KS18XL hall sensor error

pressbyron

Hello Community!

I bought a used KS18XL ~7500km and i've been riding it for approx 200km and under these 200km i've gotten maybe 3-4 times the wheel making a load sound with some janky movement, happened usually while riding at lower speeds. Sometimes it just continued and sometimes it started beeping at me until i restarted it. Last time i managed to go into the kingsong app and look at the diagnostic tab and it said "motor hall sensor error" or something very similar.

As far as I understand this sensor is inside the motor; is the only "fix" a new motor (I don't think i have technical knowhow to fix the sensor itself; also there is no good shops around that does this kind of work)? I also read that it is only used at lower speeds; anyone know if this is true? (or am I in risk of a faceplant at 45km/h? :D
The wheel is pretty danged up with cracks in the outer shell (inner shell is replaced to a white one quite recently) and the trolley handle is very wonky (takes convincing to get up/down).
Could this affect anything?

Anyone know if a motor replacement is hard or if it just a matter of disassamble/put togheter the wheel again with some connections to unplug/plug? I'm not very technical when it comes to electronics so going in with voltmeters and things is not something I feel very comfortable with :)

Any suggestions would be awesome! Would like to be able to ride this wheel for atleast a year or 2 so if a new motor is a "quick" fix that is quite cheap fix for me.

Most likely first and last time I buy a used wheel :|

Cheers!

Edited by pressbyron
  • Like 1

Replacing the motor is not overly difficult. You could probable do it. You brought up the question of whether or not it's safe to ride a wheel with so many kilometers on it. I wonder the same thing. If you take care during the tear-down and replace the batteries and anything else that looks like it needs replacing I think you could rebuild it.

7.000km isn't that many.. 20-30.000k now that's many.

Only battery can go bad over time, but if battery is charging fully and you don't notice major range reduction. You can ride till it starts falling apart.. As mentioned you can replace broken/worn out parts.

Motor exchange is same as tire change.. Just extra step of going inside of motor itself. (If you are changing ONLY the motor.. Or are you talking about whole unit? Motor/Rim/Motor covers? Then you need to put tire on only..) Yes you will need to unplug some connections while doing "tire change" 4 connections, if you want to know. (Motor wire, 2 batteries, hall sensor.)

As for trolley handle - those "latches with screws" holding the handle housing itself needs to be loose - so it can move up/down. If you screw those screws very tightly, the handle housing can't move. (When you lift by handle it turns off motor, putting down it turns on motor. When you do it - the handle housing is moving up/down.) 

My dad screwed those side screws very tightly and could not get the handle to pop down.. He needed to hit the handle in by hands.

Yellow circles..

1300905677-futureconnectorforcellvoltage

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

If you work on it yourself then it's possible to rebuild your electric unicycle better than new because you will take more care than the factory, but if are careless then the wheel could end up being more dangerous than new. Another good thing about rebuilding it yourself is that when you ride your wheel you will feel good about yourself for having fixed it. And you could add water proofing.

@woke rider I was thinking safety-wise mostly from this error alone. Ofc there could be other issues with a used wheel but so far the rest seems to be holding up :)

Replacing the motor is not overly difficult. - this sounds promising. I will see if I can find a youtube tutorial about it :)

@Funky I was thinking of replacing the whole thing and then also put on a new tire; so that should be "easy". The difficult part seems to be to find a replacement part as only sites i find it is "out of stock". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pressbyron said:

As far as I understand this sensor is inside the motor; is the only "fix" a new motor

It could be bad hall sensor cables or problems with their connector to the motherboard, too.

I'd check this before changing the motor!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Chriull said:

It could be bad hall sensor cables or problems with their connector to the motherboard, too.

I'd check this before changing the motor!

Lite cables being loose/damaged? :) Would this be visible with just removing the outer shells?

24 minutes ago, woke rider said:

How is the tread on your tire?

Decent but as far I know not changed ever on these 7000km, so if i'm taking out the motor from the shell I would change the tire as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pressbyron said:

Lite cables being loose/damaged? :) Would this be visible with just removing the outer shells?

Middle connection yes, you will be available to see it. But there is another connector that plugs right into motherboard. (That one is usually siliconed "shut". Ofc if old owner didn't unplug it sometime.. Doing inner shell change he should not have unplugged it.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Funny thing - my hall sensor connector got damaged while doing tire change - i simply bought aftermarket plug and soldered new/better connector.

Only negative is when i will need new motor or motherboard - will need to change connector right out of the box on the new component.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

You could sell it for parts to get your money back. It seems like the motor is very expensive.  But the parts are questionable if it is unknown what the problem is. Still, you could take it all apart and then just part it out and accept refunds. Do you mind my asking how much it cost?