Disappointed in the Mten Mini

When I heard Begode might be developing a mini EUC I was super excited.  I'm among the minority of semi-early EUC adopters from back in the day who is disappointed in the direction EUCs have gone; much bigger, much heavier, much faster.  The i5 was a gem.  I still have my Segway/Ninebot S2 with the upgraded firmware (30kph) and I've been waiting for a new small wheel for years.  And here it is; the Mten Mini.  My disappointment lies in the fact that it's not the miniature, backpackable EUC I had hoped it would be.  It's the same wattage as my S2 but much lower voltage, it has about half the battery capacity, it's heavier - too heavy and awkwardly shaped to carry in a backpack, it's more expensive (in Canada) and it has a much smaller wheel diameter, which means it's less comfortable and less safe over bumps.

I'm really glad there are lots of $2,000-$5,000 60lb wheels to choose from for those who love the biggest and fastest, but sadly the concept of small, lightweight portable electric transport has all but been forgotten.  The Mten Mini is like the iPhone 12 Mini; a phone with "mini" in the name that was actually larger and heavier than 9 of its predecessors. 

• Upvote 2

Can't deny the specs but have you ridden one?  I guess my biggest concern is the weight, making something out of higher priced/lighter material is costly, that tire is VERY wide so I guess that adds to it.  I couldn't image toting around two 10lb plates plus other miscellaneous items  in a backpack for any lenth of time, much less 27lbs plus the other stuff.

Edited by RetroThruster

I love the idea of this cute little wheel, but I’d get an m10 over this any day. The weight to spec ratio is much better. 

On 3/7/2024 at 6:00 PM, RetroThruster said:

Can't deny the specs but have you ridden one? 

No, I'll never be able to ride one here unless I buy it.  And by the time it comes to Canada it will probably be about $800-1000 with taxes.  The Mten3 is currently selling for as much as $1800 delivered in Ontario, which to me is a bananas price.  My hope is that the Mten Mini is successful and it re-ignites interest in small wheels.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:17 PM, Hellkitten said:

I love the idea of this cute little wheel, but I’d get an m10 over this any day. The weight to spec ratio is much better. 

Do you mean an Mten4?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:00 PM, RetroThruster said:

I guess my biggest concern is the weight

Same here.  I used to carry my S2 in an EUC backpack around the woods after riding there with my dog.  That weighed 25lbs and was uncomfortable.  I don't know how after half a decade of technical progress Begode managed to make a wheel that has half the range of the S2 while being heavier. 

Mten4 Malnourished is a joke.. Mten4 is way, way better wheel. And almost same size.

And yes all "New" wheels suck ass. People who want something small and light for ride around neighborhood - we have almost nothing to choose from. (NEW..)

I'm also waiting for something lightweight to be made. Otherwise i'm not buying another EUC.

Edited by Funky

If you're looking for a small wheel, I found the Inmotion V8S to be the perfect wheel. Comes with convenient retractable trolley handle, sturdy handle with lift switch, lightweight, slim form factor, appropriately sized wheel for most terrain, and excellent weatherproofing.

All these small Begode wheels are garbage. Just because they are newer, don't make them better.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

If you're looking for a small wheel, I found the Inmotion V8S to be the perfect wheel. Comes with convenient retractable trolley handle, sturdy handle with lift switch, lightweight, slim form factor, appropriately sized wheel for most terrain, and excellent weatherproofing.

All these small Begode wheels are garbage. Just because they are newer, don't make them better.

Yes I was looking at the V8F purely because of the good trolley handle.  I also see Kingsong has some wheels with great trolley handles.  I just dream of another i5-like wheel coming some day, or something small and lightweight.  For me the Mten Mini really missed the mark.  I guess it will be good for kids, but it's so heavy, low in power and surprisingly low in range.  But again, it's the only new small wheel there is, so props to them for trying.

18 minutes ago, RooEUC said:

But again, it's the only new small wheel there is, so props to them for trying.

Kingsong Ball EUC. :D It's small and round - easy to toss in the bag. And very light.

KS-14D or KS-16S is another option. My dad rides KS16S and it's great wheel. The trolley/carry handle can't be beat.

I myself own KS18XL. But for next wheel i'm looking for something smaller.. (More correctly lighter.. I don't care for size.) 

the mten mini is stellar if you ahve yoru expectations set correctly. It's not designed to be a pocket rocket like the mten4. It's a sidewalk commuter, a parking lot wheel, a fun indoor wheel. And for the price, it's a great value. The mini is priced close to the S9, but the mini's build quality, durability, and power far surpasses the S9 in every conceivable way. The S9 is almost completely unrideable for an adult, but an adult can take the mini can probably 12-15 mph, if Begode updates the firmware to allow you to go that fast (it's tiltback is currently at 7u mph and not changeable).

For what you pay, I think the mten mini is a ton of fun and not a disappointment in the least.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Funky said:

Kingsong Ball EUC. :D It's small and round - easy to toss in the bag. And very light.

It's $1,000 here!  Have they lost their minds?

Edited by RooEUC
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2024 at 2:23 PM, WheelGoodTime said:

the mten mini is stellar if you ahve yoru expectations set correctly. It's not designed to be a pocket rocket like the mten4. It's a sidewalk commuter, a parking lot wheel, a fun indoor wheel. And for the price, it's a great value. The mini is priced close to the S9, but the mini's build quality, durability, and power far surpasses the S9 in every conceivable way. The S9 is almost completely unrideable for an adult, but an adult can take the mini can probably 12-15 mph, if Begode updates the firmware to allow you to go that fast (it's tiltback is currently at 7u mph and not changeable).

For what you pay, I think the mten mini is a ton of fun and not a disappointment in the least.

New firmware is available now for higher top speed which I'm sure you've seen, Mten Mili_GW1121002, 12mph is no problem for my 215 lbs.  I know the specs aren't there but like you say, if your expectations are set correctly, it doesn't disappoint.  I love the fat tire.  Pic beside my A2.

InxY867.jpg

lz8Jm5Q.jpg

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

New firmware is available now for higher top speed which I'm sure you've seen, Mten Mili_GW1121002, 12mph is no problem for my 215 lbs.  I know the specs aren't there but like you say, if your expectations are set correctly, it doesn't disappoint.  I love the fat tire.  Pic beside my A2.

InxY867.jpg

lz8Jm5Q.jpg

That's great to hear, I hadn't seen that yet. I'll update it tomorrow!! 🥳🥳🥳