My new Gotway Msuper V3s+ 84v (1300wh) failed again.

Today, my new Gotway Msuper V3s+ 84v (1300wh) failed again.  The first failure was described in an earlier post (below)

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7595-gotway-msuper-v3s-84v-1300wh-failed-loose-axle-nut/

This time, the system performed flawlessly for 6.6 miles (mild ride on a dirt trail that my other msuper3 did several times easily).  Wheel temperature was about 48C.  No significant stresses, when the wheel suddenly stopped rotating (locked up) and then fell over onto its side.  During that moment my body continued forward onto my palms; no significant injuries.  The system would not respond to my subsequent attempts to power ON.  The wheel resisted rotation, so I had to carry it three miles to a rescue point.

When I got home, I took the right cover off and was pleasantly surprised to see that the inside appeared to be thoroughly cleaned and professionally restored and I could see no signs of overheating on the main board, wiring, or connectors.  It appears to me that Dion @myfunwheel did excellent work. Clearly, there was careful attention to all of the technical aspects of the recent repair.  Quality without comprise.:thumbup:

If I correctly understand the symptom (resists rotation when off), it means two of my motor windings are shorted together?  I'm thinking this may be another example of inconsistent quality in GW parts.

That is incredibly unfortunate, I do believe it's a case of a blown mosfet and not motor windings.  If you could disconnect the battery cable and disconnect the three motor cables and then try to rotate the wheel, if it spins freely it's the mosfets on the board.  I would be happy to send a board out to you free of charge of course.  They are not difficult to replace (only if you agree of course).

3 hours ago, n2eus said:

Today, my new Gotway Msuper V3s+ 84v (1300wh) failed again.  The first failure was described in an earlier post (below)

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7595-gotway-msuper-v3s-84v-1300wh-failed-loose-axle-nut/

This time, the system performed flawlessly for 6.6 miles (mild ride on a dirt trail that my other msuper3 did several times easily).  Wheel temperature was about 48C.  No significant stresses, when the wheel suddenly stopped rotating (locked up) and then fell over onto its side.  During that moment my body continued forward onto my palms; no significant injuries.  The system would not respond to my subsequent attempts to power ON.  The wheel resisted rotation, so I had to carry it three miles to a rescue point.

When I got home, I took the right cover off and was pleasantly surprised to see that the inside appeared to be thoroughly cleaned and professionally restored and I could see no signs of overheating on the main board, wiring, or connectors.  It appears to me that Dion @myfunwheel did excellent work. Clearly, there was careful attention to all of the technical aspects of the recent repair.  Quality without comprise.:thumbup:

If I correctly understand the symptom (resists rotation when off), it means two of my motor windings are shorted together?  I'm thinking this may be another example of inconsistent quality in GW parts.

Looks like this is going to be a classic case of "third time's the charm".

As Dion suggests, disconnect the motor cables and you'll learn whether the failure is in the motor/wiring hardness or the control board.

FYI, I now bring a multi-tool with me on rides so that if I have a failure like yours I can open the wheel and disconnect/cut the motor wires so I can at least roll the wheel back to civilization instead of carrying it.

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like this is going to be a classic case of "third time's the charm".

As Dion suggests, disconnect the motor cables and you'll learn whether the failure is in the motor/wiring hardness or the control board.

FYI, I now bring a multi-tool with me on rides so that if I have a failure like yours I can open the wheel and disconnect/cut the motor wires so I can at least roll the wheel back to civilization instead of carrying it.

Thanks for the good idea... multi-tool from now on.  Carrying that much weight is not easy for me.  I don't need another workout for awhile.

2 hours ago, n2eus said:

I've disconnected the battery connector and the motor connectors.  The wheel still resists rotation.

So that means the short is either inside the motor (apparently that's rare) or inside the cable bundle that leads from the connectors into the axle.

Since I repaired my ACM myself when it locked up, I had no problem peeling back the sheathing that protects the motor and Hall Sensor cables. If you're so inclined you could do likewise to see if the wires are touching in the visible part of that wiring harness.

In either case it looks like you're going to need a new motor. Sounds like you may be shipping it back to Dion. Like I tell others; you have a control board, motor, and batteries. From a systems perspective these wheels are simple, and therefore simple to repair, although inconvenient to do.

BTW, whatever failed in the motor may have fried the control board too.

Good luck, and look forward to hearing how everything is resolved.

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So that means the short is either inside the motor (apparently that's rare) or inside the cable bundle that leads from the connectors into the axle.

Since I repaired my ACM myself when it locked up, I had no problem peeling back the sheathing that protects the motor and Hall Sensor cables. If you're so inclined you could do likewise to see if the wires are touching in the visible part of that wiring harness.

In either case it looks like you're going to need a new motor. Sounds like you may be shipping it back to Dion. Like I tell others; you have a control board, motor, and batteries. From a systems perspective these wheels are simple, and therefore simple to repair, although inconvenient to do.

BTW, whatever failed in the motor may have fried the control board too.

Good luck, and look forward to hearing how everything is resolved.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I tried to peel back the sheath but I would have to cut it.  I'm not compelled to cut into anything more, because everything looks pristine with no signs of hot spots.

On 8/17/2017 at 7:25 PM, n2eus said:

I've disconnected the battery connector and the motor connectors.  The wheel still resists rotation.

I'm puzzled by the rarity of a short within the cabling or windings themselves.  I really apologise for this frustrating set of issues.  I will again pay for shipping both ways and have ordered a new motor for you, like Marty says, third time's a charm:). I will work to make this process as smooth as possible.

On 2017-08-19 at 7:21 AM, myfunwheel said:

I'm puzzled by the rarity of a short within the cabling or windings themselves.  I really apologise for this frustrating set of issues.  I will again pay for shipping both ways and have ordered a new motor for you, like Marty says, third time's a charm:). I will work to make this process as smooth as possible.

That is some impressive customer service you got there! Way to go!

Archived