My first EUC - Huanxi H2

Questor

Hello everyone.

I saw my first EUC about two years ago at an "Outdoor Retailer" trade show in Salt Lake City.  I was impressed.  I liked the concept and wanted to know more. So I started researching and learning all I could about these interesting machines.

I quickly discovered the wealth of information that is here in the Electric Unicycle Forum, and have been busy lurking for a little over a year now, learning about the different models and peoples experiences with them and the learning process and watching all the videos.

Then, earlier this week, I saw an interesting EUC on E-bay. I made a low offer, and they accepted!  So yesterday, a Huanxi H2 was delivered to my house.  I was a bit nervous, because I had read how difficult it can be for some people to learn to ride these.  But after about 20 minutes, I was able to do short laps around my back yard.  So I re-charged the EUC, and had a victory beer.  Later, when the EUC was charged up again, I practiced for about another 30 minutes, and was able to do small circles and occasionally get on the EUC without holding on to anything.  I was ecstatic!  So plugged the EUC in again to top off the battery and had another beer in celebration,.

By now it's about 7:30 at night and It's finally beginning to cool off here in Southern California, so I  decide to take a lap of my neighborhood, and down to the park near where I live.  I hop on the EUC, and head down the street.  The next thing I know, I'm smoothly gliding down the street like this is the most natural thing to do.  But then the EUC starts beeping at me, warning me that we are at top speed, and I feel the pedals tilting back.  Really?  I'm riding at top speed on day one?  I continue to ride, circumnavigating the park enjoying the new experience.  Then the EUC begins to start tiling back and it's loosing speed.  I realize I've already ridden about three miles, and the battery must be getting low. I slowly ride home and make it before the battery dies completely.  

What a great first day!  Needless to say, I'm hooked, and am now looking for a bigger and better wheel.

So I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for your posts, your information and for helping me get into this cool new sport.

Q~

Hi, and welcome to the EUC world :)

Wow, you learned to do basic stuff in only 20 minutes ? Have you ever practiced skating, or unicycling before ?! I am really impressed !

It could be interesting to know what is the real top speed of your EUC, I never heard of it before, I bet it's 14kph event though it's rated at 18kph, it looks like the same behavior as my generic chinese EUC.

Hello @Questor and welcome to the forums and magic world of EUCs. Your progress is really impressive so you've reached the "upgrade" stage of our hobby / favourite transportation method faster than most of us here. If you really get "engulfed" by EUCs like most of us here you'll soon find yourself with multiply wheels in your possession so I wish you all the best and that your next wheel will carry you much further and faster as well as safer!

Hey!

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised as well.  I thought it would take longer to learn, but I'm fairly athletic and have a good sense of balance.  

I'm a pretty good skier, I used to in-line skate and bicycle competitively, and I'm an avid motorcyclist.  In fact I ride to work every day in L.A. Traffic.

I guess I'd like to suggest to anyone that is hesitant about learning to ride an EUC, that it's not as difficult as it is made out to be.  Give it a try.  It's pretty freaking awesome!

Additionally, I'd like to try and attach this short movie.  Our marketing guy wanted to update our Instagram page, so we shot this quick movie.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJQ5zs1DWqK/

Or perhaps this will work.

IMG_5602 - EUC.mp4_zpsyjwoigca.MP4

Thanks all.

Q~

My first wheel was the H2 and it is a good starter wheel. We'll have to meetup sometime for a ride.I live in Rancho Cucamonga and am only 20 mins from D.Bar.I also have been riding motorcycles for many years as well as skiing.Plus growing up on a skateboard is also helpful.Welcome to the forums and keep on wheelin!

13 hours ago, jrkline said:

My first wheel was the H2 and it is a good starter wheel. We'll have to meetup sometime for a ride.I live in Rancho Cucamonga and am only 20 mins from D.Bar.I also have been riding motorcycles for many years as well as skiing.Plus growing up on a skateboard is also helpful.Welcome to the forums and keep on wheelin!

That's great!

We should meet up.  I'm looking forward to improving my skills and taking longer rides along the bike paths.

What wheel did you upgrade to?

If money were no object, I'd love to get one of the new Gotway ACM, or the KS 18.  I'd ride that thing with full motocycle rear, including a Leatt brace.  My crashes tend to be spectacular.

I've totaled two motorcycles in 14 months. Neither were my fault.  Perhaps when I get my insurance settlement, I'll have soem money to spend on a new wheel.

Q~

7 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Hmmm .... nickname "Questor", "avid motorcyclist" and that avatar - is it possible I know you from the advrider.com forum?

Hello!  You found me.  Yeah, I'm that guy from ADVrider.  I love all things with wheels.  I also love Munich and the Hofbrauhaus and beer!  You've got a great city.

It's fortunate that we both have similar interests.  I guess motorcycles and "wheels" are similar enough activities that it make sense.  Nice to meet you "again".

Q~

That is pretty funny - 330 million people in the US, 83 million in Germany and we run into each other on two random forums. Too bad I got permabanned on advrider, or we could open an electric unicycle thread in JoMomma. I can just imagine the banter! I kinda miss it, but I wasted wayyy too much time on that forum.

9 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

That is pretty funny - 330 million people in the US, 83 million in Germany and we run into each other on two random forums. Too bad I got permabanned on advrider, or we could open an electric unicycle thread in JoMomma. I can just imagine the banter! I kinda miss it, but I wasted wayyy too much time on that forum.

Amazing!  What are the odds? 

I'm not taking as many exciting trips as I used to, and I don't really have the time to read about other peoples travels, I've got a fairly demanding job these days and not much free time to be away taking trips, but advrider still a good forum.

Hey, let me ask you a question, do you fly drones?  I also spend some time on Phantom Pilots. Perhaps we can go three for three in terms of forums? :D

Q~

LOL! No drones, but I have been flying RC aircraft (mostly electric sailplanes) for close to 18 years! Just had a wonderful 90-minute flight this afternoon with my latest glider (an old 2,1m Graupner Junior Sport I bought used off ebay). I am occasionally on rcgroups.com and look at plans for scratcbuilt foamies and the like.

19 hours ago, Questor said:

That's great!

We should meet up.  I'm looking forward to improving my skills and taking longer rides along the bike paths.

What wheel did you upgrade to?

If money were no object, I'd love to get one of the new Gotway ACM, or the KS 18.  I'd ride that thing with full motocycle rear, including a Leatt brace.  My crashes tend to be spectacular.

I've totaled two motorcycles in 14 months. Neither were my fault.  Perhaps when I get my insurance settlement, I'll have soem money to spend on a new wheel.

Q~

I got the KS 18 about a year ago.I also got the KS 14c from a member here on the forums.Both are very good wheels.If we meetup,you can try out some different size wheels,also have the Rockwheel GR16,IPS Kahuna and a130 (12'' wheel).

2 hours ago, jrkline said:

I got the KS 18 about a year ago.I also got the KS 14c from a member here on the forums.Both are very good wheels.If we meetup,you can try out some different size wheels,also have the Rockwheel GR16,IPS Kahuna and a130 (12'' wheel).

Wow. That's quite the collection.

I'd be very interested in feeling the difference between a 16" and a 18".

Q~

You want to feel a real difference,try an 8'' vs. an 18''.I was in Shenzhen last october and bought a gotway m8 (which is no longer made) but had to leave it at Hong Kong airport because Air China wouldn't let me take it as carry on even though I flew from LAX to Hong Kong with my carryon H2 with no problems.Im going back this Oct and am hoping to find another m8 or m10.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I was out of town last week so I couldn't ride...

But today I rode the X2 2.8 miles to Subway and back to get my lunch.  At first things were a bit shaky, but I bent my knees a bit, and tried to relax... The next thing I knew, I was gliding down the sidewalk without even a wobble or shake.  What great fun!  

It's sort of like the "in the moment" feeling you get when rock climbing or something...  All the worries and annoyances of the day are simply pushed out of your mind, and you get to just live in the moment.  

I even had some girl ask me to give her a ride.  But I didn't after reading about the epic piggy back adventure of a fellow member of this forum.

So far, I'm loving this!

Q~

UPDATE:

I just finished my longest ride to date.  I rode 5.7 miles to get an In N Out burger for lunch.

The ride there and back including and eating the burger took less than one hour. So I think I averaged about 9 MPH.

Not bad for a noobie and a cheap wheel.

Q~

X2 loop.JPG

On 8/31/2016 at 11:31 PM, HEC said:

Great progress. Good to hear that you're enjoying your EUC and improving so quickly. Soon you'll be looking for a better ride ;) 

I already am. A Gotway MSuper V3 (820wh) would work nicely!

Q~

Archived