KS16 in rain

Johey

Received my KS16 today. Had a nice first ride! Lovely speed compared to the X8. :)

I skimmed through the not so very well written manual. There you can read a recommendation against using the KS16 in rain or snow. Isn't it supposed to deal with that?

For most wheels a bit of a light rain is ok but dont overdo it - no heavy rain or immersing in water. If in doubt - stay on the safe side and avoid rain. Also can cover seams with electric tape to improve waterproofing.

and protect the speakers - not a very good water protection for speakers on ks16

Hi @Johey. I came to your thread on the advice of @Cloud.

I have two X8's (one for my girlfriend) and we've never ridden anything else. Debating whether the upgrade is to KS16 or MsuperV3. Leaning toward the Gotway MsuperV3 at the moment, but will monitor your thread closely for your perspective.

Funny, we were WAY past impressed with our X8's when we got them just a couple months ago. Now that I read more and more on this forum, it seems that pretty much all AW models are passe' and Kingsong and Gotway pretty much own the performance-conscious wheel space.

My first question: When I bought our X8's I was sure that 18kph was "more than fast enough". It took about 2 days before the beeping was driving me crazy and I wanted more. So my question: How long will it take (if ever) for the 30kph limit of the KS16 to become a factor for you, if ever? My guess is your current disposition is "No way - 30kph is too fast". Then again, that's exactly what I said about 18kph for the X8. For the first two days...

My second question: Did you wear protective body gear on the X8, and will you on the KS16? I have never worn any on the X8, and while some might say that's irresponsible, I can live with it. At X8 speeds I feel like I could stumble and recover from most any fall. But if I get the MsuperV3 (45kph), body armor seems like a necessity. Very curious what 30kph "feels like", and whether you feel compelled to add body armor at that speed.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Ok, @Cloud. That's somewhat a pity, as I need to go to work even when it's raining. :)

@ErikT, first, I don't ride the X8 in 18 km/h. Trying to avoid kickback because I find it uncomfortable, so probably rather 12-14 km/h. Now I only had one tour with the KS16 so far, and it was a different experience. Still with manufacturer limit of 20 km/h it is way faster than the X8. To comply with Swedish law, I will try to leave it locked to 20. Besides, I wouldn't feel comfortable riding faster. But you never know what eventually might come up your mind... :) 

I use a helmet and protection for knees, elbows and wrists. I bought them as soon I decided to take the wheel to work, which means riding in quite heavy traffic. I have never fallen, except once when the X8 gave up on me in a heavy uphill. Though it was slow enough for me to manage keeping myself on the feet. When riding in 20 km/h on the KS16 I can only imagine what would happen if it had a power loss... I'll keep my protection no matter what.

34 minutes ago, Johey said:

Ok, @Cloud. That's somewhat a pity, as I need to go to work even when it's raining. :)

Dont be discouraged. Perhaps i was just overcautious and talking in general. I believe ks16 is not bad in terms of waterproofing, but i dont own one so the owners can tell you better. Even if there is a risk, there is a lot you can do. Most likely it will be ok in the light rain, but to be on the safe side you can also increase waterproofing qualities by sealing the seams and / or maybe using some kind of waterproof cover for thr wheel. I forgot where i saw it but they make covers specifically for this, or you can make it yourself. And if you are going slowly and no wind, maybe you can even use an umbrella :) 

By the way, first thing I did after unboxing was to plug it in to give it a good charging before taking off. Just like I always do with new battery powered gear. I was a little worried as the charger didn't seem to react. The fan wasn't spinning and it didn't get warm.

Looking into my mailbox I was happy to see the charge doctor had arrived. Interestinly enough they both came the same day. :) Plugged it in, just to realize why it wasn't charging... The battery was already fully charged on delivery. Boy if all problems were that easily solved... :)

On 2016-08-22 at 10:09 PM, Johey said:

Received my KS16 today. Had a nice first ride! Lovely speed compared to the X8. :)

I skimmed through the not so very well written manual. There you can read a recommendation against using the KS16 in rain or snow. Isn't it supposed to deal with that?

I have used mine in extremely heavy rain for maybe 10 min and it was fine (think monsoon rain). Didn't tape up the speakers beforehand neither. Of course this was unintentional, since I didn't anticipate the rain, but worked fine and I got home.. I am however going to tape the speakers, cause they dont look at all waterproof.

On 23. August 2016 at 2:19 AM, ErikT said:

Hi @Johey. I came to your thread on the advice of @Cloud.

I have two X8's (one for my girlfriend) and we've never ridden anything else. Debating whether the upgrade is to KS16 or MsuperV3. Leaning toward the Gotway MsuperV3 at the moment, but will monitor your thread closely for your perspective.

Funny, we were WAY past impressed with our X8's when we got them just a couple months ago. Now that I read more and more on this forum, it seems that pretty much all AW models are passe' and Kingsong and Gotway pretty much own the performance-conscious wheel space.

My first question: When I bought our X8's I was sure that 18kph was "more than fast enough". It took about 2 days before the beeping was driving me crazy and I wanted more. So my question: How long will it take (if ever) for the 30kph limit of the KS16 to become a factor for you, if ever? My guess is your current disposition is "No way - 30kph is too fast". Then again, that's exactly what I said about 18kph for the X8. For the first two days...

My second question: Did you wear protective body gear on the X8, and will you on the KS16? I have never worn any on the X8, and while some might say that's irresponsible, I can live with it. At X8 speeds I feel like I could stumble and recover from most any fall. But if I get the MsuperV3 (45kph), body armor seems like a necessity. Very curious what 30kph "feels like", and whether you feel compelled to add body armor at that speed.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

To First question:

i have a KS18 which CAN run 40kmh....but i never ever go over 32....best cruising Speed is 23-28kmh, and that a lot of People are saying about best cruising speed..

So no, you will not get bored of 30kmh...to me anything faster than 30 is near suicide ;-)

To second:

I can only recommend to wear at least: wrist guards and knee pads!

I have had a Crash with a Little over 30 kmh...and it was just pure luck nothing real bad happends! If my head had been hit on that fall...good night, could be dead or serious injoured!

Falls over 20kmh...you are not able to react or make a nice fall...or even a "run away"...you just Smash on the ground...from 30 to 0 in a millisecond!

So nowadays when i go for fast and Long driving i also wear a skate helmet and ellbow protectors, but always knee pads and wrist guards!

These can help to glide on the ground/floor if the Speed is not to high!

The feeling of speed is relative.  I find i have the most fun on a challenging gravel path with hills and curves.  A smooth straight boring wide sidewalk is the least fun.  But don't get me wrong, it's still super fun on the wheel.

Archived