Electric Unicycle Oregon Laws: OREGON MOPED, MOTORIZED SCOOTER, POCKET BIKE GUIDE

OREGON MOPED, MOTORIZED SCOOTER, POCKET BIKE GUIDE

Where would EUC's fit on this?  For Electric Scooters or for Segways?  What do you think?

I think my plan is to just keep it cool 15-20 mph, unless I'm on a good stretch and there aren't other commuters around and I'll rip it on the Tesla.

Otherwise, anytime I see a cop I'll go a leisurely 15mph.

Anyone have advice about riding, cops, bike lanes and riding in roads?  I've been a bike commuter for a long time, so I'm familiar with cycling etiquette.

@Fortaye. If you look at the laws the closest thing we have to anything is a Segway. The only thing preventing it from being a full blown Segway is the "two tandem" wheels part. Either way, it really depends on how the officer views the law or knows it well. Truth be told, I've been stopped on my KS18 by a cop. I was going 12-14 mph. I think it was because of the relative size of my machine. However, it turned out that they were looking for a person fitting my description (which might not have been very good because other asians who are 5'7" or 5'9" and weigh in my range are plentiful. You probably would have gotten stopped too.) I don't know the relative size of the Tesla but the fact it has led's probably means that they will throw you less glances honestly. If you look like a toy (which I don't think it does just thinking how they think) they'll go... Oh, it's a hoverboard/Segway. BTW, at the end of the stoppage by a cop he apologized and asked me about my wheel and if I've ever fallen off of it. He let me go. I pretty much walked home after that, ha.

I would not go over 16-17. I think 17 is pushing it. I know from riding around on my KS18 that cops appear out of nowhere and you think, "crap". I was crossing a a crosswalk on mine and one drove up out of nowhere to the waiting cross street. I usually walk crosswalks with my trolley.

Also, you have to watch out for other people. Not because you will hit them because they think you're doing something illegal. I had one scream at me, "you're doing something illegal!" Several times... I was on my Ninebot going 9 to 10 mph at the time. I wasn't exactly blowing anyone's mind with my speed. In fact, I've never gone over 15 mph on any machine. I'd recommend keeping the pocket guide with you at all times.

The other day I was riding my KS18 at work and cops started driving by a lot. I suspect someone called them and they were checking it out. I've taken to riding my KS14b just be cautious for awhile. It happens more and more frequently as I ride my KS18. I think it is because it doesn't have led's or anything fancy. It just looks like a big machine that is some kind of motorcycle. My guess. Had I known, I probably would have went with the Tesla (I chose the KS18 because of the range, I have to drive 38 miles to work). The KS18 is awesome and it eats miles and bumps but the attention it grabs is not... It is becoming more and more of a hair raising experience to ride it.

I have mine electronically limited to 15.5 miles per hour to you wanted to know. I'm fully compliant with the law, even before all the stoppages.

One more thing. The city or cities seem to be more accepting of Onewheels. Those guys are ripping streets at 16-19 mph. I've ridden with them.

In the end, anyone with a KS18... I'd love to hear from you. Cops seem to be taking a great interest in me more and more. @KingSong69 @Jason McNeil

2 hours ago, outcast00096 said:

@Fortaye. If you look at the laws the closest thing we have to anything is a Segway. The only thing preventing it from being a full blown Segway is the "two tandem" wheels part. Either way, it really depends on how the officer views the law or knows it well. Truth be told, I've been stopped on my KS18 by a cop. I was going 12-14 mph. I think it was because of the relative size of my machine. However, it turned out that they were looking for a person fitting my description (which might not have been very good because other asians who are 5'7" or 5'9" and weigh in my range are plentiful. You probably would have gotten stopped too.) I don't know the relative size of the Tesla but the fact it has led's probably means that they will throw you less glances honestly. If you look like a toy (which I don't think it does just thinking how they think) they'll go... Oh, it's a hoverboard/Segway. BTW, at the end of the stoppage by a cop he apologized and asked me about my wheel and if I've ever fallen off of it. He let me go. I pretty much walked home after that, ha.

I would not go over 16-17. I think 17 is pushing it. I know from riding around on my KS18 that cops appear out of nowhere and you think, "crap". I was crossing a a crosswalk on mine and one drove up out of nowhere to the waiting cross street. I usually walk crosswalks with my trolley.

Also, you have to watch out for other people. Not because you will hit them because they think you're doing something illegal. I had one scream at me, "you're doing something illegal!" Several times... I was on my Ninebot going 9 to 10 mph at the time. I wasn't exactly blowing anyone's mind with my speed. In fact, I've never gone over 15 mph on any machine. I'd recommend keeping the pocket guide with you at all times.

The other day I was riding my KS18 at work and cops started driving by a lot. I suspect someone called them and they were checking it out. I've taken to riding my KS14b just be cautious for awhile. It happens more and more frequently as I ride my KS18. I think it is because it doesn't have led's or anything fancy. It just looks like a big machine that is some kind of motorcycle. My guess. Had I known, I probably would have went with the Tesla (I chose the KS18 because of the range, I have to drive 38 miles to work). The KS18 is awesome and it eats miles and bumps but the attention it grabs is not... It is becoming more and more of a hair raising experience to ride it.

I have mine electronically limited to 15.5 miles per hour to you wanted to know. I'm fully compliant with the law, even before all the stoppages.

One more thing. The city or cities seem to be more accepting of Onewheels. Those guys are ripping streets at 16-19 mph. I've ridden with them.

In the end, anyone with a KS18... I'd love to hear from you. Cops seem to be taking a great interest in me more and more. @KingSong69 @Jason McNeil

I haven't really had much problems here at the beaches between Pacific Palisades and Torrance Beach.

I one time had a Hermosa Beach policeman told me that per the Hermosa Beach Municipal code, motorized things such as motorized skateboards, electric bicycles, etc. aren't allowed on the 'Strand' area near the Hermosa Beach pier.  But he informed me it is okay to use the bikepath on the street about one block to the east (which is fine with me).  He wasn't mean, just informed me.  So I stay off that section; no problem, no worries.
I also walk my KS18AY any place that the signs state to "walk your bike".  That only makes sense to me since most of us try to abide by bicycle laws, especially if we want to be treated like bicycles.

Most of the police and people that I've encountered in these areas have been very polite and acknowledge me back when I acknowledge them with a wave, smile, or nod.  Only makes sense to be friendly to them if you want them to be friendly to you as well.

And whenever I encounter people that are walking on the bike path, I'll purposely slow down so I don't startle them as I go by.

Being courteous and using common sense when riding goes a long way when riding an EUC.

Allen

5 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

Yeah. If I see someone walking or with a dog... Or running/jogging/biking. I get off and trolley. I'm probably about the most boring EUC rider you'll meet... Maybe.

No you're not.  You're just being courteous and using common sense.
(The best 'formula' so EUCs aren't eventually frowned upon.)

Allen

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the Beaverton area and the few interactions I've had with  Washington County Sheriff deputies have been all about 'Wow what is that?, it is so cool!".  And from one lady deputy on Halloween, "Can I try it?".  I wish I had a video of me holding her hands leading her down the street while she learned to balance.  So, so far so good.

Archived