When you are getting faster then the EU

^tom^

Today I was faster then my EU.

My LED indicator showed me 3 bars (2 red, 1 yellow).

I tried to accelerate as fast as I can (that was a very bad idea).

I'm not 100% sure, but the EU turned off and so there is no chance to keep on it.

I had arround 20km/h on it and I was lucky to run as fast as I could.

So only a shock and nothing more left.

How do I know at the Rockwheel 12" when it turns off because of noth enough energy left?

How do I know when I am to fast and I turns off (does it turn of or just reduce the power?)?

Or do I something else to know what I missed?

Possible causes:

Loose wire, wet leaves, other (simple) fault.

A cheaper way to drive brushless motors is "open loop" in which case the EU wouldn't know it was about to run out of power. (Problem = hardware spec)

The software may not take into account battery level, weight of rider, angle of hill and so may not adapt to any/all of these (= dumb software)

If you fall forwards, the programmers may have decided it is better that the EU stops rather than running you over as you try to jump clear (clever software)

If you're heavy enough, lean forwards far enough, fast enough on a steep enough hill it will fall over (rider)

Does anyone know more about the features of the hardware and software?

A comparison of features on different EUs might be useful.

Would we want the wheel to keep driving, so we could crouch to recover (if we're experts), or cut out?

I'm still finding the limits on my IPS so would welcome ways to do so with the minimum of tumbles :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found this

Crash Rockwheel unicycle

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzg1MzkwNzQ0.html?from=y1.2-1-105.3.7-1.1-1-1-6

and I am happy that did'nt happen to me! I was very lucky.

Since then I drive much more carefully and have a lot of respect...maybe to much.

Is there not a sound of continuous beeping?

So how many seconds it is beeping befor it shut's off?

First of all, for any readers that are not aware, Tom's euc is a Rockwheel which has 10 bars total for full as opposed to 4 bars for many other eucs including AIrwheels and Gotways.  When I owned my RW12s I was told not to push it too hard if it's under 5 bars or less.  Also when you hear a continuous tone it means motor shutdown is imminent.  In the video you just linked clearly you can hear a continuous tone.  He should not have slowed down instead of continuing to accelerate.

Aw, he stopped recording just at the fall.  I fell like that but there's no video.  I can tell the story of my first fall in a funny way.  Actually I fell twice already.  As you can see at that speed it's probably impossible to run it off.  Your feet are four inches from the ground to start with and you're leaning forward.  As the motor quits, by the time you realize you've been thrown you're halfway to the ground already, in flying Superman position.

I have seen two other videos of falls.  Again there are no videos of my fall but I think there is a surprised look in all of our faces as we're thrown and fly off like this.  If I had a video of my fall I'd watch it over and over.

Aw, he stopped recording just at the fall.  I fell like that but there's no video.  I can tell the story of my first fall in a funny way.  Actually I fell twice already.  As you can see at that speed it's probably impossible to run it off.  Your feet are four inches from the ground to start with and you're leaning forward.  As the motor quits, by the time you realize you've been thrown you're halfway to the ground already, in flying Superman position.

I have seen two other videos of falls.  Again there are no videos of my fall but I think there is a surprised look in all of our faces as we're thrown and fly off like this.  If I had a video of my fall I'd watch it over and over.

If you had a GoPro you could have a first person view of your fall to watch endlessly.  :D  What brand were you riding on?

Oh, okay I will tell you the story of my second fall.  Well, I was riding the generic or custom made (and I don't even know the name of this brand but I thought I read it said) "SuoQos."  I bought it for several reasons - the first is because I have been eyeing the model Cxinwalk K6 because what I was seeing was a new more ergonomically designed shell (or chassis) better than the original of original designs which is basically a square box on top of a round wheel covering.  There can be a debate, a long debate on which shell design is better - maybe we'll skip that part for now but I will say that this wheel is a copy of the K6 design and is quite awesome having it in person and even taking it apart (mostly).  (As an aside I have to say that there is plenty of room inside the shell in the box space under the pads the room is bigger than a normal shell, plus there is also additional space available even below the box area for things maybe more batteries.  I only opened one side and it had a 240wh battery or 4000mah and it will have more battery and the controller on the other side - oh and I've never seen so many wires coming off a battery before)(but be that as it may, going back to the fall).)

So on one hand I'm happy with what I got for the money but on the other hand it does have issues that are a trade-off.  For one, the plastic used for the body is "not the good stuff" and so it is much weaker than it should be.  There was an issue that had me open up the wheel to get inside it and with that kind of plastic once you open it, it does not seal back up very well leaving air gaps.  Also while inside I noticed the waterproofing is not that good, I mean if you really want it waterproofed you should seal it up yourself with appropriate caulking (I haven't researched this material) - so anyway get this, so when I close it back up it is really much less waterproof than it was originally.  And so it's raining for a few days and I'm thinking "I want to ride in the rain!"  So I drive to the park, and rain is really not a problem you know - it's the big puddles that if you ride through them the water for sure is going to be taken up by the tire and water will be flung all over the inside of the chassis - I'm not thinking about this but I came upon a really big puddle area, like really big 5 meters(?) - and I try to go around this by going on the grass, but the grass is really underwater too.  Okay fine so I did that, but next lap I end up at this giant puddle again and this time I go through the full length of the puddle this time - I take it easy so you know it's not really a problem.

Okay so I'm doing another lap and riding around 18km/h and doing fine and then I slow down a bit and that's when it did me in!  I imagine something inside like a wire gathered water until a drop forms, and when I changed speed the drop dribbles down the wire by gravity and shorts something.  I am guessing the battery was shorted and so the controller has no power going to the hub-motor and without power, it's dead in the water!  So I find myself flying in the air like Superman... and then I hit the ground (wammo!)

This fall is my fault.  So I crawl back to the wheel and check it.  When I try the power it makes a garbled beep but doesn't come alive.  I had to walk it back/carry it to the car which actually difficult, then I waited a couple of days to make sure it dries inside before I try it again and it works again!  I was hoping it was just waterlogged.  So there you go, a lesson learned.  I'm happy it still works!  So now I'm getting over a sprained wrist from that fall.  Now I know what happens if you kill the power to the wheel...

I had the same thing with my firewheel - water got inside (riding in the rain for a long time) and it shut down twice in a row both times causing nasty falls, then would not turn on again. When turned off, the display remained on etc. But, a few days later it powered back on and worked. 

• 5 months later...

@castShadow

Hey,

Was thinking of buying an EU for my girlfriend which is named Suoku X7.  Which I believe is the same as the one that you have.

http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/suoku-x7-264wh-electric-unicycle-white.html

As it seems you are the only that has one of these I was hoping to pick your brain in regards to this EU.

Firstly do you know what the rated engine power is at normal and max?  At what speed does the speeding beep start at and tilting?

Thanks

Additionally - Have you opened up the EU?  As Suoku is the branded name does it have any of the actual manufacturers markings inside the unit?

Archived