Upgrade from S2

octalmage

Hi all,

I ride an S2 to work, and my girlfriend rides an E+. I'd like to get a new wheel that goes a bit faster than the S2, but isn't as heavy as the E+ or at least has a built in trolley. 

I was looking at the Inmotion VF5 but those appear to be hard to find? I see many websites recommending a Kingsong instead. 

Where the heck do you buy these wheels? I was able to get both of my wheels in the US, one from eBay and one from Amazon, but I'm struggling to find any other wheels in the US for reasonable prices. 

Any wheel recommendations, and online store recommendations? Im hoping to get a 14-16 inch wheel for less than 800. 

Thanks! 

I've really got no complaints about the S2 other than speed, I just want to be able to keep up with bikes in the bike lane. 

Outside of used, not a lot of options for less than 800....

... but the KS14D seems to fit your price and would certainly be an upgrade from the S2 or E+:

KS-14D 420WH from ewheels.com

In the States, @Jason McNeil / ewheels.com (based out of Miami, FL / shipping from CA) is one of the most reputable (much vetted on the forums) power sellers, offers stellar after-purchase support, and carries stock-in-hand.

Splurge a little and get the inmotion v8. Got that wheel and love it even though it only goes 30kmh. Lots of torque and handles very well. I'm eyeing the Tesla for my next upgrade to get up to 50kmh. 

9 hours ago, octalmage said:

Is the KS14D worth it? It feels weird to pay more than a Ninebot when the Ninebot is so nice. But it does seem like an upgrade spec wise. I'm very interested. 

If you're sticking to the 800 price point, lightness, and want more speed, absolutely worth it (still too slow to keep up with the fastest bicycles though, gotta pay more for that).

IMHO the E+ & S2 are nice in design only; not so nice in speed / power (I've owned both). They're basically an antiquated design + spec that is 2+ years old now and extremely out of date (S2 is basically a 14" E+ motor).

If this were a year ago, I would point you in the direction of InMotion (V5 series / V8), but retail and support for both models in the US has basically disappeared; you can only procure these wheels abroad, then possibly have to worry about the app being geo-locked when trying to activate.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, octalmage said:

Is the KS14D worth it? It feels weird to pay more than a Ninebot when the Ninebot is so nice. But it does seem like an upgrade spec wise. I'm very interested. 

Do yourself a favor.. bite the bullet and get a KingSong ks16s. Yes, it is a lot more money, but so worth it! If you stick to an 800 dollar wheel, your going to be happy for 6 weeks, and then wish you had spent the extra money. The 16s is the Best wheel on the market with a trolley handle (a great trolly handle at that!)

Archived