Took a big fall today

Smoother

After reading about rider falling an SF and breaking his leg/ foot (sorry can't remember his handle, my brain is old and I have CRS) I went out ready to do some hills for the first time (ks14c, 340wh)

first l climbed a bridge that crosses from the beach to the main part of town, over a freeway and train tracks,. Passed a cyclist on the 

Other side, also go up and over.  ( no, the accident wasn't then). At the bottom  I crossed the road at a zebra crossing.  Same cyclist, although going slowly) didn't stop, and continued to angle across in front of me causing me to bail (no, it wasn't then.) flocking ass wipe.

climbed back on and continued into the suburbs, climbing steeply all the way.  Turned and retracted my route, obviously descending all the way.  (No, not then)  climbed the original bridge and descended to the beach, (no, not then either)

proceeded to the marina, Port ganesta or something like that ( hey, I don't live here).  No problems so far, other than duck head cyclist.  At the port, the promenade ends at barriers designed the stop motor vehicles, imaging solid tube cycle rack loops arranged across the footpath, about 20 inches, 50 cm apart.  BOOM! My left pedal hits a loop and I'm flying through the air like superEUCman, without the cape and without wearing my underpants on the outside.  BAM!  Into the gravel and rocks that mark the start of the port's sidewalk.  Tuck and roll, tuck and roll.  I wish.  SPLAT was more like it, and my iPod went flying ( that was it, if you were wondering)  FORTUNATELY I was wearing ALL my pads.  Wrist guards took the brunt of it.  Right knee pad took its first hit.  Right outer calf took a very light scuffing. Nothing to write home about.

Helmet made no contact, I think, but at least I can still think.

THANK GOD FOR FULL PADS.

may your next, and every other fall, be this inconsequential.

Ps while taking my pads off, I noticed my right elbow pad took a good hit too, hard enough to gouge the hard plastic shell.   Now if that had been my elbow, I might be writing this front the emergency room, or at least the pharmacy.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Wrist guards took the brunt of it.  Right knee pad took its first hit.  Right outer calf took a very light scuffing. Nothing to write home about.

Ps while taking my pads off, I noticed my right elbow pad took a good hit too, hard enough to gouge the hard plastic shell. 

If in my case results are as weak as you describe, I'm used to bang my head several times against a brickwall, and kick one of the heavy stones at Danube Island with my right calf, so that I have to show something when I come home.

Otherwise my wife wouldn't believe I had a fall.

It's the same like it was with the sea urchin: I also had to ram my knee several times into it, before she really believed I was stung.

Women are just too skeptical ! :D

Seeigel.jpg

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

After reading about rider falling an SF and breaking his leg/ foot (sorry can't remember his handle, my brain is old and I have CRS) I went out ready to do some hills for the first time (ks14c, 340wh)

first l climbed a bridge that crosses from the beach to the main part of town, over a freeway and train tracks,. Passed a cyclist on the 

Other side, also go up and over.  ( no, the accident wasn't then). At the bottom  I crossed the road at a zebra crossing.  Same cyclist, although going slowly) didn't stop, and continued to angle across in front of me causing me to bail (no, it wasn't then.) flocking ass wipe.

climbed back on and continued into the suburbs, climbing steeply all the way.  Turned and retracted my route, obviously descending all the way.  (No, not then)  climbed the original bridge and descended to the beach, (no, not then either)

proceeded to the marina, Port ganesta or something like that ( hey, I don't live here).  No problems so far, other than duck head cyclist.  At the port, the promenade ends at barriers designed the stop motor vehicles, imaging solid tube cycle rack loops arranged across the footpath, about 20 inches, 50 cm apart.  BOOM! My left pedal hits a loop and I'm flying through the air like superEUCman, without the cape and without wearing my underpants on the outside.  BAM!  Into the gravel and rocks that mark the start of the port's sidewalk.  Tuck and roll, tuck and roll.  I wish.  SPLAT was more like it, and my iPod went flying ( that was it, if you were wondering)  FORTUNATELY I was wearing ALL my pads.  Wrist guards took the brunt of it.  Right knee pad took its first hit.  Right outer calf took a very light scuffing. Nothing to write home about.

Helmet made no contact, I think, but at least I can still think.

THANK GOD FOR FULL PADS.

may your next, and every other fall, be this inconsequential.

Ps while taking my pads off, I noticed my right elbow pad took a good hit too, hard enough to gouge the hard plastic shell.   Now if that had been my elbow, I might be writing this front the emergency room, or at least the pharmacy.

i am SO sorry to hear this...

i'm glad your injuries were not worse

please take care of yourself and report your progress to us

ATGATT.... "all the gear, all the time".... the only way to ride

Whoa Greg, chilli .  Thanks for your concern, but It was almost nothing thanks to my ATGAT as you put it. And that was the point.  What would have been bad for both wrists/hands one knee and one elbow.  Just became a bit of road dust on my leg, and a mildly interesting story. That reminds me, I haven't read your training update.  I'm off there now, like a shot ?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

you're a real martyr to our lady of perpetual pain and suffering.  Bless you my son.?

Yes, I know. :)  But it's great if there are tender-hearted souls in the forum who feel with you and me. :wub:  (Greg deserves a vodka or two, I pay, but it is so far to fly to Florida).

Unfortunately the weather here is currently not EUC friendly, heavy rain AND cold.  So I don't have a chance to injure myself, and my KS16 rests in the corner and cries.

PS:  For a long time I thought I can never fall with the EUC, and always emergency jump off, but a few weeks ago it proved me wrong.

Sorry to hear about your horrible weather Herman.  I have just come back from another impossibly beautiful sunset glide along the beach.  It's lovely here on Castelledefels  beach.  Wake up to a beautiful sunrise, go for a morning glide, face plant, get up and continue unhurt.  Do other stuff, this beach, that market, etc, come home and go for a sunset  glide. I could get used to this. I'd post a picture but I don't think you could handle it ?

41 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Sorry to hear about your horrible weather Herman.  I have just come back from another impossibly beautiful sunset glide along the beach.  It's lovely here on Castelledefels  beach.  Wake up to a beautiful sunrise, go for a morning glide, face plant, get up and continue unhurt.  Do other stuff, this beach, that market, etc, come home and go for a sunset  glide. I could get used to this. I'd post a picture but I don't think you could handle it ?

Thats a really nice area. But also London is nice, with it's rain, fog and cold. I wouldn't exchange it for Castelledefels. :)

oh yeah, London, the Barcelona of the north!  But.... To be fair, on a warm summer day in the right location, it is quite lovely. It's the winter , October to June,  I can't stand ( maybe a slight exaggeration there.)

Archived