I joined a Parkour group.

I learned how to land from a very small height, and how to safety jump fences about chest high.

I got the concept down, asked lots of questions, and looked at how people were doing that, just trying to understand the mechanics behind it.

Sticking your hands out to try to stop a fall is probably one of the worst things you can do.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I learned how to land from a very small height, and how to safety jump fences about chest high.

I got the concept down, asked lots of questions, and looked at how people were doing that, just trying to understand the mechanics behind it.

Sticking your hands out to try to stop a fall is probably one of the worst things you can do.

Absolutely.  That's where a huge amount of injuries come from.

By the way, did you see that Fight Science episode on secret arts or stealth arts or something which had Parkour in it?  They show a guy taking some decent falls, and one 19 foot leap from one platform to another where he catches on a rail to stop himself.  It's all measured on potentiometers, showing minimal forces absorbed.  Pretty interesting and worth tracking down IMO.

Archived