Wheel nut torque settings for Gotway MSuper?

Morgan

Hi all,

i just purchased an MSuper (V2?) which has proven to be great fun, but the wheel nuts (yeah, both sides) came loose by the end of my first day of riding.  I opened the unit and tightened them, adding some blue Locktite, but they've come loose again after only a few miles.  I'm going to try it again a little tighter, and with red Locktite this time.  Anyone know the correct torque settings?

Thanks Oliver!

Making a jig with two clamps is a great idea, and should result in perfectly aligned pedal supports.  I also found  the recent post by Andress regarding "pedal removal from axle" interesting.  Looks like the manufacturer of that wheel taps in two shims on either side of the nut to stop it from coming loose.  So...I'm considering adding them to mine if I can find something suitable.  Are they made of a soft metal such as lead?

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I also found  the recent post by Andress regarding "pedal removal from axle" interesting.  Looks like the manufacturer of that wheel taps in two shims on either side of the nut to stop it from coming loose.  So...I'm considering adding them to mine if I can find something suitable.  Are they made of a soft metal such as lead?

The "shims" are just two (or in some wheels, three) nuts banged in place.

EDIT:  Firewheel, 3 nuts as shims:

gMmsleE.png

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

after using my gotway for about a year the wheel nuts also came loose, so I've tightened them but... after turning the device on some issue occurred. Anyone knows the possible cause of these error? Is it still the axle or a software problem maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

@spellbinder looks like you overtightened so there is too much resistance on the motor. Did you use a torquewrench? Please note that the drivebolts on most EUC are hollow so they wear and break easily if you tighten too much. Cleaning the threads with rubbing alcohol (bolts and nuts), checking bearings for slack, applying red Loctite threadlock, tightening with torquewrench and letting the threadlock harden are all important steps. If not you might have a torn electrical wire and you need to check the integrity of the insulation on every wire. 

Archived