EUC options in 2024 (sub 25kg but 38mph+)

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Yeah the C1488 16x2.5 fits right in there but when it's brand new it rubs for a few km. 

Quick one @alcatraz, do you run a 16x2.125 inner tube or 16x3.0. I cannot find a 16x2.5. The former be at the limit in a 2.5 tyre and the latter might bunch up. Bothe scenarios don't sound good!

1 hour ago, rinzler said:

I didn't know this was  a thing! With all the scaremongering on battery fires, I'm not sure I'd want to tinker! Although I'm going to look into it out of curiosity!

Had another look at the Delight Device vids I first saw 3&2 years ago.  If you need a new battery pack perhaps you can get a 100V and the appropriate controler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidB said:

Had another look at the Delight Device vids I first saw 3&2 years ago.  If you need a new battery pack perhaps you can get a 100V and the appropriate controler.

This looks crazy. I'm surprised Gotway didn't run with this idea and effectively breathe new life into older wheels.

I am disappointed they didn't. Instead they went hollow bore because people complained about breaking axles but they were only breaking axles because the axles had so much metal shaved off the top and bottom where the peddle hangers attached. All they needed to do was rotate the axles 90 degrees! So their T3 "improvement" had a lot heavier and a lot more expensive bearings that were harder to seal, you had to now remove the battery to change the tire (which still wasn't 2.5) and it was about 3kg heavier. 

Given they also changed/modified the shell a little they could have just beefed up the plastic where the cracks developed over time.. but I guess they did what they thought would sell.

Still, I think the MCM5/ Tesla2/Rockwheel GT16 could provide the templates for a modern, clean sub 20 kg commuter wheel.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rinzler said:

Quick one @alcatraz, do you run a 16x2.125 inner tube or 16x3.0. I cannot find a 16x2.5. The former be at the limit in a 2.5 tyre and the latter might bunch up. Bothe scenarios don't sound good!

Rim width can be quite different and the tubes need to account for all of them. The tesla is quite narrow so I'd try a 2.125 tube if I had only that and 3.0.

I'd use a cst 16x2.5 inner tube because they last the longest. However the valve needs to point in the right direction. You can't just use any 90deg valve tube, unfortunately. It's almost worth ordering two tubes to have a greater chance of using one of them. It's super annoying when the valve sticks out and hits the shell. Ideally it needs to point in the tube direction, not out to the side. Even 45deg can cause issues. So between 0-45deg looking from the axle, but 45-90deg bend (meaning not straight valve).

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rinzler said:

Hopefully a new tire (I've done 6,000km on my original tyre) will also provide some newness and confidence.

The C1488 2.5in upgrade is going to make you want to keep the Tesla and keep riding it. It's a good upgrade for high speed riding.

Try that first. And don't despair when you're first mounting it. I didn't modify my Tesla at all. You jusy have to take care and use all the tricks.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1