New V12Pro beeping while charging

StuartL

I've just received my new V12 Pro, unpacked it and the charge level is 28%.  I took it out of transport mode and confirmed that it balances fine.  I then put it on charge.

For the first few minutes there was nothing unusual, however it's now beeping every minute or two with three slow beeps and the front headlight is now on.  It does appear to be continuing to charge and reached 32% before I chickened out and disconnected the charger.

Does anyone know if this is normal?  Is it just trying to remind me that it's charging, or is this something worrying?  The manual is extremely terse and mentions nothing of the beeps or headlight.

It was powered off before I connected the charger, the screen has been activated by virtue of connecting the charger and I'm able to access settings.  Pressing the power button does not seem to turn the headlight on/off as it did on my V10 or V11, but the wheel is still 'off' while it's charging and I'm not sure if the headlight on/off is expected to work.

Does anyone have any comparable experience?  Part of me thinks this might be normal as a way of the EUC making you not forget that you left it on charge, but it's a pretty frequent and annoying beep if that's the case.

I would start with verifying that the charger has the right voltage with a multimeter.

Isnt the app showing any error after the diagnostic? If not, the next step is measuring both batteries if they are balanced.

Does the new V12 Pro have smart bms?  Can you see the voltages of the batteries? 

Edit:  I have looked for info on a smart bms for the V12 Pro and do not see cell level monitoring.  Just pack voltage.  Are the packs the same voltage?  Does the wheel need a firmware update?

Edited by Paradox

Minor update.  I reconnected the charger and updated the Inmotion app, it prompted for software update.  Software update is now done and the symptoms haven't changed, but I do have a little more information.

25 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

I would start with verifying that the charger has the right voltage with a multimeter.

Isnt the app showing any error after the diagnostic? If not, the next step is measuring both batteries if they are balanced.

The wheel is charging and I'm getting no alerts about voltages.

The app was a good shout.  I briefly had an alert showing on the wheel icon, tapped it and got a warning about not holding the power button while riding (I'm not riding, it's charging and turned off).  The screenshot is attached.

I managed to catch the wheel while it was actively beeping and the power button would not turn off the headlight.  I could feel it (mechanically) operating, it was just having no effect.

I captured the device log and uploaded it to Inmotion, and during this time the beeping stopped.  Immediately the yellow warning triangle vanished in the app and the power button started responding again, allowing me to turn the lights on/off.

1 minute ago, Paradox said:

Does the new V12 Pro have smart bms?  Can you see the voltages of the batteries? 

Yes, both battery packs have identical voltages, I can't see a way to see the voltages of the individual cells.

My current thinking (mostly speculation) is that there is a software or hardware fault with the power button, causing it to:

• Spontaneously turn the headlight on/off.
  • Think that the power button is being held down, even when the button isn't pressed.
  • Warn me about holding the power button, even though I'm not even in the same room.
  • Have no way to detect the power button being pressed, so I can't turn the lights off when they come on.

The EUC is still charging, we're at around 42% as I type this so I genuinely don't think there's anything wrong with the batteries, charger or charge circuitry.

Screenshot_20240715_131346_INMOTION.jpg

One more quick update: I just disconnected the charger while it was beeping to see what it would do.  The beeping stopped, the screen powered off, but I cannot turn the EUC on using the power button.  I'm leaning towards a hardware failure in the power button itself.  I've already emailed Inmotion service, and will follow up on that email.

• Sad 1

You got a lemon.. Simply exchange it to different unit.. Save-yourself headaches. If it has problems right out of box! Who knows what will happen down the road.. Dead battery pack, fried motherboard to easily, etc..

If i bought a wheel and it had some-kind problems right out of box - i would return it and ask for different unit, or refund $$$.

FYI - Try smashing the dam power button and see what happens.. If it's busted already - why not.

Try turning wheel off true APP.. 

If you can power on/off - the button isn't at fault. As you can't turn it on anymore - dead button - exchange the wheel..

Edited by Funky

34 minutes ago, Funky said:

FYI - Try smashing the dam power button and see what happens.. If it's busted already - why not.

Warranty :P :)

28 minutes ago, StuartL said:

Warranty :P :)

By smashing - i meant try pressing it like mad man.. You will use the warranty anyways to exchange the wheel/get the button fixed.

What you described is not normal for charging a V12. My V12HT never beeped like that while charging, and pressing the power button once should turn the light on or off.

I think you got a defective unit, maybe with a bad board given the unexpected beeping during charging and unusual headlight behavior. If it was just a physical issue with the power button, you probably wouldn't have been able to turn it on to begin with. Since the wheel can power on and balance, it's probably something downstream of the button being pressed.

That being said, the issues you describe could still potentially be related to the power button being physically stuck and causing unpredictable behavior and errors. The app diagnosis does seem to suggest something along those lines. Maybe you can push the button to turn on the wheel, but the button doesn't depress fully after turning on the wheel, leading to these weird errors?

Definitely follow up with your reseller or IM service to get the issue diagnosed and fixed before putting miles on the wheel, it will make your claim simpler.

Edited by bird
  • Upvote 3

Thanks to everyone for your help.  Inmotion gave me permission to do the disassembly myself, I didn't want to do the disassembly without speaking to them first for fear of voiding a warranty.

I removed both side panels and the front panel, revealing the potted switch module.  This module responded normally, so I knew it had to be something to do with the silicone rubber switch cover.  After reassembly the wheel works normally and I have done my first 10m before going to bed (it's late for an old man :)).

During disassembly this cover fell out freely, but when I reassembled the wheel the cover sat neatly in the hole in the front panel without falling out.  My best guess is that during manufacture the silicone cover (orange square on the V12 Pro) wasn't installed properly in the hole in the panel and when the wheel was finally assembled this cover was pressing the power switch near constantly.

I will say that disassembly is nearly very easy, apart from the f******g pedals.  My goodness they've made removing (and adjusting) the pedals on this thing difficult.  Four small Allen bolts that are only accessible with the short end of an Allen key because the pedal angle means that you can't get at them directly.  If anyone on here wants to remove and move the pedal position around regularly I recommend getting the longest ball-end T-handle Allen key you can find.

Now, sleep.  Tomorrow, we ride.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StuartL said:

Thanks to everyone for your help.  Inmotion gave me permission to do the disassembly myself, I didn't want to do the disassembly without speaking to them first for fear of voiding a warranty.

I removed both side panels and the front panel, revealing the potted switch module.  This module responded normally, so I knew it had to be something to do with the silicone rubber switch cover.  After reassembly the wheel works normally and I have done my first 10m before going to bed (it's late for an old man :)).

During disassembly this cover fell out freely, but when I reassembled the wheel the cover sat neatly in the hole in the front panel without falling out.  My best guess is that during manufacture the silicone cover (orange square on the V12 Pro) wasn't installed properly in the hole in the panel and when the wheel was finally assembled this cover was pressing the power switch near constantly.

I will say that disassembly is nearly very easy, apart from the f******g pedals.  My goodness they've made removing (and adjusting) the pedals on this thing difficult.  Four small Allen bolts that are only accessible with the short end of an Allen key because the pedal angle means that you can't get at them directly.  If anyone on here wants to remove and move the pedal position around regularly I recommend getting the longest ball-end T-handle Allen key you can find.

Now, sleep.  Tomorrow, we ride.

Quite impressive that a small detail was not tested before shipping, but nice that it works now. 

I had to disassemble my v14 before using it, there was some strange error in the app and reconecting all the batteries solved it

Wow, that is an odd one! Thanks for posting what the solution was.

Out of curiousity, once you full charge your wheel, does it show 99% or 100%? My new V12 Pro doesn’t seem to go past 99%, even after many hours on the charger.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, over the course of the last 24h, the original fault is back again and this time it's definitively not the rubber cover that's the problem.  I've reopened the discussion with Inmotion and shall update here.

@seanwheel: I've boxed it back up, but when I come to next charge it I'll let you know.  I do know that the Inmotion chargers have an in-charger cut-off, so it's plausible that the charger will cut off before the in-wheel BMS considers the battery to be 100%.  This is more likely to be a mathematical rounding error than a symptom of a problem.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, bird said:

How did you conclude the rubber cover is not the issue? Maybe it wiggled its way back into the stuck position?

I'm testing with all the covers off and pressing the switch directly 😁

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, SeanWheel said:

Wow, that is an odd one! Thanks for posting what the solution was.

Out of curiousity, once you full charge your wheel, does it show 99% or 100%? My new V12 Pro doesn’t seem to go past 99%, even after many hours on the charger.

Mine goes to 100, maybe yours is balancing it so that is why does not gets to 100 yet?