Leaperkim Sherman L 151V 4000wh 20" 102lbs

7 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Test from a player?

It's a community test that many people do together and those people agree that it is a good test, it's tangible and shows real usable results.

You're being completely ridiculous right now.

You are funny. If a test executed by many people together can be called trustworthy, there is no need to have a professional third party impartial testing institution, such as SGS and TUV. LoL

2 minutes ago, YCC said:

You are funny. If a test executed by many people together can be called trustworthy, there is no need to have a professional third party impartial testing institution, such as SGS and TUV. LoL

There is no impartial third party institution testing our wheels, what even is your point, where are you trying to go with all this?

20 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

There is no impartial third party institution testing our wheels, what even is your point, where are you trying to go with all this?

My point is you have your evidence and I have mine. And you have your believe and I have mine. However, I disagree that Lynx has the strongest torque than any other wheels. That is my point.

Edited by YCC

1 hour ago, YCC said:

My point is you have your evidence and I have mine. And you have your believe and I have mine. However, I disagree that Lynx has the strongest torque than any other wheels. That is my point.

Uh huh, but people also ride the wheels on the pull force list in reality and it pretty much matches the results there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timmytool said:

Science is doing stuff and writing down the results, 3d party testing is just data gathering as a business, it does not take away from community members doing the same especially when we dont have any 3rd party testing business that test euc's. Tuv is just our community testing codified and turned into a business to make lawyers and government bureaucrats happy actual data would be remarkable similar or identical to the communities data.

As far as trusting the manufacturer and there marketing numbers look at begode and there infamous speed numbers vs gps speed. Or vacuum manufacturers in the US and there wattage claims, or ebay etc lumen numbers for flashlight. Businesses have a incentive to lie especially when there is no or little accountability. The euc manufacturers have no incentive to be accountable for there numbers and no downsides if called out on lies.

Community bases data collection is our only data source thats reliable. In true scientific nature the testing methodology is shared so data can be replicated and thus trusted. Thats how scientific research papers are verified and reviewed.

There's lab testing under controlled environment vs. real-world application testing. The former is great for theoretical numbers that are great for marketing. The latter sets our realistic expectations.

5 hours ago, YCC said:

...professional third party impartial testing institution...

This is actually a good idea that I having been thinking about lately  as well. While I appreciate the work that has gone into the pull testing, it might be too cumbersome. I would like to work on a consumer group with you to evaluate wheels according to a streamlined consistent set of criteria. How does the Sherman L rank on the following in your personal experience: Reported battery fires in the last year (not testable yet)? 0-35mph in seconds ___sec Reported cutouts in last year (not testable yet) Is it still fun (of course it's subjective)? I have been riding my Z10 for about a year and a half now and it's still exciting to ride. Also please note any issues you experience for the L. For the Z10 my personal issues have been with learning to add air without popping the valve stem out, adding slime was pretty difficult. The pedals are way to short to accommodate and adults foot. Getting anything to stick to the shell is quite difficult. I am concerned the the Sherman L would feel like work to ride and that it would be a snore.

12 minutes ago, on one said:

This is actually a good idea that I having been thinking about lately  as well. While I appreciate the work that has gone into the pull testing, it might be too cumbersome. I would like to work on a consumer group with you to evaluate wheels according to a streamlined consistent set of criteria. How does the Sherman L rank on the following in your personal experience: Reported battery fires in the last year (not testable yet)? 0-35mph in seconds ___sec Reported cutouts in last year (not testable yet) Is it still fun (of course it's subjective)? I have been riding my Z10 for about a year and a half now and it's still exciting to ride. Also please note any issues you experience for the L. For the Z10 my personal issues have been with learning to add air without popping the valve stem out, adding slime was pretty difficult. The pedals are way to short to accommodate and adults foot. Getting anything to stick to the shell is quite difficult. I am concerned the the Sherman L would feel like work to ride and that it would be a snore.

I had a Z6 (same as Z10 but only one battery pack) and it definitely has a unique ride cause of the huge tubeless tire. Have you ridden other wheels besides your Z10? If not, then you would be in for a big difference in riding the SL. I had a Sherman-S and currently own the Patton. Your initial impression is likely to be negative because you're just going to be compare the new ride experience as something your body is not used to. But I'm a believer that after about 50miles+, your body will adjust and you'll start liking the SL (or any wheel you start riding long enough). I would not be so concern about the SL disappointing you. I believe you will end up loving it despite the initial negative impression due to your body not getting used to the SL. Good luck!

• Like 2

The other thing that I'm concerned about the L is that riding it around town would definitely get me stopped by the police. I might have to petition the court to let me ride it as a custom vehicle of sorts. I don't know if that's really even an option, it might be. Especially if I got it registered as experimental tek. I'm pretty sure we are allowed some kind of sanction in my country for experimental tek, I just don't know how to go about getting a permit yet.

I assume that if the SL is mainly for street, it's best to get the tubeless street tire? How about the suspension option? What is the recommended weight range (with gear on) for each of the suspension options?

4 minutes ago, on one said:

The other thing that I'm concerned about the L is that riding it around town would definitely get me stopped by the police. I might have to petition the court to let me ride it as a custom vehicle of sorts. I don't know if that's really even an option, it might be. Especially if I got it registered as experimental tek. I'm pretty sure we are allowed some kind of sanction in my country for experimental tek, I just don't know how to go about getting a permit yet.

If you live in the US all you have to do is say it's your mobility vehicle, you are not required to show proof of injury/handicap to justify using a mobility vehicle as a disabled person.

Now I don't know how they would feel about a mobility vehicle blasting past all traffic at 60mph, buy if you don't raise too many eyebrows in your local police station, you should be fine.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

If you live in the US all you have to do is say it's your mobility vehicle, you are not required to show proof of injury/handicap to justify using a mobility vehicle as a disabled person.

That's hilarious. Never thought of that one actually.

Had a brief convo with a local "officer friendly" the other day. He said that the stats on pevs have shown such a low injury/death rate worldwide and locally, for how many are used, that they are not seeking regulation at all. Which was good to hear.  They hear the few complaints from the few loud voices, but won't enforce. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tan Ho said:

I assume that if the SL is mainly for street, it's best to get the tubeless street tire? How about the suspension option? What is the recommended weight range (with gear on) for each of the suspension options?

So I see it as a street to trail, and back, wheel like the Cpro50s but with more range (and lighter btw). I ordered it 70lb with the street tire. My thoughts are I know I'd be changing out that stock kenda anyways, and the TNT tubeless street looks to be a clone of the CityGrip2, my favorite street tire.

I think if you're anywhere 180lbs and above, you'd want the 70lb shocks. Especially with the added weight of the batteries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tan Ho said:

I'm guessing Sherman L will be similar to Sherman S i.e a great all rounder that can do everything even technical trail riding.

There are some really nice improvements on this wheel. The best being the sensor-less operation at all speeds, which is an incredible safety feature that should be applauded. This is currently the best wheel out there in my option.

However it’s totally stupid the way forks are still joined in the same (bad) way as the Sherman S, and the rest of their suspension wheels.

The controller box should be a solid aluminum box that does 3 jobs. Firstly house the controller, secondly absorb and dissipate heat from the controller, and thirdly brace the forks together.

This is basically what the Commander Pro does. It’s a much stronger, and actually a much simpler design with way less fasteners. If their engineers didn’t think of it with their first suspension wheel fine, but at least correct it by now.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

@Rawnei 

Firstly it increases the amount of fasteners which is not a good thing. More parts and more chance for things to come loose. Secondly it’s simply not as ridged. Less direct connection holding together 3 parts with multiple small screws.

I don’t see any problem with “precise tolerances”. We’re talking about a circular hole being drilled to accept the top of the forks, and a clamping mechanism to keep it tight.

The fork situation isn’t the only problem I have with their design, just the most glaring. I also think the pedals should not attach to the battery boxes (especially without a low central roller to take the weight, like the Commander Pro has).

Instead there should be a pedal hanger coming down from the top section of the fork itself. This takes all weight off the battery boxes, and again makes things stronger. This is a rough drawing I shared in the Sherman S thread way back then, showing what I mean.

IMG_1312.png

11 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

@Rawnei 

Firstly it increases the amount of fasteners which is not a good thing. More parts and more chance for things to come loose. Secondly it’s simply not as ridged. Less direct connection holding together 3 parts with multiple small screws.

I don’t see any problem with “precise tolerances”. We’re talking about a circular hole being drilled to accept the top of the forks, and a clamping mechanism to keep it tight.

The fork situation isn’t the only problem I have with their design, just the most glaring. I also think the pedals should not attach to the battery boxes (especially without a low central roller to take the weight, like the Commander Pro has).

Instead there should be a pedal hanger coming down from the top section of the fork itself. This takes all weight off the battery boxes, and again makes things stronger. This is a rough drawing I shared in the Sherman S thread way back then, showing what I mean.

IMG_1312.png

Well I think the design has been proven by now do be both durable and reliable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Well I think the design has been proven by now do be both durable and reliable.

It works fine but it’s not the best design. If “good enough” was good enough we’d still be riding the original Sherman. These are simple fixes that don’t increase costs and aren’t difficult to implement, but would make the wheels more ridged, simpler, and more durable. That’s my option anyway.

4 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

Now I don't know how they would feel about a mobility vehicle blasting past all traffic at 60mph, buy if you don't raise too many eyebrows in your local police station, you should be fine.

They'd know that you are tricking them, because a person with some kind of movement/anatomical disability is not about to be riding EUC.... I'd rather say, that it is in the category of scooters.

Edited by jmsjms

3 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

They'd know that you are tricking them

Of course. But none of them want the mounds of paperwork that goes along with ticketing or prosecuting something like this. I think a guy would really have to be riding stupid to get that type of attention. If it ever came to it, I think I'd say "I'm just trying to get home!"

Maybe it'd get a laugh or something..

6 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

The controller box should be a solid aluminum box that does 3 jobs. Firstly house the controller, secondly absorb and dissipate heat from the controller, and thirdly brace the forks together.

I have no issues with strength and heat absoption. My main concern is EM radiation right under your genitals.

I know Inmotion get all their PEVs tested by the FCC to meet EM radition regulations. I haven't been able to find on the FCC site any other Chinese manufacturers. Kingsong have a FCC number but last test was begining of EUCs. Additionally the habit of some Leaperkim wheels switching off (?) going past automatic doors suggest minimal shielding. I believe a firmware update fixed this.

4 hours ago, vikingto said:

... none of them want the mounds of paperwork that goes along with ticketing or prosecuting something like this.

Disagree. Those guys don't stop you.

The ones that do, from my experience enjoy the experience and invariably throw in a little lecture about how you are endangering old ladies and children ignoring the absurdity of themselves driving their cruiser across footpaths and parks to stop you.

On 7/11/2024 at 4:31 PM, Clem604 said:

Just popped down to Eevees to check out the new Sherman L. I wasn't allowed to ride it (yet) so I can't give you guys any ride impressions other than the test rider saying that the wheel is more responsive at low and high speed.

Eevees is now letting people ride the Sherman-L.

It seems to me Leaper Kim is going upscale. 

I think it gets its light-on-its-feet feel from the Lynx's DNA. However, I can still feel the inertia of the 4000 Ah battery. I am not used to riding range wheels (3600+ Wh), but for you, you may find it an upgrade. Using car analogy, maybe Audi A6? It has a solid, premium quality feel to it. 

• Like 3