One legged riding

It turns out, there are quite a few distinct "ways" of riding one legged. The choices are for each leg:

• left or right pedal,
  • forwards or backwards,
  • curve towards the supporting pedal or away from it.

This makes 16 distinctly different riding situations (or 24 if riding straight counts too), 8 for each leg (or 12). Every other day I am trying each of these for at least a couple of seconds, but some are kinda difficult :D. The most sketchy I find currently to be with the left foot on the left pedal riding backwards with a curve towards the supporting (left) pedal.

Footage of this seems to be quite scarce and somewhat sketchy.

Pico did it:

Alex Segmüller, somewhat:

I like this one too, riding one footed straight backwards, elegantly:

Any other riders out there on this?

• Like 1

I have taught myself to ride on one leg.  But I rarely do it - can't really see what I would use it
for as long as I have both legs.  But it's nice to see others juggling around on one leg like the pure
artists in a circus - except that they don't really get anywhere.  So while they fool around on one leg,
I use both of mine and get around safe and sound.   And basically, I don't really understand what good it
must be to ride on one leg,  and even backwards, without being able to see who you might be running over?

So what is the point of riding one legged and backwards when you can use both legs and ride forward?  

In other words, people risking crashing because they ride one legged and it is burning resources, it leeds to unnecessary risks taken by nonprofessionals.

Not everybody is a circus artist.

Edited by Robse
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robse said:

I have taught myself to ride on one leg.  But I rarely do it - can't really see what I would use it
for as long as I have both legs.  But it's nice to see others juggling around on one leg like the pure
artists in a circus - except that they don't really get anywhere.  So while they fool around on one leg,
I use both of mine and get around safe and sound.   And basically, I don't really understand what good it
must be to ride on one leg,  and even backwards, without being able to see who you might be running over?

So what is the point of riding one legged and backwards when you can use both legs and ride forward?

I suspect it is not so unusual that we can improve a skill by practicing a related but in itself unnecessary skill, and that this may be the most effective (or only) way to get this improvement. I suspect lot's of sports training methodology is based on this observation. More specifically here:

• Backwards riding: I don't think there is much of a practical point in riding backwards more than a meter, except for practicing to look backwards safely and comfortably and to move the hips around without affecting the riding direction, which are IMHO two extremely useful practical skills. Having said that, I am able to see where I go when I ride backwards, I always look where I go.

Riding small backwards circles is currently the most fun move I have on the EUC and fun is part of why we ride too, no? I am quite certain it is less risky than carving at +35km/h forwards.

• One legged riding seems to me a very useful skill in order to have better control over the wheel in general and in critical situations. Being able to meaningfully touch ground with one foot while maintaining full control over the wheel is an awesome safety insurance to have. I am almost sure it saved my ass already once or twice, @pico suggested the same in his tutorial, but it is probably not very useful at high speed.

Being able to freely, fully and comfortably chose the left-right weight distribution over the pedals makes someone a better rider with considerably better control and (intuitive) understanding, IMHO. As a minor point, it can also mitigate foot fatigue.

Mastering one legged or backwards riding means, as for any other technique, to not use the arms (nor the free leg) to steer or balance. When we can casually change sunglasses in the process, we got it :efefa6edcf:

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Robse said:

In other words, people risking crashing because they ride one legged and it is burning resources, it leeds to unnecessary risks taken by nonprofessionals.

Right, any practicing involves some risks and there is always this trade off between not improving skills and taking this risk. Of course we should rather err on the side of minimal risk taking when practicing.

Edited by Mono

Ok, I gather that @Robse is not a fan! ;)

0-switch-v12.jpg

1 hour ago, Mono said:

I am able to see where I go when I ride backwards, I always look where I go.

Total agreement!  Keep on the good work!

Backward-stance.gif

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Robse said:

Its a very good way of strengthening your core and legs doing both of these exercises. It makes me a much better technical rider irrespective which direction I'm going in afterwards. Strong mobile legs means quicker/ confident control and faster reaction times when dealing with unexpected events. 

The advantage of one legged is if you injure one of your legs/feet it is easier to ride with an injury too.

• Like 2

Just by riding enough my left leg is the leg I start with on my EUC, and as such is the leg I can ride one legged easiest with. Even just by freemounting repeatedly you inadvertently learn how to ride with one leg. Being able to ride with only 1 leg increases your stability because obviously riding with both legs is far more stable after being able to ride with just 1. It has saved me a few times where I forgot or didn't know my right pedal had been pushed up so I was able to open my pedal with my foot and then continue riding as normal, this has happened more than once. Being able to control the EUC with only one leg even temporarily also makes it extremely easy to adjust your feet on the pedals and move around to reduce foot fatigue.

I also just like to show off by riding with 1 foot. I have full control if I'm using my left leg, I can carve and turn in either direction, but I've not really attempted to ride with only one leg backwards. I already see backwards as rather niche, but it is fun to do and show off with.

Edited by jtm94
  • Like 2