Death Wobble

John Eucist

On 22.11.2016 at 9:39 AM, Frode said:

I beleive wobble will lessen with experience and time. If the wheel initiates a wobble I tend to relax the muscles and let it finish whatever it needs to do. It will seldom continue more than a second or two. Most probable wobble situations are riding on ribbed surfaces (especially longitudinal grooves) and also braking going downhill.

I agree with that. Though the airpressure in my KS16 is not as high as in Frode's wheel, I also think that higher pressure is a lot better than low pressure (not only to help against wobbling, but for overall stability and of course for longer range).

I can also confirm, that meanwhile at me wobbling happens only sometimes on ribbed surfaces, and especially also while braking going steeply downhill. In these situations it rarely lasts long, and mostly I can immediately end it by reducing weight on one foot so that the wheel leans towards the calf of the other leg.

The latter method works quite well, at least what I can say from my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a severe wobble a couple of times, it started when approaching 14-15 mph.  Tried to control it but couldn't, had to slow down almost to a stop before it stopped wobbling.  It made the muscles in my legs tired and weak, made me cut short my ride.

Archived