When will we get modular/hot swappable batteries?

It's been talked about for a long time on this forum, and while the list in the fire history thread keeps growing so does the communal desire for hot swappable batteries. 

As someone who personally experienced a LG M50T cell induced fire, I'll personally never bring EUC batteries inside my own home ever again and so the idea of being able to place a little metal box outside my home, with a lock on it, for charging the batteries outside is really appealing to me. 

Kudos to the company that makes just just 1 or 2 standardized sizes (long pack vs wide pack) with different voltages f.x: 
100.8V Long pack, 100.8V Wide pack, 134.4V Long pack, 134.4V Wide pack etc. kinda like these

Gogoro-battery-swap-251286912.thumb.jpeg.b94f4016bbf4f0760f78b8054c90d793.jpegTT_TIER_16_0160_fullsize-3694614958.thumb.jpg.1110c5d470919dcf7dda6c58785fb46e.jpgbenly-e-2650703295.thumb.jpg.ea435a46abac744394600c94a8238203.jpg

This would make projects reusing old EUC a lot better. If they had done this from the beginning we could have theoretically reused 4x old  820Wh 67.2V Long packs/Wide packs in parallel to achieve 1640Wh 134.4V.

or 4x old 1020Wh 84V Long packs/Wide packs in series&parallel to achieve 2040Wh 168V

or 2x old 1800Wh 100.8V LP/WP in series&parallel to achieve 1800Wh 201.6V

side note: how long before we see 201.6V systems?

Edited by xiiijojjo

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Eucs need euc specific packs to not injure the rider.

Of course, that goes without saying :)

I'm thinking the ET MAX battery would qualify well for the long pack format, if it was incased in metal.

and the GT pro battery would qualify well for the wide pack format, if it was incased in metal.

I imagine the packs to be completely covered by metal, with a single button/lever, that if pushed, will unlock the battery from the frame and also extend a tiny handle to make carrying easier.

This way the manufacturers can focus on increasing the structural integrity of the batteries, rather than having metal side panels on the shell. These batteries would double as side panels.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, modern suspension EUCs have batteries consisting of two modules connected in series. On top of that, an EUC battery consists of two such sets, which are connected in parallel. Thus, it would be necessary to replace all four modules at the same time, which, in addition, would have to be so interconnected and electronically interlocked that they could only work with each other, in a strictly defined configuration.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Unfortunately, modern suspension EUCs have batteries consisting of two modules connected in series. On top of that, an EUC battery consists of two such sets, which are connected in parallel. Thus, it would be necessary to replace all four modules at the same time, which, in addition, would have to be so interconnected and electronically interlocked that they could only work with each other, in a strictly defined configuration.

Thank you for clarifying, I wasn't quite sure if it was possible. 

In any case, removable batteries are still a great idea, even if reusing old ones like I described wouldn't work out. 

I still hope the manufacturers either switch to solid state batteries (not gonna happen for a while) or start figuring out a way to implement removable batteries. 

This is a great idea for e-bikes and e-scooters which use a single battery. It allows swapping between 2 batteries for extended range, bringing the battery inside while leaving the vehicle outside, and easy part replacement should the battery reach end of life. Virtually none of these benefits apply to e-wheels, and there are particular problems as well…

• E-wheels essentially have 4 separate battery packs connected in parallel, which must be charged and discharged together at all times to remain the same voltage.

• E-wheels typically have around 2-4x the battery capacity of most e-bikes and e-scooters, meaning there is little need to swap the batteries for more range.

• E-wheels are much more compact than e-bikes and e-scooters, making it easy to bring the entire vehicle inside, rather than just the removable battery.

• Lastly, e-wheel batteries are so big that it accounts for the majority of the price of the vehicle (even more so than other PEVs). If you had to replace the entire battery, it would likely cost as much as a new wheel. Although I suppose there might be the possibility of replacing a single faulty sub-pack, but I’m not sure how feasible that is with different battery aging etc.

So I think there’s little to no reason to have modular batteries in e-wheels, and I don’t expect it to happen.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

This is a great idea for e-bikes and e-scooters which use a single battery. It allows swapping between 2 batteries for extended range, bringing the battery inside while leaving the vehicle outside, and easy part replacement should the battery reach end of life. Virtually none of these benefits apply to e-wheels, and there are particular problems as well…

• E-wheels essentially have 4 separate battery packs connected in parallel, which must be charged and discharged together at all times to remain the same voltage.

• E-wheels typically have around 2-4x the battery capacity of most e-bikes and e-scooters, meaning there is little need to swap the batteries for more range.

• E-wheels are much more compact than e-bikes and e-scooters, making it easy to bring the entire vehicle inside, rather than just the removable battery.

• Lastly, e-wheel batteries are so big that it accounts for the majority of the price of the vehicle (even more so than other PEVs). If you had to replace the entire battery, it would likely cost as much as a new wheel. Although I suppose there might be the possibility of replacing a single faulty sub-pack, but I’m not sure how feasible that is with different battery aging etc.

So I think there’s little to no reason to have modular batteries in e-wheels, and I don’t expect it to happen.

Valid observations, and I agree that modular batteries don't make much sense when it comes to practicality.
For me it's simply a safety feature as current lithium battery technology is prone to fires, and having experienced one myself I now understand the raw and rapid destructive power of a lithium fire, so you won't find me fucking around, because I already found out. 
I would just prefer to not have to store my entire EUC outdoors for multiple reasons, and I'm never bringing 100Wh+ lithium-ion batteries inside my home again. I have a 700Wh LiFePO4 powerstation but LiFePO4 burns very differently from Li-ion, and is far less prone to fires in the first place, and the biggest Li-ion battery I have in my home now is a 80Wh in a laptop.

There are just far too many PEV fires (not just euc) to ignore how important modular batteries are for mitigating house/apartment complex fires... If I was only risking my own life I wouldn't really care, and would just charge the EUC inside because of the convenience factor, but since I'm living with others I can't put their lives in danger. 

• Like 1