EUC options in 2024 (sub 25kg but 38mph+)

Hi guys,

I'm binge watching EUC videos again having started to experience battery degradation in my Tesla V1.5 (doesn't have the BT speakers but is not the OG spec). I feel like I'm looking to get more safely into 29mph ish to help in traffic and just because I feel I am okay with that on smoother roads. The Tesla tops out at 31mph which accounting for the 6,000 km I've apparently put on it I wouldn't want to risk being in that range.

The EUC world seems to be chasing 'bigger' faster speed, longer range. This is counter to my requirements and thus means there doesn't seem to many options that a smaller person can lift with one arm (for going up/down stairs etc).

I feel like the Inmotion V12 HS is probably the best option out there. Although reading through the forums, I see people still keep coming back to the the Tesla for city riding. Perhaps I'm tricking myself so I can get a shiny new toy.

Any other wheels I could/should be looking at? I think I want to stay in the 16inch space, I spent a long time researching to not go lower (UK streets are generally pot-holed), but not against 18inch. Seems everything these days are huge and heavy. Who is carrying a Sherman up and down stairs?!

If you plan to climb stairs almost daily with a V12 which weighs around 30 kg with accessories, on a single arm, you also plan on the weight of the helmet, the backpack with charger, extension cord, flashlight, seat, pads, padlock anti-theft. This trains the biceps. There are several topics on the forum. For a building without an elevator, lighter wheels are suitable. Either one heavy wheel and one light, and a room on the ground floor, or a friendly neighbor without a floor. :)

Edited by varamontelo

Yeah Tesla speck vs size can't be beaten till now..

I have been wanting a new wheel for past year or so.. Market simply has nothing to offer. Aside of Begode A2, we have nothing NEW in sub 20-25kg weight. As i don't want anything heavier than 20kg for my NEW wheel. I'm also waiting for manufacturers to start making NEW lighter weight models again. Yeah the "trend" nowadays is bigger/faster/heavier - the better. But that is mostly for people who actually want endless range and speed. Most commuters that daily travel max 10km to work and back. We don't need the speed or range. I would happily pay 2000$ for small, light amazing wheel.

6 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

If you plan to climb stairs almost daily with a V12 which weighs around 30 kg with accessories, on a single arm, you also plan on the weight of the helmet, the backpack with charger, extension cord, flashlight, seat, pads, padlock anti-theft. This trains the biceps. There are several topics on the forum. For a building without an elevator, lighter wheels are suitable. Either one heavy and one light, and a room on the ground floor, or a friendly neighbor without a floor. :)

Most people only need to worry about wheel it self, not the accessories.. My wheel being 26.5kg and traveling 3rd floor everyday - it's doable, but i would enjoy something lighter, that's for sure. And that's coming from 280lbs big boy.. Not skinny weakling. :D 

And whos carrying a charger around.. Pff.. And extension cord wtf?? As for backpack - i think it's on the back? As for seat, pads, anti-theft lock what are those? Flashlight why would anyone need that? 

Edited by Funky

I'm not making fun of your answers so be pleasant. I use a wheel to travel so my equipment is useful day and night in all weather conditions. I ride in all seasons. We have been on this forum for a long time and are both old so let's stay pleasant so you will avoid too strong punctuation and character. This will also please members who simply ask for opinions on different wheel weights and comforts, we know that you always prefer low weight wheels, we made a thesis about it on this forum so admit that there is some world here living other than on light wheels. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

If you plan to climb stairs almost daily with a V12 which weighs around 30 kg with accessories, on a single arm, you also plan on the weight of the helmet, the backpack with charger, extension cord, flashlight, seat, pads, padlock anti-theft. This trains the biceps. There are several topics on the forum. For a building without an elevator, lighter wheels are suitable. Either one heavy wheel and one light, and a room on the ground floor, or a friendly neighbor without a floor. :)

I saw after it is 30Kg. I think it cannot be considered 'manageable' - think about your suitcase at the airport; over 28KG and they sticky a 'heavy' label on it.

For me the extras you mention aren't an issue. City commuter, so realistically 10-20miles max in a day, so that would be covered by the range (I used to be able to do four trips - 10miles each on my Tesla before charging). 

Whilst @Funky is looking for sub 20KG, I don't mind being in/around 20-25kg since I'm kind of used to it. That said, design ergonomics could possibly help with making a wheel feel more manageable.

Perfect wheel for me would be 16inch, 50mile range, 45mph top speed (for head room purposes) and some element of light suspension to help with those pot holes I don't see. In a nice Inmotion V12 like package (I find the current trends a bit OTT aesthetically) at 23KG! Seems like such a wheel doesn't exist and won't exist as the trend continues for faster and heavier.

@rinzler Begode Falcon - 25kg wheel that's going to be released soon, should be on you watch list then.

I also would love it, if not for it's horrible carry/trolley handle.

54 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

I'm not making fun of your answers so be pleasant. I use a wheel to travel so my equipment is useful day and night in all weather conditions. I ride in all seasons. We have been on this forum for a long time and are both old so let's stay pleasant so you will avoid too strong punctuation and character. This will also please members who simply ask for opinions on different wheel weights and comforts, we know that you always prefer low weight wheels, we made a thesis about it on this forum so admit that there is some world here living other than on light wheels. :rolleyes:

I also ride all year round every day and don't carry any of that. :) (Only backpack with rain jacket and shower cap for my wheel.) At morning it's pitch black.. Oh and i'm not old. :D Yup i like my wheels light and everyone knows that on this forum.. Heavy wheels are being made - so it's not wort talking about - simply because there are dozen options to choose from. Where light and portable options have been forgotten. And as author mention he wants sub 25kg wheel (which aren't been made anymore.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was looking at something very similar for my first EUC.
It boiled down to Inmotion V10F and Begode A2. Both of then are between 850-899 Euro on Aliexpress.

Initially I was going to go for V10F because it has amazing Battery size for the money, but then I understood it was an aging model with very weak head light and even weaker rear light:o

The Begode A2 persuaded me with its larger headlight. I see this as a vital safety feature, and it looks like something which Inmotion isn't prioritising. And I was willing to sacrifice the +210 watt-hour for it. I guess as far as improvements goes, we might have to look at things like head light and rear light to see any real jumps between then and now.

I personally don't care for lights.. As i'm riding on sidewalks. I would prefer bigger wheel well for better and more options of tires. Also somewhat waterproof is a must! And awesome carry/trolley handle is a must on a smaller, portable units.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

And whos carrying a charger around.. Pff.. And extension cord wtf?? As for backpack - i think it's on the back? As for seat, pads, anti-theft lock what are those? Flashlight why would anyone need that? 

... RULES

Be good to one another...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

... RULES

Be good to one another...

Sorry if it sounded like an a attack. In my mind it was intended more like a fun.. Because in my eyes i would never - ever carry a charger, extension cord, flashlight around. Heck even helmet on my daily commutes.

And again most of those things i would imagine would be in backpack anyways. Meaning you don't carry that weight onehandedly.

27 minutes ago, Tom384 said:

I did 64km/h on MSX several times and it is just under 24kg. 

I recall at the time I bought the Tesla (2019) that the MSX was 'the one'. My only problem going down that route is that I feel like if I'm going to spend £2k ish then I'd want something that is more modern.  I think of this as tech so it seems counter-intuitive to go back to the same era as what I have now. 

In some ways it's nice to see that older wheels still hold their own. But it would be nice to get a few mod-cons (lift switch would be nice!)

I might do the 2.5inch tyre upgrade to give a different feel. 

I've never ridden another wheel so all I know is the Tesla.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

You can try vescing some older EUC to add field weakening and change cells ... if you serious.

I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

54 minutes ago, rinzler said:

I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

There is already growing VESC community in onewheel boards. It is opensource controller. Example : https://tronicsystems.com/products/tronic-250r-bare-board-no-enclosure

This should be able to drive s18/v11/tesla/rs up to crazy speeds if you are willing to put effort there. Setting up vesc is not easy.

I have a Tesla v1 too and I'd much rather ride that fast on my (same gen) Msx84. It's way more stable with the 18x3in tire and up to 60km/h speed limit (i never go close to that fast though - safety margin). The only thing that could be better is lower pedals but I've learned to live with them.

I'd recommend perhaps an RS, with the smaller bearings. 26kg. Or Msp perhaps. I've heard the RS has lower pedald than the Msx and Msp.

The advantage with the Msx is that it's 23kg and uses Panasonic cells. They're fantastic cells. Probably a lot better than the cells in the Msp or RS. 

All these wheels are very cheap. Unfortunately they require power pads unlike the Tesla. It's a hassle but the stability on the road almost makes up for it.

Put a 2.5in tire on that Tesla. It's way better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I have a Tesla v1 too and I'd much rather ride that fast on my (same gen) Msx84. It's way more stable with the 18x3in tire and up to 60km/h speed limit (i never go close to that fast though - safety margin). The only thing that could be better is lower pedals but I've learned to live with them.

I'd recommend perhaps an RS, with the smaller bearings. 26kg. Or Msp perhaps. I've heard the RS has lower pedald than the Msx and Msp.

The advantage with the Msx is that it's 23kg and uses Panasonic cells. They're fantastic cells. Probably a lot better than the cells in the Msp or RS. 

All these wheels are very cheap. Unfortunately they require power pads unlike the Tesla. It's a hassle but the stability on the road almost makes up for it.

Put a 2.5in tire on that Tesla. It's way better.

Just to clarify, you're saying you prefer to ride your MSX over the Tesla (at fast speeds).

I don't use power pads but tempted to add a custom knob at the front of the foot to help jump up curbs (I currently dismount and lift the wheel on to it). I find the power pads to be pretty unsightly, the same as the current Begode T4 etc aesthetic. I often wonder how we went from the z10 styling to where we are today, but I digress! It's actually why I was also looking at the inmotion v12. Sleek.

It feels like there isn't anything in the current gem based on today's demands that meets my needs. I am looking at the cst-1488 2.5inch tyre upgrade now also. Are you saying you found the ride to be better with this change? Am I right in saying it fits with no mods?

Maybe I should have just got an msx back in 2019!

2 hours ago, rinzler said:

Just to clarify, you're saying you prefer to ride your MSX over the Tesla (at fast speeds).

I don't use power pads but tempted to add a custom knob at the front of the foot to help jump up curbs (I currently dismount and lift the wheel on to it). I find the power pads to be pretty unsightly, the same as the current Begode T4 etc aesthetic. I often wonder how we went from the z10 styling to where we are today, but I digress! It's actually why I was also looking at the inmotion v12. Sleek.

It feels like there isn't anything in the current gem based on today's demands that meets my needs. I am looking at the cst-1488 2.5inch tyre upgrade now also. Are you saying you found the ride to be better with this change? Am I right in saying it fits with no mods?

Maybe I should have just got an msx back in 2019!

No, in my opinion, an msx won't replace a tesla unless you're stubborn. It doesn't handle nearly as well, and isn't as nimble and effortless. BUT for long distance cruising it's extremely relaxing and safer at speeds above 30km/h. I'm not talking specifically about the MSX but about 16x2in vs 18x3in wheels in general. 

So if you need to go faster or farther the 18x3 is your choice. If you need something that's easy to ride, allround wheel, use the 16x wheel.

Some people use their 16x3 wheels everywhere for everything. It's hard to find a lightweight one that's also long range. Because Gotways are cheap I'd personally rather go with Tesla + MSX but that's me. It's good to have a backup wheel for when you get a puncture or something.

Yeah the C1488 16x2.5 fits right in there but when it's brand new it rubs for a few km. Just don't go over 25-30km/h for like 100km, and really take your time when mounting the tire and you're good. The following 100-5000km are wonderful. Then it's usually time for a tire/tube swap. I'm riding a bald 16x2.5 because I'm lazy. I just take it easy and it's ok. 

I have all the Goyway wheels of that generation (84v). Mten3, MCM5, Tesla v1, Msx84. I use all four. They're fantastic machines with great batteries that last a long time and don't go bad unless you crash basically. Panasonic for the win! If I had to pick two of the wheels to keep it would be the Msx84 and the Mcm5. As much as I love the Tesla (I've ridden 15000km on it) and the Mten3, I can cover 99.99% of my needs with the MCM5 and MSX84.

• Like 1

The reason why I like pre hollow motor Gotways is because almost all of them use good safe cells, they're very powerful for their generation, and they're lightweight. Cheap too. No bearing maintenance. Hall sensor problems are almost unheard of. Motor contamination too.

Once you've put in like 5000km on one you can feel pretty confident it's not going to cutout on you.

I did have one failure though. A damn mosfet wasn't bolted down onto the heatsink so it overheated. I got the board fixed, bolted everything down with loctite and now that same wheel has done 14000km with all the original hardware.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 3

But, I never drop or jump any of my wheels. The shells can crack from vibration alone. I don't need broken axles and a thosand cracks to fix. Safety first. But then again I've been riding for like 6 years and 50.000km so all those playful years are behind me. Now I need reliable workhorses. Not toys.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rinzler said:

Hi guys,

. ...I feel like I'm looking to get more safely into 29mph ish to help in traffic and just because I feel I am okay with that on smoother roads. The Tesla tops out at 31mph which accounting for the 6,000 km I've apparently put on it I wouldn't want to risk being in that range......

Perhaps you should go custom. Delight Device modified a Tesla by adding some extra cells in series and a 100V controler. I think he could get 70kmh with not much of a weight increase.

24 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Perhaps you should go custom. Delight Device modified a Tesla by adding some extra cells in series and a 100V controler. I think he could get 70kmh with not much of a weight increase.

I didn't know this was  a thing! With all the scaremongering on battery fires, I'm not sure I'd want to tinker! Although I'm going to look into it out of curiosity!

As @alcatraz mentioned, it's nice to have the confidence post 5,000km that the wheel is not a dud.  That said, the plastic construction hasn't held up as well, with a few of my screw points having broken. Unfortunately EUC spares are astronomically priced. So I keep running the slightly battered wheel as it is.

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

No, in my opinion, an msx won't replace a tesla unless you're stubborn. It doesn't handle nearly as well, and isn't as nimble and effortless. BUT for long distance cruising it's extremely relaxing and safer at speeds above 30km/h. I'm not talking specifically about the MSX but about 16x2in vs 18x3in wheels in general. 

So if you need to go faster or farther the 18x3 is your choice. If you need something that's easy to ride, allround wheel, use the 16x wheel.

Yeah the C1488 16x2.5 fits right in there but when it's brand new it rubs for a few km. Just don't go over 25-30km/h for like 100km, and really take your time when mounting the tire and you're good. The following 100-5000km are wonderful. Then it's usually time for a tire/tube swap. I'm riding a bald 16x2.5 because I'm lazy. I just take it easy and it's ok. 

Thanks for all the detailed responses. Really useful.

I originally went with the Tesla as the snowboard equivalent of a 'one board quivver'. It has lived up to that one and done title. Battery degradation (30miles range these days vs OG 40miles) is the only thing I worry about as I want to feel comfortable around 28mph. I guess I can but I just need to get EUC world to recognise changing the alarm beeps.

Hopefully a new tire (I've done 6,000km on my original tyre) will also provide some newness and confidence.