NEW! MiniPRO handlebar released!

Looks kind of cumbersome.  Any kind of extended lever like this must impose additional load on the base of the steering bar - hopefully that won't result in premature wear or failure.  I confess I'm not a fan of adding a handle, myself - one of the joys of the think for me is the hands-free aspect - the feeling of having wheels on your feet.  Others I realise have different views and requirements.

Looks kind of cumbersome.  Any kind of extended lever like this must impose additional load on the base of the steering bar - hopefully that won't result in premature wear or failure.  I confess I'm not a fan of adding a handle, myself - one of the joys of the think for me is the hands-free aspect - the feeling of having wheels on your feet.  Others I realise have different views and requirements.

23 hours ago, jrambonnet said:

I do.  Looks super nice! Solid and great attention to details! Got mine from 9bot-store.com  

image1.JPG

Edited by alex250874

Advice from Segway North America on the Amazon site -

"Modifying the Segway miniPRO with handlebars is not advised. You risk damaging the unit or causing serious injury to yourself and those around you!

We strongly suggest you consider one of the several Segway PTs that are designed with handlebars. "

So no way is this an official mod.

On 8/9/2016 at 10:10 PM, Ozpeter said:

Advice from Segway North America on the Amazon site -

"Modifying the Segway miniPRO with handlebars is not advised. You risk damaging the unit or causing serious injury to yourself and those around you!

We strongly suggest you consider one of the several Segway PTs that are designed with handlebars. "

So no way is this an official mod.

It may not be made by Segway or NineBot, but there is huge demand for handle bars on the Mini Pro. Of course Segway proper is going to try and steer folks who want handle bars to pay $5000+ USD for their full size Segway. Honestly, I think the MiniPro is MUCH more dangerous without handle bars than it is with handle bars. 

@Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro Demand for handlebars is based on what people are used to see, - Segway i2/Ninebot Elite. Most of them immediately think that they need something to hold onto when they buy miniPro.

Ninebot have model Ninebot C that is a bigger version of miniPro. They are not trying to steer people for bigger version, - they'va created a portable version of model C so we can have our hands free.

Every time I see handlebars being discussed, I think about how much extra (over)load the steering column will get. Both because of extra weight and the user leaning against it when riding miniPro...

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

@Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro Demand for handlebars is based on what people are used to see, - Segway i2/Ninebot Elite. Most of them immediately think that they need something to hold onto when they buy miniPro.

Ninebot have model Ninebot C that is a bigger version of miniPro. They are not trying to steer people for bigger version, - they'va created a portable version of model C so we can have our hands free.

Every time I see handlebars being discussed, I think about how much extra (over)load the steering column will get. Both because of extra weight and the user leaning against it when riding miniPro...

I've ridden the original big Segway twice on tours. And now I've ridden my Segway Mini Pro over 280 miles. For sure it's safer with handles. Most of all the ability to lean onto the full handle bar to accelerate and to pull back the handle bar to brake. I've never once fallen off of the MiniPro during my 280 miles of riding and I'm quite adept at handling the mini pro, but for sure I'll feel more safe and just allover more comfortable if I had a sturdy handbar to lean/rest on while riding for extend periods of time. I will add a handle bar to my MiniPro once I've determine which is the best to install. 

The only people who don't think a handle bar is useful must not have ridden an original Segway or are into the "cool" factor.. I'm not into cool factor. I use the Segway Mini as a personal transporter to commute. It's purely functional. And I want it to be as safe and comfortable to use. 

Riding 9b1 E+ as my main ninebot so if it is "cool" enough, - then count me in =)

I've seen various handlebars and got the idea that I don't really need them. False sense of security that handlebars gives is not worth it. And in case of "unmounting" the handlebars will get in the way. Plus you lose the self-balansing feature...

And my theory about more stress and strain on miniPro's construction than it's been designed for is still valid.

Personaly i thinnk an extending handlebar will be dangerous in accident situation, you should reveive it in your body/face if your fall forward the mini, i fell more safe have two hand free , 

Don't forget with the Mini all is intercommunicating 

pad pressure + knee pressure (touching the steering bar) = adjust a better ride , Now you are accustomed with knee driving, will be a new conduct with new reflex... Before you don't use your hands... 

touching steering bar with your knees is diferent when you are touching it with your hands, hands are more stronger than knee, you need adjust steering bar sensibility in parameters

A handlebar mini pro with rider not aboard is an unguided missile.  Current firmware has a new facility to help avoid missile mode when something goes wrong, but handlebars defeat that.  The one time I fell from mine was in circumstances where a handlebar would probably not have helped and would quite likely to have made things much worse for me and for the oncoming traffic...

• Upvote 1

ozpeter. please explain why you think it is any more a unguided missile with handlebar compared to without? did u put one on a minipro.. was it not balancing with the handle bars and rider off? Perhaps urs had heavy weigt? ho long was it? how heavy was it.. I don't think it is fair to make a blanket statement without more details to clarify your situation.

I still firmly believe all the anti-handle bar people posting here have never ridden an original Segway with handle bar. It's definitely safer with handle bar than without. 

If you've never ridden an original Segway and have only ridden a Mini Pro, then perhaps you're more use to riding the little scooter without any handle bars. I can see why you would not be use to riding with a handle bar, but if you started out your Segway life with handle bars, you'd totally feel naked and insecure without handle bars. 

I've gotten accustomed to riding without a handle bar now, but for anyone else that doesn't have the best dexterity or coordination, I'd definitely want handle bars for them to start riding. I'm going to get one so my dad can start riding and enjoying the fun. I'll also use it myself for longer, extended rides where I feel a handlebar will be very helpful in helping to reduce sustained stress to my leg/knees. 

Edited by Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro

On 8/15/2016 at 1:42 AM, Vik's said:

Riding 9b1 E+ as my main ninebot so if it is "cool" enough, - then count me in =)

I've seen various handlebars and got the idea that I don't really need them. False sense of security that handlebars gives is not worth it. And in case of "unmounting" the handlebars will get in the way. Plus you lose the self-balansing feature...

And my theory about more stress and strain on miniPro's construction than it's been designed for is still valid.

i think they are useful for when going over uneven serfaces.. they give person something to provide additional security to keeep from falling off.

On 8/15/2016 at 1:42 AM, Vik's said:

there may be different stressors.. but support structures can be built to accomodate them.. I already have ideas on how they may look.. they can be mounted to the front of the segway with a matching pivot point and attached to the arm fromthe front side.

On 8/10/2016 at 4:38 AM, Vik's said:

Not an official mod for sure. And I think Alexey (Khripunov, "alex250874"?) is afiliated with the 9bot-store...

Handlebar is a very popular item.  Like everything it has its pros and cons.  The biggest advantage is that it does give stability and additional comfort to riders that need it.  Not everyone needs it but many riders are not happy with just knee control.  Most clients wanted to return MiniPRO before they have purchased handlebar. 

The biggest challenge is that after handlebar is installed MiniPRO needs to be recalibrated since the center of gravity moves.  It does not affect the riding experience but MiniPRO wont stand still and moves a little.   Recalibration process is simple and can be done from the App.

Basically, if you someone is happy with MiniPRO without a handlebar - great.  This handlebar is for people that want one.

Segway MiniPro Recalibration Procedure.pdf

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2016 at 7:02 PM, Solar_Segway_Mini_Pro said:

It may not be made by Segway or NineBot, but there is huge demand for handle bars on the Mini Pro. Of course Segway proper is going to try and steer folks who want handle bars to pay $5000+ USD for their full size Segway. Honestly, I think the MiniPro is MUCH more dangerous without handle bars than it is with handle bars. 

There is no reference anywhere that handlebar is manufactured by Segway or Ninebot.  It is an accessory that was made for Segway MiniPRO.  MiniPRO is a great platform therefore more accessories will be developed.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

Looks good - but is it really possible in the app to rebalance the mini pro when the hand control projects so far forwards (so it balances when the rider dismounts)?

i think it would be possible to test this by attaching something to the knee brace which causes it to naturally roll forward.. and do a recalibration and see how it affects balance after done with recalibration.

• Upvote 1

I bought the extended handlebar for my Xiaomi Ninebot Mini and I'm extremely happy with.

Probably it's just me but it feels much 'safer' and more stable and I haven't really had any problems with it, except for losing the ability to control the machine with Bluetooth but hey, I never need to do that. :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, debbiesimmons said:

I bought the extended handlebar for my Xiaomi Ninebot Mini and I'm extremely happy with.

Probably it's just me but it feels much 'safer' and more stable and I haven't really had any problems with it, except for losing the ability to control the machine with Bluetooth but hey, I never need to do that. :)

That's awesome.. can u post a pic of ur mini with handle bar attached.

I think there are many people who feel the same about that. And i think have handle bar option gives person option to use which ever they want on any given ride. I am looking forward to someone creating a seat attachement.. that wud be really awesome. I am experimenting with using a milk crate at the moment. 

Edited by Synap