Detailing an EUC: Wax and Sealant

Chris Westland

The weather is cruddy in Chicago so I decided to do something indoors -- investigate the prospect of "detailing" (as in automotive d.) my new Inmotion V8 before it gets scratched up.  I'd looked into car wraps, which are still a possibility.  But I figured first I would start out with just a wax and sealant for protection.  

EUC plastic cases, particularly dark ones, are typically not a great prospect for wax or other buff on protection because most car wax products leave a white smokey residue that looks worse that the scratches.   The sides of my V8 in particular are two large black transparent plastic slabs that the disco lights can shine through.  

I searched various auto forums for products that work well on plastic trim.  Carnauba wax is the basic component in nearly all true car waxes and does not work well on plastic.  But I found a number of "cross-linking synthetic polymer" sealant products that are used by detailers.  After looking through comments on some of the auto forums, I decided to purchase from Amazon a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (which is not really a wax but one of these "cross-linking synthetic polymer" sealants).  Detailers specifically noted that Meguiar's formula yielded the best results on dark plastics (and black cars).  

I'm very happy with the results.  The product both goes on and comes off easily (and an EUC's surface area is pretty small compared to cars).  Two coats are recommended, and then a buff off with the included microfibre towel.   I've posted before and after pictures, though I'm not sure this does the product justice.  The resulting shine is deep and very attractive, and the V8 disco lights add to the depth of the black shine.   That doesn't necessarily come through in photographs (below).  

This should protect the V8 effectively from the protective bra, which some people have noted tends to leave scratches and dull spots.  It also makes the two 'ears' that stick out of the top of the V8 slippery on the calves of your legs -- I don't know if that is good or bad, but with the bra on, it shouldn't matter.

Before V8.jpg

wax.jpg

After 2 V8.jpg

13 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I'm very happy with the results.  The product both goes on and comes off easily (and an EUC's surface area is pretty small compared to cars).  Two coats are recommended, and then a buff off with the included microfibre towel.   I've posted before and after pictures, though I'm not sure this does the product justice.  The resulting shine is deep and very attractive, and the V8 disco lights add to the depth of the black shine.   That doesn't necessarily come through in photographs (below).  

Very nice! Your V8 looks like new!. After 4 months mine still looks new as well -->only 10 miles on it:)

On 1/10/2017 at 7:55 PM, Chris Westland said:

investigate the prospect of "detailing" (as in automotive d.) my new Inmotion V8 before it gets scratched up.

This seemed like a good thread for a similar discovery I made this week about cleaning (vs. protection).

The shell of my Gotway MCM3 has what I call a semi-rubberized surface (much more practical than the shiny Inmotion, in my opinion).

Recently I hit some ice, and the wheel went skidding and bouncing over the dirt, mud, and melting snow. I have never had a wheel look such a mess. You guys who go offroading are probably used to this, but this was the first time my wheel has been caked in mud. Sand was in the mix too (put down in prep for the snow). When I started cleaning the shell, the surface dirt came off, but the shell was covered with ground-in brown stains that would not come off. I really thought they were permanent.

After a while I decided to try Shock It Clean. It cleaned off the stains beautifully. Absolutely every trace of stains came off. The wheel looks brand new! I was so happy!

Give it a try if you have some tough dirt on your wheel.

ShockItClean.jpg https://www.professoramos.com/product/professor-amos-shock-it-clean/

On 1/11/2017 at 8:55 AM, Rehab1 said:

Very nice! Your V8 looks like new!. After 4 months mine still looks new as well -->only 10 miles on it:)

Thank you ... it actually is new, since there is too much ice on the ground for me to even think about taking it outside :angry:.   I figured I'd protect it while I still had a chance.

Archived