Is this normal S1 behaviour?

RooEUC

I got my new S1 about a week ago.  We have had solid snow covered ground ever since so I haven't yet been able to ride it outside, but I have put a fair few kilometers on it in the house.  Coming from the E+ this wheel feels rough.  It makes all sorts of weird sounds like scraping metal (but it's electrical, not physical) and lots of constant little thuds when just balancing or going at very low speeds - it feels like something is gently kicking my pedals half a dozen times per second.  When I stop and reverse, there's a solid thud as the motor changes direction.  My E+ motor was so much smoother and didn't make any of these weird sounds.  It's as if the E+ had its power delivered to its motor as a smoother wave close to a sine wave but not quite, whereas the S1 is powered in a series of small bursts of current.  It feels rough and glitchy at very low speeds.  My MiniPro is as smooth as silk, as was the E+, so I'm wondering if this is a fault with my S1 or just normal behaviour and perhaps Segway/Ninebot just use a less expensive motor controller that increases and decreases power to the motor in much larger steps (ie. a lower resolution power curve) which can be felt.

3 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I got my new S1 about a week ago.  We have had solid snow covered ground ever since so I haven't yet been able to ride it outside, but I have put a fair few kilometers on it in the house.  Coming from the E+ this wheel feels rough.  It makes all sorts of weird sounds like scraping metal (but it's electrical, not physical) and lots of constant little thuds when just balancing or going at very low speeds - it feels like something is gently kicking my pedals half a dozen times per second.  When I stop and reverse, there's a solid thud as the motor changes direction.  My E+ motor was so much smoother and didn't make any of these weird sounds.  It's as if the E+ had its power delivered to its motor as a smoother wave close to a sine wave but not quite, whereas the S1 is powered in a series of small bursts of current.  It feels rough and glitchy at very low speeds.  My MiniPro is as smooth as silk, as was the E+, so I'm wondering if this is a fault with my S1 or just normal behaviour and perhaps Segway/Ninebot just use a less expensive motor controller that increases and decreases power to the motor in much larger steps (ie. a lower resolution power curve) which can be felt.

I didn't notice any of that except the first few times riding, at slow speeds heard a kind of grinding noise a few times, just for a couple seconds.  Almost like something was caught in the shell.  Other than that, it feels as smooth as my E+.  There does seem to be a dead spot when stopping and reversing, but not bad.  At speed it feels very smooth.  One thing I just remembered is that the pedals are not completely level, they are tilted down in front a little, so I ride it with the power button in back because it feels better to have the pedals up a little in front.  Haven't done a calibration on it yet, it feels pretty good this way.

How much air did the tire have in it when you first unboxed it?  Mine was so low it didn't even register on the pump gauge.

What firmware did yours come with, and did you upgrade to 1.0.8?  I didn't try mine with the 1.0.6 that it came with, it prompted me to upgrade when first activating it, went ahead and upgraded in the middle of the activation,  kind of wish I had waited and ridden on the old firmware first to see if it rode differently between the two firmwares.

29 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

I did not here any scraping.  The tire is somewhat deflated so I had to pump it up.

I cannot tell any difference on the ride between the two firmwares.

Thanks, good to know!:cheers:  So, if yours came with 1.0.6 installed, it was made between 15 november 2016 and february of 2017, which is when 1.0.7  was installed.  Ours were made at least 10 months ago.  Ninebot must have made too many, that would explain the super cheap pricing lately.

I get a slightly rough scrape, possibly unpleasant, sound when I reverse direction from forward/back, and at very low speeds there is the usual catch that all my wheels except my inmotion v5 makes. It feels like there is slop in the drive train, and it occurs 100% of the time. 

It is a very smooth feeling wheel, I can't tell the power pulses except at low speeds on marble floors. Outside of the reversals, this is my smoothest and most docile wheel. 

On 12/31/2017 at 1:52 PM, RooMiniPro said:

My first thought was that mine didn't make any electrical noise, but yesterday when I leaned the S1 against the car tire and turned it on for a ride, I did hear some electrical noise.  It was a very quiet time of day, no wind noise, I could barely hear it until putting my head close to the wheel.  I moved the wheel slightly forward and backwards and the sound went away when holding the wheel with no lean forward or backward.

Archived