New Jersey law proposal: Requiress low-speed electric bicycles & low-speed electric scooters to be registered with MVC and insured.

Roadpower

On 2/18/2024 at 2:43 PM, Roadpower said:

Looks like their definitions of scooters and E-bikes exclude one wheeled PEVs.

b.    For purposes of this section:

"Autocycle" means a three-wheeled motorcycle designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals in which the operator and passenger may ride in a completely or partially enclosed seating area that is equipped with a roll cage or roll hoops, safety seat belts for each occupant, and anti-lock brakes.

"Low-speed electric bicycle" means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, that meets the requirements of one of the following classifications: "class 1 low-speed electric bicycle" which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or "class 2 low-speed electric bicycle'' which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.

"Low-speed electric scooter" means a scooter with a floorboard that can be stood upon by the operator, with handlebars, and an electric motor that is capable of propelling the device with or without human propulsion at a maximum speed of less than 19 miles per hour.

"Motorcycle" includes motorcycles, autocycles, motor bikes, bicycles with motor attached and all motor-operated vehicles of the bicycle or tricycle type, except motorized bicycles as defined in this section, whether the motive power be a part thereof or attached thereto and having a saddle or seat with the driver sitting astride or upon it or a platform on which the driver stands.

"Motorized bicycle" means a pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in that either the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 cc. or said motor is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower or is powered by an electric drive motor and said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 5:10 PM, MetricUSA said:

All because some people refuse to stay under 25 mph like you people here... Thank you... 

Oh i regularly ride under 25mph. Now if we are talking about kmh.. That's a different story. :D 

My first alarm is set at 24mph. Second one at 26mph. And i almost never hear them, as i ride slower.. Daily commutes never ride that fast. Only at "fun" rides sometimes i hear them.

Edited by Funky

Karen’s walking 4 abreast on the bike trails.  /s
NYC and surrounding areas live on take out deliveries. There have been many deadly fires in nyc. 

NJ tourists in the city notice the abundance of PEVs, and scurry home after dinner and a show. Penn station and the Bus terminal are terrible locations for pedestrians and street traffic. 

@GothamMike Are you saying that the abundance of PEV's in NYC is scaring off people? If so that is an interesting thought. I don't know about other people but I've become extremely conscious ebike delivery riders because they can be a threat. Especially to people whose mobility is less than ideal.