Blown charger

Karoolis Taujanis

18 minutes ago, Karoolis Taujanis said:

Hello, my charger has blown after mixing charger connector +/-. Maybe somebody had this isue before and know what is this marked component? I gues its inductor, but color coding black/green/silver/gold/black is not matching any standarts :/

hope for the best, thanks! 

IMG_20170802_002926.jpg

Looks like a resistor

2 hours ago, Karoolis Taujanis said:

Yes, looks like resistor. Removed from similar charger and took the measurements it shows 0.0 oM resistance... 

Any ideas? 

I gues it works as protection and im thinking to change it with a fuse for 5 amps. 

Or maybe its still inductor??? 

Just seen on google, that there are also inductors looking like this. As you already wrote the color code is strange :wacko:

whats written as name an the PCB?

The color code makes no sense, based on color code charts the color combination is "impossible", whether it's an inductor or a resistor. I opened up my own Firewheel-charger (the sticker looks a bit different, as most of the text is in Chinese, but the model-number was the same XVE-6720175) to see if I could get any sense out of it with inductance-meter and/or high-precision bench meter, but unfortunately the other axial lead sits against the board, so I cannot get any probes there, and I didn't want to take it further apart, as I still use the charger. There's a blob of silicone covering most of the area around the component, but there were markings "RM1, RM2, RM3" and the US-style "squiggly line" -resistor symbols next to it, so it could be a really low-value resistor, and basic handheld meters cannot measure the value.

There are some "less standard" markings sometimes used, and it could be that the last black one is the tempco (250ppm/K). Even then, the only way it made sense to me was if reading the value as 4-band code "allowing" black as first (0) value, or as a 5-band code, starting with the black as second band (so 5 bands with "empty" first band, then black/green/silver/gold), in both cases the value then would be 0.05ohms 5% (50 milliohms), and the last black as tempco... but can't say for sure. :rolleyes:  Better check the values with milliohm- and/or inductance-meter to be sure, I wouldn't take my chances with mains/high-voltage device by trying to replace parts by guessing ;)

Edit: Found this mention here:  http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-color-code/

Color code exceptions

5 band resistor with a 4th band of gold or silver

Five band resistors with a fourth band of gold or silver form an exception, and are used on specialized and older resistors. The first two bands represent the significant digits, the 3th the multiply factor, the 4th the tolerance and the 5th the temperature coefficient (ppm/K).

Archived