Walmart to sell "hover boards" for this holiday season

Planetpapi

I think it's already too late, the cat is out of the bag. Two of my local malls are already selling clones of these in kiosks. At one of them I asked a couple of questions and the answers were interesting. First, they claim that the mall doesn't mind you riding them inside, which surprised me. I assumed I shouldn't ride my EUC inside the mall but now I'm tempted to push if if they're allowing hoverboards. Second, they wouldn't let me ride it before buying for safety reasons but say they'll "give lessons" if you buy one ... but they don't offer refunds. I understand that logic but one of the reasons  you'd buy locally is because you can try before you buy.

Catch 22. Buyer wants to try before buy. Seller wants to sell before try. I guess this is to cover their butt in legal and safety related issues. A typical step ladder in Walmart has half a dozen safety stickers on it. I wonder how many safety stickers would fit on this little hover board with all the potential to fall in the first attempt. 

As far as whether you can ride them in a mall, I suspect the conversation went like this:

Security: No you can't ride hoverboards in our mall!

Sales: We have a merchant who wants to sell hoverboards and will pay us for a kiosk.

Security: Sure you can ride hoverboards in our mall!

To be fair hoverboards are probably better at going at very-slow mall walking speeds than EUC

I might not win, but I would take that bet.  If I weren't going to wager a great deal.  Going slow is fun on a EUC.   It can be done.

Tonight I talked to a local security guy at our mall because I rode there to meet my wife for dinner. He says at this mall they're fine with people riding EUCs, hoverboards, skateboards, etc. to get to and from the mall. Once you're there they don't want people hanging out and riding aimlessly outside, and nothing can be used inside the mall. Makes sense.

I asked him about the kiosk that sells hoverboards and he said they're having a tough time selling them because mall management won't allow them to let prospective buyers try the boards. And, he confirmed you can't ride them inside this particular mall. So you have to buy it, take it outside the Mall, and then you can try it. :blink:

Archived