Forward-Back Rocking at High Speeds

Hello. I have been riding for about 2-3 months now on my first euc,  begode ex30. It has 3 forward/back acceleration tilt modes: soft (extra tilt needed), medium (some tilt), strong (limited tilt). I learned on soft but as I get in the 44+ mph range I get severe forward/back rocking. 

I read a suggestion that this was due to too much weight on the front of the euc. I changed tilt settings to moderate to compensate. Now however,  no matter how much I lean forward or push down my feet I can't get above 40 mph. 

I then changed to strong and was able to get up to 44 mph without any front/back rocking however again I capped at that speed no matter how much I tried to lean. 

Has anyone dealt with something similar and what adjustments did you have to make?

Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Update: performed two different trials. I left the mode in strong and shifted my pads towards the rear so as I leaned my center of gravity was more centered on the euc. Couldn't get above 42 without having to exert a ton of force forward and feeling imbalanced. 

Trial 2 I shifted the pads forward. My original position had my shoes off the pedals by about an inch, now riding at about 1.5-2inches forward off the pedal. Easy to accelerate but again at 46-47mph experienced rocking and a little bit of wobble while turning. 

Hi @nikstykal!

Forward/Back rocking is most likely caused by the rider.

The EUC is "regulated" by a PID loop which dampens oscillations. Some EUCs have parameters set up more agressive, some with more dampening - but the determining factor is often the human input.

You for sure know the youtube vids of segway beginners starting to rock the segway more or less in the moment of mounting until they get rescued or fall off... Seems to be some "subconscious" muscular panic reaction which hinder the self balancing algorithm to work and instead causes oscillation.

Soft/medium/hard mode have different dampening parameters and some may suit better ones "muscular reactions".

Should imho be mainly just a question of time - take it easier with the higher speeds and you'll automatically learn to 'cooperate" with your wheel.

Same could be true with your acceleration experience. Acceleration of an euc is determined by the torque one applies to the pedals (chassis - pedal and pads).  The same torque can be applied in different ways - sometimes one thinks one handles it perfect but subconsciously the body restricts the "effectiveness" of ones efforts.

Time should help again or some video analysis.

Of course the EUC could have faults or troubles, too which lead to or increase this problems. Like a loose motherboard/broken chassis can lead to oscillation.

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

It might be nothing to do with your problem but I'm sure there was a certain early firmware on the EX30 that gave oscillations at speed, to a dangerous level IIRC.

On 6/21/2024 at 9:02 AM, Planemo said:

It might be nothing to do with your problem but I'm sure there was a certain early firmware on the EX30 that gave oscillations at speed, to a dangerous level IIRC.

This was it!! Hadn't checked firmware since purchase.  I updated it last night and zero oscillations after, was able to get up to 52-55mph with steady balance. Appreciate the advice!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nikstykal said:

This was it!! Hadn't checked firmware since purchase.  I updated it last night and zero oscillations after, was able to get up to 52-55mph with steady balance. Appreciate the advice!

Good stuff :)

Out of interest, do you remember what FW was in it, and which you upgraded to? Might help someone in the future via the searches.

Here’s the thing, you can buy fast cars or bikes that will do 300 kilometres per hour but you still have to be smart or it will KILL you or go to jail.

If you’re in a hurry to reach the light at the end of the tunnel just keep doing what you’re doing you’ll get there.

3 hours ago, Big Bad Ron said:

Here’s the thing, you can buy fast cars or bikes that will do 300 kilometres per hour but you still have to be smart or it will KILL you or go to jail.

If you’re in a hurry to reach the light at the end of the tunnel just keep doing what you’re doing you’ll get there.

44mph+ is very fast and can inflict serious damage to the human body. So it is ok to warn people - but as it seems @nikstykal had everything more or less under control even with the bad old aggressive firmware which tended to oscillations. Unfortunately i did not think of this "old" gotway mishap but greatly @Planemo remembered this shortcoming so this problem is resolved.

If this speeds are done with some foresight, best on racetracks with good equipment in good bodily shape i cannot see any deathwish.