance, especially if the weather is extra warm.

The weights do not seem to impede my reflexes or coordination and I could slow down if feeling much fatigue or remove the wrist weights and place them in my backpack.  With 2 batteries and the added weights, I may be adding 40 lbs of weight to my 180lb body weight.

At some level, I feel that I’m exercising my fast twitch muscles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 10:12 AM, ir_fuel said:

Unless you go off-road, euc is as much of an exercise as simply standing up.

There is a difference when riding a motorized device.

I have been a proponent of Whole Body Vibration since I bought motors for my Soloflex weight training platform.  I use it sporadically.  I’m not sure of the benefits completely.

Fast forward to the Segway MiniPro.  It occurred to me that when riding for longer periods, such as 30 to 120 minutes plus, that I may be getting the benefits of WBV.  It could explain my leg fatigue that I experience.  

So I’m more convinced that continuously riding the MiniPro or an EUC would have the side benefits of the WBV motors.

Consider this video on WBV:

Adding a weighted vest and weighted hand weights adds to the riding and fitness experience.

21 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

There is a difference when riding a motorized device.

I have been a proponent of Whole Body Vibration since I bought motors for my Soloflex weight training platform.  I use it sporadically.  I’m not sure of the benefits completely.

Fast forward to the Segway MiniPro.  It occurred to me that when riding for longer periods, such as 30 to 120 minutes plus, that I may be getting the benefits of WBV.  It could explain my leg fatigue that I experience.  

So I’m more convinced that continuously riding the MiniPro or an EUC would have the side benefits of the WBV motors.

Consider this video on WBV:

Adding a weighted vest and weighted hand weights adds to the riding and fitness experience.

This video is far from an objective list of facts. It's like proving that the earth is flat by showing a video made by the Flat Earth Society. 

https://www.livestrong.com/article/435828-is-vibration-fitness-exercise-a-scam/

It has some benefits, especially for people that can't do normal exercising, or people that simply never exercised, but it shouldn't be overstated.

What I discovered is that on long rides some leg muscles get really tired, but that's purely because I am riding in "knee shock absorber" mode with my knees constantly lightly bent, putting tension on my calves. Then again, maybe other people have lower back muscles getting tired, I don't know, since I have a rather good core stability ( relatively speaking, compared to let's say my biceps.) and a lot of endurance in that area. The part that still suffers the most on my body is my feet. After riding for a long time on my RW GT16 I really feel the shape of the pedal in my feet, even when I hop off.

What you mention about weights is of course true. I had to transport 10 bicycle U locks today. I stuffed them all in a backpack and hopped on my mten3. Well, that was indeed quite the exercise ...

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/435828-is-vibration-fitness-exercise-a-scam/

It has some benefits, especially for people that can't do normal exercising, or people that simply never exercised, but it shouldn't be overstated.

I went for an hour ride weighted with a 20 Lb vest and 3lb wrist weights on each hand.

It is fatiguing and it’s too early to know of the strength benefits.  I’ll have the rest of the summer to find out.

The riding vibrations have an intriguing potential for improving balance and strength.  At some level.

Riding a minipro doesn't provide much in the way of aerobic exercise -  heart and lungs don't do much extra, apart from at those moments when you think you are about to fall off! - but many muscles become in a state of tension and I'm sure this provides benefits in the way of extra core strength and flexibility.

As for vibration - as I recall it, Tesla built a whole body vibration device, and got Mark Twain to stand on it for a while - he only just made it to the toilet afterwards and never tried it again.

" For entertainment, Tesla once convinced his good friend Mark Twain to test out a vibrating platform in his Manhattan lab. Twain took him up on the offer and found it to his liking. When Tesla commanded Twain to come down off the platform Twain refused because he was having a good time. A few minutes later Twain ran from the device. It seems that Tesla had deliberately neglected to tell Twain that the vibration tended to cause diarrhea. "

1 hour ago, Ozpeter said:

Riding a minipro doesn't provide much in the way of aerobic exercise -  heart and lungs don't do much extra, apart from at those moments when you think you are about to fall off! - but many muscles become in a state of tension and I'm sure this provides benefits in the way of extra core strength and flexibility.

As for vibration - as I recall it, Tesla built a whole body vibration device, and got Mark Twain to stand on it for a while - he only just made it to the toilet afterwards and never tried it again.

" For entertainment, Tesla once convinced his good friend Mark Twain to test out a vibrating platform in his Manhattan lab. Twain took him up on the offer and found it to his liking. When Tesla commanded Twain to come down off the platform Twain refused because he was having a good time. A few minutes later Twain ran from the device. It seems that Tesla had deliberately neglected to tell Twain that the vibration tended to cause diarrhea. "

That’s a hilarious story!

So diarrhea could be a side effect.

I did a 2.5 hour MiniPro ride today, weighted down with over 30 pounds of weights and battery.  This time I remembered to check my heart pulse.  I started at 63bpm and climbed to 96bpm, peaking at 106bpm at one point.

I’m not sure what that means yet, but something is happening.  I will monitor my heart rate in future rides to determine a pattern.

We do get health benefits by MiniPro riding and it may be a combination of FIT: frequency, interval and timing components.

Archived