Should I get a cheap wheel initially or pad up a good one?

RooEUC

46 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

My first wheel was a big chunky 16inch IPS Lhotz. When I changed to the 14inch on my Inmotion v5f+, I was worried it would be a downgrade in this department.

Quite the opposite. Didn't notice any real difference in terms of comfort, and manouevrability was considerably better. 16s now feel clunky to me. Additionally, there were the obvious weight advantages.

I have 2 16-inch wheels, IPS 121 and 191 (Lhotz). I also have a Gotway 14-inch.

I agree with Paddylaz that the weight and maneuverability of the 14-inch are superior. However, in my opinion, 16-inch beats 14-inch for comfort. 14-inch is too much affected by bumps, cracks, rocks.

4 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Compactness, weight and portability are very important to me, as I will be carrying the wheel around shops and malls from time to time and wanting as little attantion as possible. I will not be wheeling it like luggage, preferably.

I prefer 16" for safety reasons, unless I am for sure on a plain flat surface or don't want to go faster than, say, 16km/h.

I don't see a wheel on a market I would like to carry around on a regular basis, but your mileage might vary. For me, a trolley handle is indispensable unless the weight dropped below 7kg-or-so. That wouldn't be technologically impossible, but it's not on the horizon in the current market place.

I rather compromise in getting some attention even if I don't want it. In my experience the attention level isn't that bad after all.

Archived