Moving from V5F+ to KS16

stevenvo

I own an Inmotion V5F+ (my first wheel) at the moment. I'm thinking of adding KS16 to my weekend road trip. Unfortunately, I haven't got a chance to try the KS16 yet :(. Anyone has tried/owned both can share your experience? Is it worth upgrading to KS16 or should I go for the V8 or the more exotic mSuperv3? 

Thanks!

I own both the v5f+ and the ks14c. The ks14 is different from the 16, but has the same motor so I assume they're similar ish.

The biggest thing you'll hear is that the ks pedals are "softer". This means the wheel reacts a bit slower when you lean. I personally like that feeling but really didn't at first.

Another thing is the ks is a lot more powerful; it goes 19 mph which feels super fast on a 14" wheel. This is the same power as the V8 supposedly.

That said, I feel like the v5f+ is much better designed, even if less powerful. It feels safer, the power/light buttons are much more intuitive, the trolley handle is beautiful, and the body is just really pretty and skinny.

Are you a speed demon? Do you want to go off-road? Those are the reasons you might wanna upgrade to a msuper v3 or a ks18 1200w

20 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

I own both the v5f+ and the ks14c. The ks14 is different from the 16, but has the same motor so I assume they're similar ish.

The biggest thing you'll hear is that the ks pedals are "softer". This means the wheel reacts a bit slower when you lean. I personally like that feeling but really didn't at first.

Another thing is the ks is a lot more powerful; it goes 19 mph which feels super fast on a 14" wheel. This is the same power as the V8 supposedly.

That said, I feel like the v5f+ is much better designed, even if less powerful. It feels safer, the power/light buttons are much more intuitive, the trolley handle is beautiful, and the body is just really pretty and skinny.

Thanks, @codersarepeople. I got a chance to try the Solowheel last week during our meetup with Solowheel guys. The feeling on the pedal is kinda "soft", "floating", and thus less precise & immediate react/control as in the V5F+ like you mentioned with the KS. The stiff reaction on the V5F+ makes my foot quite tired, and painful after a long trip since I need to put more pressure on the pedals to move forward. I guess this is also a trade-off between control and safety. Probably the "soft" feedbacks will help for an off-road, and a bigger wheel will reduce the bouncing on to the foot... 

1 hour ago, stevenvo said:

I got a chance to try the Solowheel last week during our meetup with Solowheel guys.

So how is Solowheel doing these days? It seems like a dying company.

I just checked the website, and as far as I can tell, only one wheel is listed. $995? What in the world?? And for this price, they don't even tell the customer some basic things like wheel diameter or battery capacity! This does not seem like a recipe for success.

http://store.inventist.com/store/p/26-Solowheel.aspx

8 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I just checked the website, and as far as I can tell, only one wheel is listed. $995? What in the world?? And for this price, they don't even tell the customer some basic things like wheel diameter or battery capacity! This does not seem like a recipe for success.

And there are only two reviews, and the latest is from early 2015.

I have the KS16 and have ridden the V8 a decent amt. Codersarepeople is right, the KS16 does feel softer a bit, and the pedals are lower, meaning you scrape a bit when you go really sharp on turning. I would love to have the speed of an mSuper but i'm terrified of them cutting power suddenly, especially since i tend not to ride with a ton of safety gear.

Here are the basic pro/cons of the V8 vs KS16:

V8

• Higher pedals, slightly better maneuverability
  • MUCH skinnier, looks sleeker because of this
  • Lighter in weight
  • The "stop wheel spin" button is super helpful when you pick up the wheel at a curb and don't like burning rubber.
  • More customizations on LEDs
  • Cheaper (about $200 difference on ewheels.com)
  • No annoying "hello kingsong" when you turn the wheel on. One-button-tap to turn off headlight (KS16 requires using the app or listening to the hello kingsong thing again)
  • Battery indicator on the wheel (less important on the KS16 because the range is so good)
  • Able to push down pedals with your feet (I have to bend down to use my fingers on the KS16)

KS16

• Slightly faster in top speed
  • Much better range
  • Rear tail light
  • Faster charger
  • Reverseable headlight
  • Better app
  • Trolley handle and normal handle are the same thing, so you don't have to switch handles constantly when you roll it around and then want to pick it up. More sturdy trolley handle.
  • Bluetooth speaker (which enables music and beeping/horn, though horn isn't loud enough to be heard by cars with windows up)

On 11/23/2016 at 8:43 PM, MaxLinux said:

I really feel bad for the Solowheel guy ( Shane Chen). That man single handedly created the market segment with Solowheel and Hoverboard. Should have been a multi million dollar empire by now, if done correctly. High prices, IP litigations, Inadequate marketing, Chinese copies totally killed him. I can feel his pain but it's a dog eat dog world for sure.

Archived