InMotion V14 riders : Share Your Tips, Tricks, Modifications, Upgrades, Hacks, Setups & Feature Requests

Kmil

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jayzao said:

Let's talk about range and the Inmotion V14 Adventure.

I am 215, a very new rider with only 60 miles on my new wheel. Yesterday, I did some battery testing.
Starting at a full charge, I rode around Denver on bike paths and some dirt paths.
Here's where I'm a bit concerned. After an hour and 13.3 miles, I returned home with only 55% battery remaining.
Is this normal for the Inmotion V14 Adventure, or should I be worried about the battery performance?

(The stated range is 70 miles)

Here is my math:

• Battery used: 100% - 55% = 45%
  • Miles per percentage: 13.3 miles / 45% = 0.2956 miles/percentage
  • Total potential miles: 0.2956 miles/percentage * 100% = 29.56 miles

How fast were you doing those 13 miles, and how much of it was uphill or over 'difficult' terrain ?

I know on my wheel (not an IM) that if I cane it really fast everywhere I get about half the stated range.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Any wheel "real" range is half of the marketed one.. Everyone knows that.

You aren't small Chinese/Japanese man riding in factory - on smooth ground without any wind nor braking/acceleration constantly..

My wheel is marketed as having 120km range. But i got only about 65km riding around 70% speed on completely smooth level ground.

More or less 1% = 1km and around 50% battery it starts to be 2% per 1km.

Most of battery is spent in braking/accelerating all the time. If you want range - you need to ride about 50% of wheel speed and going nonstop at one speed.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

How fast were you doing those 13 miles, and how much of it was uphill or over 'difficult' terrain ?

I know on my wheel (not an IM) that if I cane it really fast everywhere I get about half the stated range.

According to the app, my top speed was 24.3, and I noticed this speed significantly affected the scooter's range.
The terrain was the city with a few dirt hills and a parking garage. 
Our hyper-scooters seem to get about 50% of their stated range, so perhaps you are correct, and this is simply the range.
As I continue to hone my scooter skills, I'm (pensively) excited to see how this will impact the battery life and overall performance.
I'll test again today and stay on the roads around the city and see if the 60 minute test uses greater than 50% of the battery life.
Thanks!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Funky said:

Any wheel "real" range is half of the marketed one.. Everyone knows that.

You aren't small Chinese/Japanese man riding in factory - on smooth ground without any wind nor braking/acceleration constantly..

My wheel is marketed as having 120km range. But i got only about 65km riding around 70% speed on completely smooth level ground.

More or less 1% = 1km and around 50% battery it starts to be 2% per 1km.

Most of battery is spent in braking/accelerating all the time. If you want range - you need to ride about 50% of wheel speed and going nonstop at one speed.

Good point. I neglected to think about starts and stops with my 215lb body.
I'd bet I eat up a lot of battery braking.
Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jayzao said:

Good point. I neglected to think about starts and stops with my 215lb body.
I'd bet I eat up a lot of battery braking.
Thanks!

You meant accelerating.. :) I'm 285lbs btw. :D 

At braking you are charging the wheel.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jayzao said:

I am 215, a very new rider with only 60 miles on my new wheel. Yesterday, I did some battery testing.
Starting at a full charge, I rode around Denver on bike paths and some dirt paths.
Here's where I'm a bit concerned. After an hour and 13.3 miles, I returned home with only 55% battery remaining.
Is this normal for the Inmotion V14 Adventure, or should I be worried about the battery performance?

Here is my math:

V14-battery-05-20-2024.png

I've installed BMS update today, tomorrow will try and comment if issue was solvedScreenshot-2024-05-21-20-54-51-305-com-i

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Based on the feedback in this thread, I opted to add controls to a range test.
Below are the starting and ending voltages, a photo of the terrain, and the console output.
Somehow it ended up with a less promising result.
The theoretical overall range of the vehicle on a 100% charge is approximately 24.69 miles.
(note the timestamps) 
image.thumb.png.00ec8f25521ad77a69edb2e44720292f.png

The test data can be used to determine the vehicle's theoretical overall range on a 100% charge.
We started with a 100% charge, traveled 15.8 miles, and ended with 36% battery remaining.
This means we used 64% of the battery to travel 15.8 miles.

Let's calculate the total range using the following steps:

1. Calculate the battery usage per mile:

• Battery used: 100%−36%=64%100%36%=64%
    • Miles traveled: 15.8 miles
    • Battery usage per mile: 64%15.8 miles≈4.05% per mile15.8 miles64%4.05% per mile
  2. Calculate the theoretical total range:

• Since 100% battery would be used, we use the per-mile usage to determine the total range.
    • Total range: 100%4.05% per mile≈24.69 miles4.05% per mile100%24.69 miles

So, the theoretical overall range of the vehicle on a 100% charge is approximately 24.69 miles.
Please let me know if you believe I am calculating this incorrectly.

One point of interest:
The wheel is a 134.4V wheel w, which means at around 134V, it's fully charged, and at around 100V, it will be fully discharged. 

134V-100V = 34V of usable range. 
If we were at 130V post-ride, we'd use 4V out of 34V usable, which is 12% battery.
Leaving you at around 88% range. Is there a discrepancy between the voltage and the readout on the display?

• Fully charged voltage: 134V
  • Fully discharged voltage: 100V
  • Usable voltage range: 34V (134V - 100V)
  • If the remaining voltage is 126V, we can determine how much of the usable range has been consumed and how much remains.
  1. Calculate the voltage drop:

• Voltage drop = 134V - 126V = 8V
  2. Calculate the percentage of battery used:

• Percentage used = 8V34V×100%≈23.53%34V8V×100%23.53%
  3. Calculate the remaining battery percentage:

• Remaining battery percentage = 100% - 23.53% = 76.47%

So, if the remaining voltage is 126V, the battery is approximately 76.47% charged.
But the readout in the display is 36%

The answer is that my Inmotion Adventure V14 gets 25 miles on flat ground per full charge. Bummer. 
I guess 25 miles of trail is good enough, but I imagine at this rate, the actual distance would be 15 miles before the battery is exhausted.
According to this calculation, the rider that weighs 285 would get about 10 miles of range. @Funky

Edited by Jayzao

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jayzao said:

Based on the feedback in this thread, I opted to add controls to a range test.
Below are the starting and ending voltages, a photo of the terrain, and the console output.
Somehow it ended up with a less promising result.
The theoretical overall range of the vehicle on a 100% charge is approximately 24.69 miles.
(note the timestamps) 
image.thumb.png.00ec8f25521ad77a69edb2e44720292f.png

The test data can be used to determine the vehicle's theoretical overall range on a 100% charge.
We started with a 100% charge, traveled 15.8 miles, and ended with 36% battery remaining.
This means we used 64% of the battery to travel 15.8 miles.

Let's calculate the total range using the following steps:

1. Calculate the battery usage per mile:

• Battery used: 100%−36%=64%100%36%=64%
    • Miles traveled: 15.8 miles
    • Battery usage per mile: 64%15.8 miles≈4.05% per mile15.8 miles64%4.05% per mile
  2. Calculate the theoretical total range:

• Since 100% battery would be used, we use the per-mile usage to determine the total range.
    • Total range: 100%4.05% per mile≈24.69 miles4.05% per mile100%24.69 miles

So, the theoretical overall range of the vehicle on a 100% charge is approximately 24.69 miles.
Please let me know if you believe I am calculating this incorrectly.

One point of interest:
The wheel is a 134.4V wheel w, which means at around 134V, it's fully charged, and at around 100V, it will be fully discharged. 

134V-100V = 34V of usable range. 
If we were at 130V post-ride, we'd use 4V out of 34V usable, which is 12% battery.
Leaving you at around 88% range. Is there a discrepancy between the voltage and the readout on the display?

• Fully charged voltage: 134V
  • Fully discharged voltage: 100V
  • Usable voltage range: 34V (134V - 100V)
  • If the remaining voltage is 126V, we can determine how much of the usable range has been consumed and how much remains.
  1. Calculate the voltage drop:

• Voltage drop = 134V - 126V = 8V
  2. Calculate the percentage of battery used:

• Percentage used = 8V34V×100%≈23.53%34V8V×100%23.53%
  3. Calculate the remaining battery percentage:

• Remaining battery percentage = 100% - 23.53% = 76.47%

So, if the remaining voltage is 126V, the battery is approximately 76.47% charged.
But the readout in the display is 36%

The answer is that my Inmotion Adventure V14 gets 25 miles on flat ground per full charge. Bummer. 
I guess 25 miles of trail is good enough, but I imagine at this rate, the actual distance would be 15 miles before the battery is exhausted.
According to this calculation, the rider that weighs 285 would get about 10 miles of range. @Funky

Good enough for me. :D As i need daily 2 miles. Will last true whole week. :) My 18xl somehow last 3 week till i need to charge it - even then i still got 30-35% battery left. So at the end i settled charging it every second weekend, when battery is around 50%. 

Dam V14 sucks ass... Can't even do half of it's marketed range.. (Which should be the real range.)

Edited by Funky

Posted (edited)

Also you can't really calculate the real range.. As battery gets lower, the wheel will drain it faster.

As i said in my previous post: Battery being over 50%, i can get 1km per 1%. Under 50% battery it starts to be 1km per ~2-3%. And at 20% it could be even worse 1km per 3% or so.. Also you start to get speed limited at some point.

You have to do 100-0% real world test.. Like i once did - took me 2 hours to ride from full to empty and i got 65km. (Going by my speeds - that i often travel..) Riding home it was already alarming to slow down & recharge by voice prompts.

I recommend charging you wheel fully and going for a ride till you get alarms.. Then you know it's getting empty. Ride till you can't anymore - then see the range.. Maybe the 36% readout is wrong.. Try riding till the wheel dies. < That's how you test the real range. :D  (At low battery start simply riding around your neighborhood till it dies.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Funky said:

Also you can't really calculate the real range.. As battery gets lower, the wheel will drain it faster.

As i said in my previous post: Battery being over 50%, i can get 1km per 1%. Under 50% battery it starts to be 1km per ~2-3%. And at 20% it could be even worse 1km per 3% or so.. Also you start to get speed limited at some point.

You have to do 100-0% real world test.. Like i once did - took me 2 hours to ride from full to empty and i got 65km. (Going by my speeds - that i often travel..) Riding home it was already alarming to slow down & recharge by voice prompts.

I recommend charging you wheel fully and going for a ride till you get alarms.. Then you know it's getting empty. Ride till you can't anymore - then see the range.. Maybe the 36% readout is wrong.. Try riding till the wheel dies. < That's how you test the real range. :D  (At low battery start simply riding around your neighborhood till it dies.)

It makes sense; that's why I regarded it as theoretical.
I suspect the voltage and console are mismatched somehow.
I will get the EUC World app and use their telemetry, which is more robust.

Do you know when the V14 starts to be limited based on battery?
I have yet to push it that far.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Good enough for me. :D As i need daily 2 miles. Will last true whole week. :) My 18xl somehow last 3 week till i need to charge it - even then i still got 30-35% battery left. So at the end i settled charging it every second weekend, when battery is around 50%. 

Dam V14 sucks ass... Can't even do half of it's marketed range.. (Which should be the real range.)

I figure for trail riding versus commuting, a 20-mile range would get you where you wanted to go.
20 miles of trails would be exhausting, for me at least.

our own @Marty Backe has a range test video, seems to have performed better than your results. They seem low to me but i can't speak to the range of the wheel, really haven't ridden it much since i got it because it's going into my busy season. I think it's not really a great street cruiser and geared more towards massive torque for some heavy duty off road action. Doesn't have a big battery either so maybe 20 miles of some hard core off road should be expected.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jayzao said:

Do you know when the V14 starts to be limited based on battery?
I have yet to push it that far.

No idea.. If you aren't riding close to it's max speed - you may not even notice that it has started to limit you.. My wheel started to limit my around 20% battery and still i had 40kph available to me from it's original 50kph speed.

6 hours ago, Jayzao said:

I figure for trail riding versus commuting, a 20-mile range would get you where you wanted to go.
20 miles of trails would be exhausting, for me at least.

Yup.:)

On 5/21/2024 at 1:41 PM, Jayzao said:

Here is my math:

V14-battery-05-20-2024.png

I weigh 290lbs when geared up. I went riding yesterday on a greenway for about 5miles or so and I was clocking 15-24mph. My battery went from 100% to about 97%. Now what really sticks out to me is that you live in Denver and youre riding dirt paths. Going uphill or on uneven terrain sucks the battery out like no other. Remember, this thing was made by chinese who probably weigh 160lbs with gear on. Another thing to consider is wind resistance. This can really drain the battery as the wheel is fighting you as it goes. Finally, was the light on as that can drain it. Yes, inmotion claims 70 miles, but thats 70 miles with a very light rider in optimal conditions. Id reach out to Inmotion if youre concerned. That is a significant chunk of charge for an hour ride. It is possible youve got something pulling charge that shouldnt. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Funky said:

Man ive noticed you just absolutely trashing the V14 on multiple threads. Its fine to have an opinion, but do you even own one? So far the wheel has been crazy impressive for me. I mean it hauls me at 290lbs consistantly at 25-30mph. I can ride all week on a single charge, and im going up steep banks like its nothing. Sure its not a lynx, but its also over a grand cheaper. 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Christian90s said:

Man ive noticed you just absolutely trashing the V14 on multiple threads. Its fine to have an opinion, but do you even own one? So far the wheel has been crazy impressive for me. I mean it hauls me at 290lbs consistantly at 25-30mph. I can ride all week on a single charge, and im going up steep banks like its nothing. Sure its not a lynx, but its also over a grand cheaper. 

Multiple? Are you sure about that? Maybe twice i have said something bad about it.

Yeah and i weigh 285lbs but naked and my "old/weak" wheel can go 25mph no problems.. (It's 31mph wheel, 2200W motor and 1554W battery..) And i can ride 3 weeks with one charge. So yes V14 sucks' for it's weight to power performance.. 

I'm calling things how they are. Sure it looks sweet, has suspension.. But if it eats the battery like fat man eats sundae on hot summer day.. No thanks, something is wrong.

Also if i'm not wrong it's your first wheel right? Any first wheel will be "impressive". Even Mten4. EUC isn't a hobby for me.. It's my daily transport. So i don't care if it has suspension or how it looks really. I'm all for it's performance in real world. And so far V14 underdeliver. 1k cheaper.. Who care about money. You gonna buy the wheel and keep it for longer time. Or are you one of those who change their wheel on monthly/yearly bases? :D I personally don't care if my next wheel will cost 2000$ or 3000$. I want a good wheel, not a crap. (To me it's crap.. To else it's their perfect wheel.) Only thing V14 has right in my eyes - quick disconnect wires..

Edited by Funky

Please don't misconstrue my opinions on the V14 OR make a buying decision based on my experience.
My experience with battery management might be unique to my unit and not a general reflection of the product. 
First, YES, this is my first wheel, and overall, it's awesome: the ride, the ease of use, and even the stock pads. However, my particular unit has issues.
After a few exchanges with the reseller, they opted to have me send it to them for evaluation, as there have been numerous power-related gremlins. 
Just to let you know, I am not smack-talking the V14. It was unfortunate that I got one with a controller or BMS issue. Aside from phantom power drains and unusually high power and battery usage, the vehicle is badass and incredibly fun off-road and on-road. 
If I were able to get the range that @Marty Backe was able to get in his range test, my experience would be perfect. 

@Funky, I am not certain it is safe to ride your EUC naked... (:
But each to his own. Get on with your bad self! 

In the interim, I'll learn how to ride my Begode Master V4. ;)
I could also complain about Begode NOT including any discernable manual, the underrated shock pump, or the bogus adhesive on the pads.

For example, it took me a few YouTube videos to figure out how to power on the Begode and have it auto-balance. 
Spoiler: You need to press both buttons and hold one while pressing the power five times. 

My point is this; these devices, as well as the vendors, resellers, and consumers, are still "somewhat" new to the market. 
There are going to be some areas for improvement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Who care about money

I care about the money. Most people care about the money. And man its fine if you dont like the wheel, but it seems like youre on a mission to disuade anyone who says positive things about it. I enjoy the heck out of it, so im cool with it ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:16 PM, Kato_pen92 said:

I've installed BMS update today, tomorrow will try and comment if issue was solvedScreenshot-2024-05-21-20-54-51-305-com-i

Did the BMS update change anything for you?
Oddly enough, the update fixed one thing while introducing a couple of new power-related oddities. (for me)
Be sure to be charged up as the update runs for a few minutes and does consume battery.
I imagine if the device lost power during the firmware update it may be bricked. 
I hope your experience is smooth and without issues.
Ride on!

1 hour ago, Christian90s said:

youre on a mission to disuade anyone who says positive things about it

You'll find there are a ton of people with IDS (Inmotion derangement syndrome). There are a lot of people who ask for all types of things to be introduced to their wheel, smart BMS, waterproofing, progressive tilt back, over engineered electronics but when Inmotion leads the pack in all of these they get all buthurt for some reason and attempt to trash it any way they can.  @Funky is a bit of an outlier though, he doesn't really have much nice to say about any wheel really. If it doesn't go 40 mph, have a 900wh battery,can be lifted with 1 hand and weigh under 40lbs he thinks it's shit. So i wouldn't take what he says to heart. The v14 is another trend setter with it's modular design, quick tire change capability, massive torque and independently tested waterproof rating. That pisses a ton of people off that own other brands that still cant even get 1  of these things right so get used to it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jayzao said:

Did the BMS update change anything for you?
Oddly enough, the update fixed one thing while introducing a couple of new power-related oddities. (for me)
Be sure to be charged up as the update runs for a few minutes and does consume battery.
I imagine if the device lost power during the firmware update it may be bricked. 
I hope your experience is smooth and without issues.
Ride on!

Bms update was successful and corrected mileage/percentage. Before update wheel makes about 12 milles reaching 22% usage. 

Before update 

IMG-20240522-WA0013.jpg

After update 

IMG-20240522-WA0004.jpg

Battery usage improve and  need to replace alert gone.

In conclusion update works

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jayzao said:

@Funky, I am not certain it is safe to ride your EUC naked... (:
But each to his own. Get on with your bad self! 

I'm not naked, i got clothes on. :D Jeans and T-shirt in this hot summer. And of course baseball cap.

15 hours ago, Christian90s said:

I care about the money. Most people care about the money. And man its fine if you dont like the wheel, but it seems like youre on a mission to disuade anyone who says positive things about it. I enjoy the heck out of it, so im cool with it ;)

Sure i care also for money. But if i buy new wheel every 3rd/5th year - i can spend little bit extra and get best thing possible.. Same as buying new computer - get best you can. As you won't be buying new one anytime soon.

Also if everyone's says only "good things.." and nothing bad about wheel like calling out shortcomings.. (Literally :D) I'm gonna be the devil's advocate, because someone needs to do that and talk about bad things.

I'm just jealous.. :) Because i want new wheel also. And i have no options whatso ever from which to buy. (I want 50lbs or under wheel. And nothing from 2018 year models.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

You'll find there are a ton of people with IDS (Inmotion derangement syndrome). There are a lot of people who ask for all types of things to be introduced to their wheel, smart BMS, waterproofing, progressive tilt back, over engineered electronics but when Inmotion leads the pack in all of these they get all buthurt for some reason and attempt to trash it any way they can.  @Funky is a bit of an outlier though, he doesn't really have much nice to say about any wheel really. If it doesn't go 40 mph, have a 900wh battery,can be lifted with 1 hand and weigh under 40lbs he thinks it's shit. So i wouldn't take what he says to heart. The v14 is another trend setter with it's modular design, quick tire change capability, massive torque and independently tested waterproof rating. That pisses a ton of people off that own other brands that still cant even get 1  of these things right so get used to it.

40Kph. Not Mph. I would love Mph.. But i know it's not passible. Where Kph is possible.

V13 had it's motherboard exposed to elements/water.. Great wheel? V12 had "speed up" bugs.. Where it would toss off it's rider - great? V11 is a nightmare to work with - great.. Oh and every single one wheel is way to heavy. Aside of V8/10.

Yup i hate all the wheels (All Manufacturers.) - read my description. Because they are useless to me and if i see something bad - i'm gonna call it out.

I simply know we can get better things. From manufacturers that are making half assed products. :) Also i'm talking about my own experiences.. For you and others V14 is just perfect and best wheel in world. For me it's not.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Funky said:

I simply know we can get better things

Heres a point I do agree on. As much as I enjoy the V14, I can tell there were some things that could easily be improved upon, one being software. My $3k purchase shouldnt be your testing ground. My V14 runs fine, but first batch buyers should get what they paid for, not hopes and dreams. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 7:52 PM, Christian90s said:

Heres a point I do agree on. As much as I enjoy the V14, I can tell there were some things that could easily be improved upon, one being software. My $3k purchase shouldnt be your testing ground. My V14 runs fine, but first batch buyers should get what they paid for, not hopes and dreams. 

Then you would think there has to be a wheel that would have no issues from first batch. And you can simply get that then, right?

But the reality is that things already has gotten better. It could easily have been worse.

In general, what we have seen from the past, is that there is no newly release wheel without issues. The serious nature and the number of issues can vary. But no buyer would know before hand.

Not only do I not buy first batches, I wait until owners, not influencers, have confirm the issues and their resolution. By that time, the wheel would no longer be the wheel people talk about. But the prices would be lower too, and you would know all the potential issues, and whether the issues have been addressed. Even if the issues are not addressed, plenty of people would have ideas as to how to fix them. A side benefit is that it is a lot easier to test ride a non-current wheel.

Unlike me, there are plenty of people who are willing to get first batch or an early batch wheels, and face the challenges of first or second batches.

People usually learn quick whether they are pioneers or not.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3