Any big footed riders out there? Need help choosing

Spinner

Hi Everyone.

New to this forum. Looking to buy my first wheel I can already get around on one I rented some in Paris while I was there for work and played around with a friend's.

I weigh 95kg (200lbs) and wear shoes size 45-46 (12 US). 

I'm interested in either inMotion V8 or Kingsong 16s that's coming out soon because I would like to have some good autonomy and want an agile but comfortable ride. I've ruled out the Gotway ACM 16 because it's supposedly to heavy for agility.

In addition to having relatively long feet they are also wide. Which model would you suggest for me to get? Problem is I can't really try them out there is no store in Montreal that carries unicycles...

Thanks! I can't wait to buy my first wheel I'm already hooked!

Cheers

Spinner 

I think your point is well taken, pedal size is quite important. Being a wide 45, I cannot complain about the V8 pedals (212x123mm). Having said that, by now I would also be quite reluctant to buy a wheel which has a pedal height below 130mm, out of safety considerations. Touching the ground with the pedal or the foot usually leads to losing the wheel and hence to possible faceplants. On my wheel with 100mm ground clearance it has become the most common reason for a stumble. 

1 hour ago, Mono said:

I think your point is well taken, pedal size is quite important. Being a wide 45, I cannot complain about the V8 pedals (212x123mm). Having said that, by now I would also be quite reluctant to buy a wheel which has a pedal height below 130mm, out of safety considerations. Touching the ground with the pedal or the foot usually leads to losing the wheel and hence to possible faceplants.

That's good to know, thanks. I really wish to avoid buying a 18" or a heavier, less agile EU just for the sake of larger pedals. May I ask how much you weigh? Is the acceleration satisfactory on the V8? Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Spinner said:

That's good to know, thanks. I really wish to avoid buying a 18" or a heavier, less agile EU just for the sake of larger pedals. May I ask how much you weigh? Is the acceleration satisfactory on the V8? Thanks!

My weight is 95kg including wheel and jacket :) 

I don't believe I ever got close to the acceleration or braking limits of the V8 unless on very steep inclines, but I am also usually cautious (though I regularly train emergency braking and quick accelerations). I also never explicitly tried to outlean the wheel. I can reliably climb a 15m 30% climb on loose ground. If I would need to find a point to complain about, which is non-obvious from the data sheet, it would be the somewhat notable motor vibration under acceleration and higher speeds. Yet I haven't anyone else noticing this anywhere so far and wouldn't trade it away in exchange for a much wider or heavier wheel.

14 hours ago, Mono said:

My weight is 95kg including wheel and jacket :) 

I don't believe I ever got close to the acceleration or braking limits of the V8 unless on very steep inclines, but I am also usually cautious (though I regularly train emergency braking and quick accelerations). I also never explicitly tried to outlean the wheel. I can reliably climb a 15m 30% climb on loose ground. If I would need to find a point to complain about, which is non-obvious from the data sheet, it would be the somewhat notable motor vibration under acceleration and higher speeds. Yet I haven't anyone else noticing this anywhere so far and wouldn't trade it away in exchange for a much wider or heavier wheel.

Thanks, Mono. I saw on one of your posts that you were complaining about the wobble of the V8 at a certain speed. Do you still have that issue, i.e. was it indeed a question of experience like some members suggested? This is my last question, I promise!

Thanks. I can't wait to buy my wheel. I'll be in London for 4 months I think I'll just buy a V8 there and sell it before I leave since plane travel is too complicated. I'll buy another one once in Montreal that I will keep at home.

Frederic

2 hours ago, Spinner said:

Thanks, Mono. I saw on one of your posts that you were complaining about the wobble of the V8 at a certain speed. Do you still have that issue, i.e. was it indeed a question of experience like some members suggested?

Kind of both. I am getting used to the behaviour of the V8, but I have a 16" IPS to compare with, and this feels considerably more stable when going straight or passing longitudinal grooves (it is not a competitor for several other reasons, starting with unacceptably weak braking, go figure what could possibly not go wrong with an EUC).

This is my last question, I promise!

No worries, happy to help :)

On 2017-02-28 at 1:16 PM, Mono said:

Kind of both. I am getting used to the behaviour of the V8, but I have a 16" IPS to compare with, and this feels considerably more stable when going straight or passing longitudinal grooves (it is not a competitor for several other reasons, starting with unacceptably weak braking, go figure what could possibly not go wrong with an EUC).

No worries, happy to help :)

Thanks, Mono!

Archived