Found a eBayer selling 36v batteries at dirt-cheap price

Philip W

I have been searching in Ali-Express for quite some time now. It's just hard to trust those guys with their doubtful batteries. With the PVC tightly wrap around, who knows what's really inside the pack. Also I always do a WH/dollar comparison, it seems like the cheapest battery packs are around 3.4 WH/Dollar, the ones claim using Panasonic or Samsung batteries are about 2WH/Dollar.

Then today I happened to passby an eBay page, which the owner claim to use LG batteries
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-LG-36V-4-4AH-BATTERY-PACK-18650-EBIKE-VAPE-POWERWALL-BATTERIES-200-CELLS-BMS-/201916138726?hash=item2f0323c4e6:g:nKUAAOSwuspY9YNZ

He is selling the packs without the PVC wrap. So it's easy to tell what kind of batteries he's actually using, right? The price for those battery packs are really cheap. Like if you buy 10 of them, it's $250, totally 1584wh, and the ratio is 6.336 WH/Dollar! Almost half the price of the cheapest one I found in AliExpress! It's super-tempting to buy that 10pack and make a 1584WH battery pack for my EUC! After all, it's only $250, way lower than anything I've seen in the Ali-Express!

So is there anyone have suggestion about this deal? Is the seller reputable? Or maybe he's using subpar batteries?

By the way, if I connect all 10 of them in parallel, is it safe to use a 42v 5a or 6a charger to charge them all at once? Thank you guys!

He claims to have lg 2200mah cells with 10a max continous and 20a peak.

On dampfakkus.de i found the lg s3 http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=70 which come in blue and there are the old s2 in ?yellow/orange? with 2200mah, but they only have 4.4/4a max current.

his cells are in ?purple?.

did/does lg change the colors within a series?

don't know if this is any hint, but maybe the are rebranded/reused or whatever?

he claims to have LGEAMF11865 cells - did not find something usefull with this number...

so i'd do some more research before ordering them...

Thank you so much @Chriull for the info!. It's very likely he use regular Chinese batteries, I know I cannot expect much from this seller. If his battery pack can give me 100WH each I will be happy. I ordered just one pack for $35, and will do some test on it, see how much power it actually has.

6 hours ago, Philip W said:

Thank you so much @Chriull for the info!. It's very likely he use regular Chinese batteries, I know I cannot expect much from this seller. If his battery pack can give me 100WH each I will be happy. I ordered just one pack for $35, and will do some test on it, see how much power it actually has.

I can only say from all my experience in vaping and batteries...if the price is just 1/4 of the normal one, stay alarmed!

there are sooooo much fake batteries around....sometimes u even get sand inside them or just a mini clock batterie...giving you 90mah instead of the expected 2200mah. batteries=only from trusted sources!

On 6/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, KingSong69 said:

btw: the LG MF1 come in this color...rated 10 Amp...2150mah and on one photo you can see that they are MF1....

but like said...for me not serious 

Thanks @KingSong69, you have great eyes! If those are indeed 2150mah batteries, then the total power of a pack is 2.15a x 3.6v x 20 = 154.8 wh, which is almost the claimed "158.4wh". So you kinda confirm for me that it could be real LG 2150 batteries! Now I cannot wait until the test battery pack arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 5:31 PM, KingSong69 said:

...if the price is just 1/4 of the normal one, stay alarmed!

Absolutely. Battery fraud is rampant!

I ordered an LED bike headlight from Amazon that had a 4P 18650 Li-ion battery. 2 of the cells were blanks, hollow steel tubes shrinkwrapped to look like cells. Chinese (or other) replacement laptop batteries often have blanks in them (see attached photo). Youtube has images of the products of a Chinese cottage industry: 18650 cells with smaller cells wired inside them. (Don't get me wrong, the Chinese make some very inexpensive excellent leading edge products, and I own a bunch of them!)

Please do share the results of your $35 order with us!

170319_fake_cells.jpg

Archived