Sore back muscles?

e.motion

Yesterday was my first day learning to ride and today my back muscles were really sore when I woke up. That didn't deter me from riding today again but now they're even more sore. 

I'm hoping it'll go away as I get stronger back muscles but I'm wondering if it's normal. Did anyone else experience the same? :confused1: Or does it mean I have bad riding posture? 

i had all sorts of muscles tensing up while learning -  the worst for me was a tense gluteus muscle on my left side.. easy to remedy with stretches, though. also, if you have discomfort in your feet after riding a bit, that will go away, too - i don't experience that anymore and i've only been really riding for about six months :)

you are working a whole new set of muscles in a variety of unusual ways. congrats. your doing great! :) 

yeah, the soreness will fade as you strengthen the requisite muscle groups and relax as you grow more skilled and confident. my first couple of days i soaked a couple of tee shirts in sweat i worked so hard staying on the wheel. 

next stage is foot pain, from trying to grip the pedals with your toes while your riding. it's some kind of prehistoric instinct, you actually try to hold onto the pedals with your feet. the foot pedal death grip too will fade as you relax and grow more comfortable being on the wheel. 

19 hours ago, stevedig said:

next stage is foot pain, from trying to grip the pedals with your toes while your riding. it's some kind of prehistoric instinct, you actually try to hold onto the pedals with your feet. the foot pedal death grip too will fade as you relax and grow more comfortable being on the wheel. 

I experienced the foot pain while I was learning.

At first I would feel it after about 15 minutes of riding.

As the weeks went by, I felt it still, but it took longer to come on.

I began to go about 1 mile till I felt it, had to sit on a park bench for about 5 minutes and I walked around to loosen my feet up.

This then became 2 then 4 miles before I would feel it.

Now it takes about 12 - 15 miles before I need to step off for a few minutes and rest the feet.

Once I rest though, I am good to ride again farther than I rode when before the pain started.

So if I felt it at 12mi I can go farther than 12mi again after I rest so 24mi with 1 foot rest ballpark.

The more you ride, the stronger all of your muscles will become, the pain in your feet makes you stronger eventually.

All of those little muscles in your feet that you rarely use come into play controlling the wheel.

It took me about 3-4 months of everyday taking a ride till I got to the point of strength where I can go 12-15mi without stopping for a foot rest.

I never had a sore back though, maybe it is just the way my body is but my legs and feet were in pain the most for me.

Archived