New to EUC charging questions

I just bought myself a new inmotion v8f and really excited to ride it in the next few days. I had a couple questions regarding the charging with the original charger.

When I'm charging it for the first time the volts is at about 85.37 when i thought it was supposed to be charging at 84 volts? Is the battery getting overcharged? After unplugging and letting it sit it's now at 84.83 volts. Is this normal? Sorry for this noob question I'm still learning about batteries. I'm scared will this make it catch on fire?

And second question is it says on darknessbot remaining mileage is 26 km at 100% when distance should be ~55km according to the manual. Thank you so much guys for the reply's and any tips.

new-to-euc-charging-questions-v0-dq1y144new-to-euc-charging-questions-v0-yh61oz3new-to-euc-charging-questions-v0-83virz3new-to-euc-charging-questions-v0-4a90kz3

• Like 1

That’s not normal. Your single cell voltage has been 4.2685 and the wheel should have stopped charging when the first cell reaches 4.2 volts even if the charger has wrong voltage. Chargers are known to have bad calibration and can be checked. 

Have you checked these numbers on Inmotion app also? Have you set DarknessBot for your wheel? I think you need to set it for the right battery size and voltage for it to give you correct numbers especially on range. 

If Inmotion app gives you these same voltage numbers, contact your dealer. 

To me it seems like you have either two problems or the wheel gives wrong measurement. The latter is also possible. Otherwise the charger gives wrong voltage and  also the BMS fails to stop charging at 4.2 volts. I don’t know if the BMS has its own voltage meter. In any case that should be checked. Charging over the 4.2 volt threshold is not good for longevity and if you go much higher it also gets dangerous. 

I’m really discouraged now and it’s 2 am I’m worried that my EUC will catch fire. I think I made the wrong choice buying this.

Posted (edited)

Perfectly normal for apps to read voltage incorrectly by a small margin, the voltage is also reads higher in a wheel when it's plugged in. It's perfectly fine, even if the voltage really is 85v total/4.26v per cell than that's within a pretty healthy margin for the cells and they're definitely not going to catch fire - each cell can go up to 4.5v (90v total, which you're way underneath) and still be in a 'safe' region. Unplug it, chillax, go to bed, have a good sleep, take it for a ride tomorrow and don't stress about it too much.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbdec262640a08505e06438cf4639706.jpeg

Edited by Frolic0415
  • Like 1

V8F should shut off all charging if any cell pair reaches maximum voltage, a bit over 4.2 volts. This should work even if the charger has higher voltage. 

If you contact Inmotion service, they can do an online "calibration": you do a full charge on the V8F, then get Inmotion to due the "calibration", which will just set the displayed voltage to 84 volts.

You could buy a rapid charger, like the eWheels rapid charger but don's set it over 3 amps for the V8F. It has a display that shows voltage. It will also go into standby and shut off charging once the current drops below 0.3 amp.

If using the stock charger, the V8F will shut off charging if a cell pair reaches maximum voltage, then will slowly drain voltage down to 82.5 volts before reenabling charging, which will take about 20 minutes for a cell pair to reach maximum voltage, repeating the 8 hour 20 minute cycle. It's not clear if there is any balancing going on during this time. Since the eWheels charger shuts off completely, so does the V8F, and there is no slow voltage drain.

The voltage measurement isn't as exact as one would think. Also, even if it's right, the voltage per cell is above the standard but still perfectly fine.

As for distance measurements, the manufacturers blatantly overestimate (one could say lie) about the range. If you are 50kg, ride at 15kph in 25+ degrees weather maybe you can get that range.

But range always highly depends on the rider's speed and weight (and some other factors like temperature), so you can always only ever have a rough estimate. And Darknessbot estimates certainly closer to ground truth than the laughable Inmotion app claim.

In short, looks like everything is exactly as it should be with your new wheel:)