Gotway MCM3 260WH spare battery pack.

Kawatech

My new Gotway MCM3 arrives in a few days. I want to avoid "distance anxiety" and take extra battery packs with me. Only trouble Im having ATM is finding battery packs for sale. Where do we go to buy MCM3 batteries ? Also, can I stick higher capacity bat packs into the MCM3, or does the 260WH MCM3 only take 260 bat pack.

I have only a generalize answer, and I am no expert in EUC.

EUC won't care about the capacity of the battery pack, as long as it has the right voltage. You can put a 2000wh in it if you can and it just works.

I also intent to make external battery chargers for people here. It works like powerbanks for phones, but will only take hoverboard's 36v batteries though. You can connect as many 36v batteries in parallel as you like, or use only one at a time, thus give you almost unlimited range. What do you think?

5 hours ago, Kawatech said:

My new Gotway MCM3 arrives in a few days. I want to avoid "distance anxiety" and take extra battery packs with me. Only trouble Im having ATM is finding battery packs for sale. Where do we go to buy MCM3 batteries ? Also, can I stick higher capacity bat packs into the MCM3, or does the 260WH MCM3 only take 260 bat pack.

you should have read more about the MCM 3 before you buy it....

there is NO place for an extra batterie pack as on one side sits the board...and on the other side sits the batterie...

all you can do...is put out the 260wh batterie pack...and set in a pack with better watthours....like a 340 or 414 pack....

not possible to "pack up" with more batteries....sorry

1 hour ago, Philip W said:

I have only a generalize answer, and I am no expert in EUC.

EUC won't care about the capacity of the battery pack, as long as it has the right voltage. You can put a 2000wh in it if you can and it just works.

I also intent to make external battery chargers for people here. It works like powerbanks for phones, but will only take hoverboard's 36v batteries though. You can connect as many 36v batteries in parallel as you like, or use only one at a time, thus give you almost unlimited range. What do you think?

puh.....sorry....but totally wrong answer....

Thanks for that data. I will just get extra bat packs with higher WH.  They are really hard to find using Google search. Still looking.

I really like the idea of carrying a rechargeable charger 62v 2amp. It needs multiple plugs for all different sbu.

4 hours ago, Kawatech said:

Thanks for that data. I will just get extra bat packs with higher WH.  They are really hard to find using Google search. Still looking.

I really like the idea of carrying a rechargeable charger 62v 2amp. It needs multiple plugs for all different sbu.

if you are from europe...

1radwerkstatt.de

top reputation

1 minute ago, Philip W said:

Uh... Maybe you could elaborate more on that? I am curious why it's a totally wrong answer. Or maybe Kingsong is specially made not to accept higher capacity batteries?

no, that was true...higher capacity is always good, but a 2000wh pack for a EUC has not been seen before....it would need -about- 200 cells of 18650! in my 1360 wh ks18 are 128 cells weighing about 6-7 kg

this external charger by carrying batteries around is not so easy at all, as you might think....details would be to long, just:

EUCs need a 67,2 Volt charger( ninebot 63 and inmotion 72) 

with 36 volt hoverboard batteries you can do nothing here....

The original question is can Gotway MCM3 take batteries higher than 260wh. My answer is yes, you can put a higher capacity battery in it. Since Kingson69 agree with that, so the answer is a definitely yes. Things in dispute is the possibility of put a 2000wh in that thing, which it was just a figurative speaking. I am not serious about that number.

The 36v thing is my little pet project. Maybe I will find a better way to do it, but so far I did successfully charge my TG-F3 with a 36v hoverboard battery. It was fun. I got an additional 110wh from that thing. Now I am waiting for 3 more from China.

For Kawatech,

TG and Gotway have the same outside apperance and charger. I believe a lot of the EUC can use the same 67v mobile charger.

max for the gotway mcm3 is a pack of 414wh on its one side...as on the other side the board has the place...

its really intersting that a 36 volt batterie can charge a 67 Volt batterie!

perhaps someone with more knowledge of volts/watts can jump in @esaj???

On 16.7.2016 at 3:25 PM, KingSong69 said:

max for the gotway mcm3 is a pack of 414wh on its one side...as on the other side the board has the place...

its really intersting that a 36 volt batterie can charge a 67 Volt batterie!

perhaps someone with more knowledge of volts/watts can jump in @esaj???

Been away a couple of days, so I'm a bit behind on the posts... Philip & someone else (?) are using boost-converters to boost the voltage up, although I'm not sure if they've finished their projects yet and whether the voltage ripple from the boost converter can become a problem. There's a topic about it somewhere, probably in this Mods & Repairs -subforum.

1 hour ago, esaj said:

Been away a couple of days, so I'm a bit behind on the posts... Philip & someone else (?) are using boost-converters to boost the voltage up, although I'm not sure if they've finished their projects yet and whether the voltage ripple from the boost converter can become a problem. There's a topic about it somewhere, probably in this Mods & Repairs -subforum.

nice...

if he would have just said that....otherwise its a bit difficult to do a 36 to 67 volt charging :-)

thanks @esaj

Thanks KingSong69, I looked at 1radwerkstatt.de , and left a message. This seems to be the solution to my question. I live in Australia. Just had my first ride on my new GotWay. Cant get app to work yet. I only ride on hard pedal mode "Madden" so my first ride was a little scary. I last owned Ninebot E+ and rode 2300 km in 12 months. IPS the year before, and Solowheel the year before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaHTcLTRj0

51 minutes ago, Kawatech said:

Thanks KingSong69, I looked at 1radwerkstatt.de , and left a message. This seems to be the solution to my question. I live in Australia. Just had my first ride on my new GotWay. Cant get app to work yet. I only ride on hard pedal mode "Madden" so my first ride was a little scary. I last owned Ninebot E+ and rode 2300 km in 12 months. IPS the year before, and Solowheel the year before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaHTcLTRj0

Oh! Australia?

Then i think it will become a Problem to do Business with Chris(1radwerkstatt) because of the Batterie limitations on air cargo.....

As i remember he tried to send batteries to USA what failed....

Then perhaps it is easier (and much cheaper) to get a Gotway 340wh Pack from ali-express!

My 2 Cents ;-)

Thanks Esau for clear things up! The reason I have to use a boost converter is that I don't know much of the electronic and don't know how to design and make a good reliable current limiter. The DC converters offer this feature but there is no 67v to 67v converter. So the only thing I can find is this Boost converter which convert 8-60v to what you like under 100v. You can use 12v or 48v batteries as well, whatever is available to you. I chose 36v because my neighbour has a hooverboard that no one uses, and now it belongs to me. I had success with that 36v battery and it gave my EUC 85wh of power last time. 

Since now we have a massive recall of hover boards , maybe 36v batteries will be even cheaper?

anyway, I have a little dream that one day I can ride a EUC around the country, doing at least 100km a day. This thing brought it closer to my dream.

3 minutes ago, Philip W said:

Thanks Esau for clear things up! The reason I have to use a boost converter is that I don't know much of the electronic and don't know how to design and make a good reliable current limiter. The DC converters offer this feature but there is no 67v to 67v converter. So the only thing I can find is this Boost converter which convert 8-60v to what you like under 100v. You can use 12v or 48v batteries as well, whatever is available to you. I chose 36v because my neighbour has a hooverboard that no one uses, and now it belongs to me. I had success with that 36v battery and it gave my EUC 85wh of power last time. 

Since now we have a massive recall of hover boards , maybe 36v batteries will be even cheaper?

anyway, I have a little dream that one day I can ride a EUC around the country, doing at least 100km a day. This thing brought it closer to my dream.

Hy,

if you have said that you used boost converters....it would have been more clear and easier to communicate....

For sure : THEN you can use hooverboard batteries...but you have to see/understand that on those hooverboard batteries which are done with 20 cells of 18650

(10serial in 2 times parallel) you can not get more energy....than on real EUC batteries which are done from 16serial (2 times parallel on MCM2s)...

First...easy: it are less cells...

second...you are loosing energy from boosting as boosting is not "effective"

third...this hoverboard cells are normally not the same high capacity than in quality EUC ( normal hoverboard cell capacity->2200mah, high EUC cell->3500mah)

As you see: A normal hoverboard Batterie can gives around 160wh (10 batteries * 3,7 Volt * 2200mah * 2 parallel)...but by boosting You only get 110wh out of it, like you said....

So it would be more clever to use "real EUC" Batterie directly as a charger, than boosting a cheap Hoverboard cell!

But at all to your 100kmh dream ;-)

As i have said:

My 1360wh KS18 has 128 Cells of 18650 in it...which are 7,2 Kilogramm and with that i can go  about 80 km... (if i would be not so heavy :-( it would be a Little more )

So for your 100 kmh wanted you have to carry minimum 128 cells with 7,2 kg:-)

@KingSong69  I wish I could use real EUC batteries directly. It's just not safe to directly connect to the charging port. I need something reliable to limit the current and there was none. Someone posted here saying he uses a halogen to limit the current but esaj explained to me that it could have a start up rush of current. So right now the boost converter is my best option. I thought it's obvious. How else can I charge 67v with 36v battery?

The generic EUC use the same batteries as the hoverboard, just different packages. Only highends use 3500ma batteries. I want to spend as low as possible.

The number 110wh is not accurate. It was just in my mind 134wh * 85% = 113.9wh, which is not right. Sorry that I messed up. But I think 85% efficiency should be right. I am very willing to lose 15% power in exchange of safe charging. There might be better way. Maybe I can just connect two 36v together and form a 72v battery then put a resistor to lower the voltage. The project is under development.

Congrats on your 1360wh ks18! It's a really kickass wheel, which I would like to have one day. Right now I am just trying to work with my regular TG. I have a bike pouch that I can put on top of the EUC. It will hold 4 batteries, which will add 158.4wh x 4 x 85% = 538wh power, and I probably can put 4 more in my backpack, it's another 538wh, so the external battery packs totally will have 1076wh power. My next EUC will have much better speed but probably the same 264wh battery. So it will have totally 1340wh to work with. Hopefully it will be enough to go 100km. In this setup I have 160cells total! The EUC carries 4kg and I carry 4kg. The whole set will cost around $390 total. It's a poor man's long distance solution. If that's possible, imagine that you can cross the whole U.S. continent without using a drop of oil. That will be really nice!

wow, thats really a got solution, with not so much money invested!

sorry, i am i no way electric pro...so the use of power booster was not obvious for me :-)

learned some more now :-)

• 6 months later...

Archived