Unable to Upgrade My Mini Pro

Newbie here with a firmware update issue. I will try to provide as much information as possible and I hope someone can help me, as I've found no one else who seems to be having this same issue (and I've done a lot of searching on the net).

I purchased my mini pro through Amazon and activated it on 8/26/16. I downloaded the Ninebot app through Google Play Store (version 3.6.4). I am using an LG-G3 (VS985 4G LTE) running Android version 6.0 ( which was updated on 8/10/16 VS98548A). My mini came with version 1.2.8 installed and the battery information indicates a production date of 5/30/16 (BMS firmware version V2.1.7). This is my starting point.

After downloading the app my mini was activated with no issues. I ran through the training tutorial and am now in the learning stage of the 6.3 mph before the speed is unlocked. After the tutorial, I was prompted to update my mini to version 1.3.1, which I decided to do after reading the negative reviews on 1.2.8. Here is where the problem begins.

After confirming that I want to upgrade, the software download notification starts and then the status circle begins. At every attempt, a "timeout" error message occurs stating, "Update of firmware of main control fails!". Sometimes it will only get to 20% before I get the timeout error. The best attempt made it to 60% before the failure and I've had every percentage in between.

I have tried everything. I've had wifi on and I've turned it off and just tried over the air. I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled. I've put the mini back to factory settings and attempted again. Nothing is working. I had read on other forums that a newer version for android does not play well with the Ninebot app, but those post indicated that users could not even activate their mini because of the compatibility issues. Everything on my mini is working well (activation, tutorials, operation), I just cannot update the firmware, and believe me, I've tried numerous times. I suppose I could just live with version 1.2.8 and hope that over time, Ninebot will update the app again and things will magically change. I've joined this forum specifically to pull on the groups knowledge and hope someone might have an answer. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who is having this issue so either I'm missing something in settings, either on my phone or the app that will fix it, or this is a new issue just rearing it's ugly head because of compatibility issues with the recent upgrade of my android phone or the Ninebot app, and I'm at the head of the class for reporting it.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.  ;)

P.S. I am not really interested in rolling back to 1.1.7, as I'm sure someone might suggest as a possible solution. I'm not that tech savvy. :blink:

I upgraded the firmware via the Android app \ Samsung S7e.

Try from a different phone or even tablet. Worst case, Amazon will cover the return shipping & just repurchase a different one. Fry's Electronic have also started selling the MiniPro.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I had read on another site about using a different phone. I had two old cell phones but couldn't get them going again to try and use them. I do have a tablet and had not considered that option. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

10 hours ago, djnrit said:

... using an LG-G3 (VS985 4G LTE) running Android version 6.0...

Same phone - same issue. Exactly the same "time out..." at 20-24%. Just use another phone. I had an Galaxy S4 Active collecting dust and firmware update went without a hitch with it.

12 hours ago, djnrit said:

I downloaded the Ninebot app through Google Play Store (version 3.6.4). I am using an LG-G3 (VS985 4G LTE) running Android version 6.0 ( which was updated on 8/10/16 VS98548A)

Hello, wellcome.... Thank you for have detailled all about your issue (firmware version bms version activation date ) , it's really good to know all 

Yes try with another android phone or iphone

or

try with a previous apk version 

Great info to know. My tablet was too old so that did not work and my old Samsung phone is a brick. I'm going to do as suggested and use a friends phone for the upgrade. I knew I would get help here. Thanks!

On 8/28/2016 at 8:21 PM, tengtengvn said:

I upgraded the firmware via the Android app \ Samsung S7e.

Try from a different phone or even tablet. Worst case, Amazon will cover the return shipping & just repurchase a different one. Fry's Electronic have also started selling the MiniPro.

haha. Does Fry's allow you to ride your Mini Pro into and around their stores? :P

Archived