Duf damn near bought the farm…

1 hour ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

I had both failure modes happen to my master. Both times I was using a new “stock” off-road tire and new tube. I no longer trust the wheel for street riding because I keep having tire problems.

Can you tell us more about what happened?

3 hours ago, WheelGoodTime said:

I feel like this conversation ought to be redirected to discuss why this is happening on so many Begode EUCs, and how it can be avoided. The sad fact is that all of these valve stem shearing-related blowouts are happening only on BG/EB wheels, who use the same rim manufacturer. And who knows how many people this has happened to where didn't make its rounds on the internet?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Inmotion V12 had several reports of leaks around the valve stem caused by cutting/pinching around the rim hole. Personally, I also have seen a similar leak on an old KS 16S that was remedied with Slime. All of these examples I am referencing did not result in a fully sheared off valve stem...which, I speculate, suggests that your ET and Dufs Master incidents could have been a large leak initially...full shear only resulting from the force of the crash with deflated/very low pressure wheel.

Further speculation...Slime could have slowed down (or stopped) the leak (as it did with the KS 16S)? Did you have Slime in your ET?...Duf did not.

Maybe I am just desperate to find an action to mitigate these kind of accidents?

Edited by Zuber

7 minutes ago, Zuber said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Inmotion V12 had several reports of leaks around the valve stem caused by cutting/pinching around the rim hole. Personally, I also have seen a similar leak on an old KS 16S that was remedied with Slime. All of these examples I am referencing did not result in a fully sheared off valve stem...which, I speculate, suggests that your ET and Dufs Master incidents could have been a large leak initially...full shear only resulting from the force of the crash with deflated/very low pressure wheel.

First time I ever hear that.

19 minutes ago, Zuber said:

Maybe I am just desperate to find an action to mitigate these kind of accidents?

Sand down the rim hole - where stem/tube go true, so it doesn't have sharp edge. Extra ring around rim hole. (cone shape)

Glue extra layer of old tube over new ones stem - so tube around stem would be stronger.

Ride higher PSI, so stem has les chance of moving, or tire slipping on rim. One can also sand down tire bead.. So it isn't that smooth and have less chance of slipping on rim.

I took these actions to mitigate valve shearing off, or having cut at bottom of valve stem. After my second valve stem sheared off after only measly 200-300km ridden, before first one had. So far i have ridden almost a year whit out any issues. Soon ill change to winter tire - then i will inspect old tube very carefully for any cuts/marks around valve stem...

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, WheelGoodTime said:

Can you tell us more about what happened?

I weigh about 170 and run 32 PSI is all scenarios.

Tire 1 - The original V3 (2.5?) master rim with off-road tire from E-wheels. There were no issues with the tire, but I wanted something more predictable to learn on. I did not keep the tire when I changed it out.

Tire 2 - Chao Yang H-666: No issues.

Tire 3 - Shinko 244: No issues, but I really didn't like the profile even after shaving the tire. I did not run any sort of spacers.

Tire 4 - Kenda k262: I was getting strange oscillations no matter how time I spent re-seating the tire. During a 3rd party bearing change, the inner-tube got damaged and replaced, and someone else re-seated the tire. I still had oscillations at any speed. During a 40mph ride on the street, the tire started slipping off the rim. It was rubbing the battery boxes, and removed some material. I think other people had issues with this model of tire, so I changed it out.

Tire 5 - CST 186 – I tested the tire for about 2 miles on road. There were no strange oscillations. The valve stem broke during off-roading the next day and the tire popped off the rim. I tried to walk it back to the trail head, but the rubbing of the half mounted tire tore it up.

Tire 6 – New CST 186 – I tested again with the same 2 mile street circuit. The tire and tube popped out during a very slow ride on the sidewalk before I even made it to the off-road trail.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

Tire 4 - Kenda k262: I was getting strange oscillations no matter how time I spent re-seating the tire. During a 3rd party bearing change, the inner-tube got damaged and replaced, and someone else re-seated the tire. I still had oscillations at any speed. During a 40mph ride on the street, the tire started slipping off the rim. It was rubbing the battery boxes, and removed some material. I think other people had issues with this model of tire, so I changed it out.

I had this problem with the Jiluer J-820 (S22 stock tire) on the Master V2 rim as well, no matter what I couldn't get it perfect, there was no side to side wobbles only up and down oscillations, I was riding not that fast and analyzing in my head what was happening and thinking that I need to reach a nearby bench to stop and take a closer look when it jumped off the rim got stuck in the wheel well locked the wheel and faceplanted me due to the very sudden, unexpected and violent downward movement.

• Upvote 1

I can’t get the 262 perfect on my Lynx but it’s good enough now to not hear nor feel the slight wobble. I like the tyre though, wish my L had it, but then again, the stealth of the TNT is magical. 

On 9/28/2024 at 9:23 PM, OldFartRides said:

Fast flat sent him off the shoulder into traffic. Walked away.  It’s just nuts riding these on highways ( including shoulders).

That was crazy.

Duf doesn’t hang here. Now and then he posts a wheel for sale here. Dunno if he lurks. IMHO, almost all the “influencers” are way too cavalier about mixing it up in traffic. Two or three weeks ago a boy got run over in TN. Dead. Gone. No replay. No refund. Duf  lucked out by a hair. Now he’s in the “street cred” club. Good for him. May his luck hold out til he’s in his 90’s.

Old fart sez- Don’t play in traffic. Don’t run over Peds.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

My V8F and 18XL v2 have metal valve stems. I don't understand why some EUCs would use rubber valve stems.

Duf's inner tube has a metal valve stem too. He showed it in his video.

But I believe where the metal valve stem attaches to the rubber inner tube ripped and detached.

He can freely twirl the metal valve round and round.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

Duf's inner tube has a metal valve stem too. He showed it in his video.

But I believe where the metal valve stem attaches to the rubber inner tube ripped and detached.

He can freely twirl the metal valve round and round.

Other than the tire slipping on the rim, I don't see how the valve stem attachment point would get flexed, other than a small amount of flex when connecting an air chuck from a pump to inflate the tire to maintain tire pressure.

5 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

Other than the tire slipping on the rim, I don't see how the valve stem attachment point would get flexed, other than a small amount of flex when connecting an air chuck from a pump to inflate the tire to maintain tire pressure.

I actually never spend any time studying this, so I am not sure.

From my causal observation, I noticed the inner tube usually rotates with the tire, when the tire bead slips on the rim. But, the metal valve stem is still locked in the "valve hole" in the rim.

I just read 2 more cases today of BG wheels suddenly blowing out at the tube, causing a high speed crash. This may well be a much, much bigger and pervasive problem that could put every tube-tire Begode owner at risk unless this is addressed quickly, and publicly, by Begode.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

I just read 2 more cases today of BG wheels suddenly blowing out at the tube, causing a high speed crash. This may well be a much, much bigger and pervasive problem that could put every tube-tire Begode owner at risk unless this is addressed quickly, and publicly, by Begode.

Hi Rob (WGT).  Do you recommend a teardown of the wheel and inspect for burs and other sharp edges?  Also, do you know if the Extreme can accept a 241 knobby tire as a tubeless?  I'm thinking of switching over to tubeless if the Begode rim will provide a strong bead surface. 

27 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Hi Rob (WGT).  Do you recommend a teardown of the wheel and inspect for burs and other sharp edges?  Also, do you know if the Extreme can accept a 241 knobby tire as a tubeless?  I'm thinking of switching over to tubeless if the Begode rim will provide a strong bead surface. 

I honestly can't say for sure - I believe ethe extreme rim will fit a tubeless tire but I'm not in a position to say for sure. Tubeless tires in that particular size are a bit hard to come by, especially knobby/dual sport tires. I'd recommend tearing it down, removing the tire, and using a dremel around the valve stem hole to ensure there aren't any shape edges or burrs, then vacuuming/wiping out all the tiny dremeled bits to ensure there isn't anything cutting into the inner tube. I have been looking online for ways to protect the valve stem, and I found this: https://amzn.to/47UMuFE I don't know if you can slip that over the valve and this little doodad will protect it or not. Just an idea, and a long shot at that.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

It's been like this for years, seems like it takes a YouTube video for people to start taking it seriously.

36 minutes ago, Skampster said:

Can the Sherman S accept a tubeless tire? I assume the Lynx can. 

It can with slight modification(s). A member on here has done it and put it up on his YT channel

• Like 2

I just got a master, have a Nik+ and a V8f, and I just changed the master tire to street, so this interests me. In my thinking, something more or less stationary isn't going to "rip" off. I think through some deflation event, or just riding at to low a pressure, the tube isn't pushing the side wall of the tire to the rim hard enough, and the rim spins inside the tire, and rips off the stem. If pressure is low enough to let the rim spin inside the tire, tube or tubeless probably won't matter much. Since tons of people ride around on the bigger tires (16x3 and above) at psi's in the mid 20's to low 30's, that seems to be enough to hold the tire to the rim in most cases. I think he got a leak, or started out way to low, and hit the failure point, and went down. I imagine that the bigger tire spinning at 35mph has a crap ton of inertia (scientific term), and a little breaking would put a lot of force on the grip of the tire to the rim. All empirical of course, the stem could have just "ripped" off.

Another thing is he sprayed the tire down with bullsnot mounting lube before popping it on. No idea if that stays slippery or dries out. The wipe out happened a few weeks after he installed it.

Edited by Elwood
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Elwood said:

Another thing is he sprayed the tire down with bullsnot mounting lube before popping it on.

That's interesting. The practice is seen as clever but in this case it might have made things worse.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1