Already Wanting to Upgrade from my V8S

I discovered EUCs a few weeks ago and decided to get a V8S off InMotion's website for $700. I wanted a good beginner wheel since I've never been much of a daredevil and I wasn't sure how much I would like it.

Fast forward to today and I'm obsessed with it and really want something with a little more power. I'm not interested in going at super high speeds but I would like to be able to hit ~35mph.

I've been thinking about getting a V11Y but was just going to see if anyone has any other suggestions? I don't know much about Begode or Kingsong but would be open to anything!

• Like 1

The V11Y is great, as will be pretty much any other even more powerful wheel. Go by price and by which model you simply just like.

You will wear a full face helmet and other gear (wrist guards, knee pads), right? That's the important thing at the stage you seem to be at.

Friendly warning. One big thing is - with more powerful EUC's comes bigger weight.. Do you have any stairs, or really any place where you need to carry your wheel? Think twice about that, before buying bigger wheel. If you don't need to carry it at all. You got so many great options to choose from.

Look up on YouTube disassembly videos of the wheels you thinking about buying. They usually show how easy a tire change will be, or in general how good the wheel is built.

Also if you wanna ride 35mph often. Get wheel that can do at least 40mph.. You know - extra safety margin, etc.. Riding close to max wheel rate speed can be dangerous. Especially when battery gets lower.. You will lose top speed fast. In your shoes i would look at 45mph wheels, if i wanted to ride 35mph all the time.

Edited by Funky

On 4/14/2024 at 2:18 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

The V11Y is great, as will be pretty much any other even more powerful wheel. Go by price and by which model you simply just like.

You will wear a full face helmet and other gear (wrist guards, knee pads), right? That's the important thing at the stage you seem to be at.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to wait a bit for my tax return to come in and see how I'm feeling. I wear a bike helmet and wrist guards, but that's it. If I get a much faster EUC I'll invest in more comprehensive protective gear.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:46 PM, Funky said:

Friendly warning. One big thing is - with more powerful EUC's comes bigger weight.. Do you have any stairs, or really any place where you need to carry your wheel? Think twice about that, before buying bigger wheel. If you don't need to carry it at all. You got so many great options to choose from.

Look up on YouTube disassembly videos of the wheels you thinking about buying. They usually show how easy a tire change will be, or in general how good the wheel is built.

Also if you wanna ride 35mph often. Get wheel that can do at least 40mph.. You know - extra safety margin, etc.. Riding close to max wheel rate speed can be dangerous. Especially when battery gets lower.. You will lose top speed fast. In your shoes i would look at 45mph wheels, if i wanted to ride 35mph all the time.

Yeah, that's definitely a consideration but I think it's a worthy trade-off. Honestly, I'll probably keep my V8S for awhile, regardless of whether or not I get a new wheel.

I ran into some EUC riders recently and I'm thinking about getting the Kingsong S22, which I know would be jumping right to the top, but I know I'm going to enjoy this hobby for a long time and I don't want to have to upgrade for awhile. I'll still do some more research, but what are your thoughts on going to the top like that? I think I do a pretty good job so far of not getting cocky and ahead of myself as I'm still pretty new to this and really don't want to risk my safety too much.

36 minutes ago, frownifdown said:

Yeah, that's definitely a consideration but I think it's a worthy trade-off. Honestly, I'll probably keep my V8S for awhile, regardless of whether or not I get a new wheel.

I ran into some EUC riders recently and I'm thinking about getting the Kingsong S22, which I know would be jumping right to the top, but I know I'm going to enjoy this hobby for a long time and I don't want to have to upgrade for awhile. I'll still do some more research, but what are your thoughts on going to the top like that? I think I do a pretty good job so far of not getting cocky and ahead of myself as I'm still pretty new to this and really don't want to risk my safety too much.

Can't say much as i will never join the "big  wheel" party. And everyone can do what ever they want. Some people start out on these 40kg wheels right from the start. Skipping the learner wheel. (If i needed a fast/big wheel, i also would have bought one right from the start.) I am fine with 40kmh wheel. We can't ride on streets here and going 40kmh on sidewalks are plenty. I personally gonna buy someday even smaller wheel. Not a bigger one, simply because i need to carry my wheel often and daily commutes are 5km. I'm waiting for that perfect 20kg small wheel.. Have no need of any of these "new" 30kg+ wheels.

Edited by Funky

49 minutes ago, frownifdown said:

I search "electric unicycle" regularly on ebay and if you do the same you'll find all kinds of good deals on used wheels. Couple weeks ago there were multiple used Begode Masters going for 1500-1700 bucks.

This is a great time of year to be searching on ebay every day, as people are upgrading their wheels and selling their nice old wheels. Just like if you upgraded now and sold your barely used V8S, that would be a good deal for somebody probably.

V11 used will go for 1100-1200 bucks, and that's the best deal for a suspension wheel.

Master for 1500-1700 might be an even better deal though, if you value performance over build quality.

Even with these new wheels that are newer than the Master, the power/performance seems to be about the same, since these newer wheels are heavier with bigger batteries.

So the specs on these newer wheels might show bigger motor and higher voltage than the Master, but the performance ends up being about the same due to weight.

For a new wheel, hard to beat the V11Y you have your eye on.

This site here also has excellent deals on higher end wheels. It's Alien Rides which also has good deals, but it's an alternative web page where they offer the same wheels with lower price and the warranty only covers parts instead of parts and labor. 

Like, that Begode Extreme looks very very bad ass, and so does the Commander Pro and the EX30.

Living in Denver you might want to think about having an off-road tire on your wheel. Or you might just want to have a sweet street tire for the summer months on pavement, like the V11Y tire or the Commander Pro here:

https://eucdeals.com

But obviously that Begode Extreme would be a powerhouse on the trails, the hills, and even in the snow year round:

But just a reminder that the heavier the wheel, the smaller the performance upgrades will be even with higher specs and higher price.

Mostly just think about what kind of riding you want to do, and if it's a variety of riding styles you want to do, look for the most versatile wheel that can do it all decently well, which might just be a Master with a knobby tire.

OR focus just on this summer riding season and get a wheel with a street tire that you can shred the pavement with, and worry about trails/winter wheel some other time.

If you get a wheel with easy tire change, you could change your tire every 6 months from street to summer.

https://eucdeals.com

And that T4 Pro for 1700 bucks (no tax btw) also looks like a sweet deal. Not sure what tire is on it so you might want to ask them.

An 18-20 inch wheel will be more stable at the higher speeds you seem to want to experiment with, so the T4 Pro or the Begode Extreme for $1000 more might not be the best wheels for that if high speed is your primary focus.

But those smaller 16-17" wheels are more nimble and fun to ride in downtown Denver or on the trails.

Every upgrade in size comes with a downside, like lower playfulness and acceleration/braking from a stop/low speed.