EUC fashion...

The problem of substance abuse is a significant factor in these accidents too. It's still sad though, nobody deserves to get injured like that.

2 hours ago, Anthraksi said:

It's always going to be other people on the road. Cyclist especially ride like they just got out of a mental hospital. Crossing roads at 40kmh speeds without looking, riding on the wrong side of the bike path and such. Enough speed, wrong side of the road and a corner thats just obstructed enough is a recipe that almost every time results in a crash and there aint shit you can do about it if it happens fast enough.

This very fact is actually quite alarming, especially when the perpetrators are full grown adults, not toddlers nor teens.

However, because I have witnessed this kind of behaviour all the time for so many years, and I see others, mostly drivers have also, most cyclists get to live another day because "others" save their ass by driving defensively.

Having said that, I would also add that, in addition to what had been said above, there can be additional risks one can get exposed to on an euc.

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

Even discounting human error and assuming a perfect rider theres other things that can happen. MoBo failure, deer running out on you, tyre blowout, someone running some lights, the list is endless no matter how perfect a rider thinks they are or indeed they actually are.

But some will still avoid helmets because they are perfect lol.

Deer - not happening. Or i will see it miles ahead.

Tyre blowout? Do they even happen?

No lights ridding on sidewalk..

MoBo failure, battery dieing is the only thing that scares me.. If that happens - so be it. I don't even count winter "slides".. Because they are bound to happen. Last winter alone i fall 3 times. Luckily you got that puffy winter jacket and thick jeans - so you don't really feel the slide/fall. Somehow i didn't hit my head.. If nothing else. Riding EUC in winter is safer than bicycle. (When bicycle slides.. You land sideways and it hurts. On EUC you simply run out of fall, or slide sideways as wheel slide sideways out of your feet.)

Doh in summer ridding in T-shirt/Short - it gonna hurt. Still i won't gear up riding 15-20mph for 2-3 mile commute. -Yup- Wheel failure is the only thing that gonna get me someday. And i know that.

Gearing up for that one fall that May or May Not happen in 2-3-5 years.. Seems kinda stupid to me. (3 years so far - not a single unplanned fall and counting.) Hammers the heck out of that hard, hard wood, so i may not jinx my fat ass saying this!!!!!:laughbounce2:

I'm wearing wrist guards doh.. :D That's plenty. I'm gonna fall on hands anyways, when i'm gonna fall. Because you are leaning forwards - you won't land on your ass. (I have pretty fast reflexes - that also helps. Also back of my mind i'm kinda expecting a fall any moment i ride a EUC.)

12 hours ago, Cerbera said:

But there is no accounting for human error, which can strike at any time !

Add also EUC failure - no need for Human Error..

13 hours ago, winterwheel said:

If I ever came to seriously think these things can't be ridden safely I would stop riding them. 

2 hours ago, Anthraksi said:

Technical errors aren't even on the top of the list of reasons to crash that are unrelated to you and your skills.

It's always going to be other people on the road. Cyclist especially ride like they just got out of a mental hospital. Crossing roads at 40kmh speeds without looking, riding on the wrong side of the bike path and such. Enough speed, wrong side of the road and a corner thats just obstructed enough is a recipe that almost every time results in a crash and there aint shit you can do about it if it happens fast enough.

Luckily i have no other people on sidewalks - where i ride. (One pro not living in big/busy city.) And if there are some pedestrians - i normally slow down around them.. Especially if i'm coming from back and they haven't notices me coming. Who knows.. Maybe they sidestep out of nowhere - who knows! Gotta be ready for that!

Edited by Funky

Just now, winterwheel said:

I sometimes think I'm the only one who isn't scared of his ride.

There's quite some distance between 'aware of risk' and 'scared of ride'.

I heard somebody in the video talking about THC and I saw a bottle with unknown contents, could have been a mixed drink. So when you add everything up: drunk and stoned, riding a high powered EUC with no protection whatsoever, showing off for the group makes the chances of a horrific outcome extremely high. Other than that, riding clear headed and responsibly is pretty safe.

Just now, winterwheel said:

I know

Sorry; I should have expanded that to say that I think 90% of riders are the former rather than the latter.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

the other 10% are the ones who post constantly

They would do tho, wouldn't they ?! They are the most worried, so seek the most reassurance from the confidence (or not) of the rest of us !

In that respect they must find you damn helpful ! :D

Edited by Cerbera

Just now, on one said:

You just posted constantly.

We both did ! And you've done at least 3 ! But what is the problem here - is this not how conversation works ?

• Haha 1

I'm trying to make your topic blow up, lol. Seriously though riding an EUC is quite safe, especially if we make stopping and dismounting, then remounting a habit. I find that the desire to keep in motion at all times leads me into the zone of risk, whereas just a simple stop and dismount at a stop sign is good for safety.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, on one said:

quite safe, especially if we make stopping and dismounting, then remounting a habit.

There's a lot to be said for that advice. Not only does doing that help beginners overcome the fear of free-mounting, but also allows for a 'reset' of foot position, and can also be used as a brief respite from 'tired feet syndrome' too...

• Thanks 1

I take a ride through the grave yard as a mindful shortcut every week, and then down past the emergency room at our hospital. Quite sobering.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

There's a lot to be said for that advice. Not only does doing that help beginners overcome the fear of free-mounting, but also allows for a 'reset' of foot position, and can also be used as a brief respite from 'tired feet syndrome' too...

Huh you don't move you feet around pedal while riding? Like lifting left/right feet mid ride and moving it forwards/backwards? Ridding one legged isn't that hard. And you lift you feet maybe 1cm from pedal.. Or simply slide it around without lifting. 

I thought that was natural... As feet sitting in one position start to hurt over time.

Dam - i must be a pro, if i can do that mid ride. :D 

Edited by Funky

I also mount my wheel like i were to walk up a staircase. I have found out it's the same. No wheel leaning against leg, etc.. Simple small staircase foot lift. I normally do that in middle of people - where i can't speed off (push off the ground like skateboard.) and i need to stand in place on wheel. Maybe moving forwards 1-3kph speed.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Funky said:

Huh you don't move you feet around pedal while riding? Like lifting left/right feet mid ride and moving it forwards/backwards? Ridding one legged isn't that hard. And you lift you feet maybe 1cm from pedal.. Or simply slide it around without lifting. 

I thought that was natural... As feet sitting in one position start to hurt over time.

Dam - i must be a pro, if i can do that mid ride. :D 

Oh yes, constantly ! But that's not necessarily quite as good as the 'full reset' you get by remounting.

• Like 1

The foot aching thing gets less and less the more I ride. But I notice that for me, when my feet start to ache, if I stop for 5 minutes then go back to riding then I can ride a lot longer with out any foot aching at all. I wonder if body is producing endorphins by this time and that's why I don't feel the aching anymore even after prolonged riding?

I also normally step off for 30 second walk maybe 5 steps and get back on wheel. - The pain goes away fast. (After 15-20km ridden i normally start to feel discomfort.) My daily commute is ~4km, at which time my feet doesn't hurt at all.

Anyways - guys we are getting Off-Topic and Admins really i mean really! REALLY!!! don't like that. So please lets all get back to topic. And talk about that hairdo.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1