I would like to ask for EUC recommendation.
I have looked some models but I don't have enough knowledge and experience to make a decision on my own.

Just to give some context:

- Beginner, haven't ride any EUC before, 175cm tall, 68kg
- Main use: commuting (10km one way) and errands
- I don't know if it is necessary but suspension would be nice
- Decent range is important (at least 50km?)
- I don't mind If I have to buy aftermarket pads or some other minor changes
- I would like to avoid buying cheap EUC for learning (I want to skip the process of buying first one for learning and afterwards have to upgrade it with a new one)
- Budget 3000$ max

Some EUC I have being looking and I am interested in:
- S16 Pro
- Begode Extreme
- Patton
- Commander Mini
- Master V4
- V11Y

Please give me your opinions and suggestions.

• Like 1

Yes you can avoid the learner EUC, just put some good foam blocks on it for protection.

Just my two cent:

They are all good, If I had the budget I would have gone with the Patton but maybe the S16 would be enough and more adapted for city use.
Begode / EB have good bang for the bucks but are not allways the most rain proof.
The V11 is nice but the suspension system (only the pedals are suspended) can be seen as less optimal.

I would recommend having a street tire for street use, they have getter grip on asphalt and you get more feel of the ground for tighter controll.
I would also suggest learning without pads as you get more freedom of placement, movement as well as exposure to wobbles which you can learn from.

edit: Some suspended EUCs have very high pedals for offroad use, for city use i would suggest considering lowering the pedals (there are adapters) for more stability and easier leverage.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Hey. :) 

Put shower mat or carboard boxes all around the wheel and duct tape it to wheel. Go crazy all around the wheel. At least it will be protected from learning drops and what not. Who cares how dumb it looks - at least it works! That way you can skip the learner wheel..

10km distance even old KS16S the small 16" wheel will do that. It has about 50KM range..

Here's a real question - will you need to carry the wheel ever? Any stair cases or things like that? If you need to carry the wheel often and every day.. The weight will become annoying real fast. (Personal experience after 3 years of commuting everyday..)

Also how fast do you plan to ride? It isn't so good to ride max speed of said euc. Because the max speed gets lower as the battery gets empty.. Also safety decreases as battery gets more empty. So that in mind get at least 15km/h faster wheel (random number out of mind for quick example..) to be safer.. Don't buy a 60km/h EUC if you plan ridding 60km/h speeds often! Get something faster..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Funky said:

Hey. :) 

Put shower mat or carboard boxes all around the wheel and duct tape it to wheel. Go crazy all around the wheel. At least it will be protected from learning drops and what not. Who cares how dumb it looks - at least it works! That way you can skip the learner wheel..

10km distance even old KS16S the small 16" wheel will do that. It has about 50KM range..

Here's a real question - will you need to carry the wheel ever? Any stair cases or things like that? If you need to carry the wheel often and every day.. The weight will become annoying real fast. (Personal experience after 3 years of commuting everyday..)

Also how fast do you plan to ride? It isn't so good to ride max speed of said euc. Because the max speed gets lower as the battery gets empty.. Also safety decreases as battery gets more empty. So that in mind get at least 15km/h faster wheel (random number out of mind for quick example..) to be safer.. Don't buy a 60km/h EUC if you plan ridding 60km/h speeds often! Get something faster..

Thank you for your reply!

These are good questions.
I live in an apartment on the third floor without elevator so... Yes I think I will need to carry the wheel every time I want to go out and back home :(
I guess I will have to chose a light one or maybe one easy to lift when pushing it upstairs.

Regarding the speed, I plan ridding about 50km/h max.

• Upvote 1

Hi, it's always fun to imagine buying a new first EUC! If I were you, or if I was me in your situation, I would probably buy the King Song S16. Then buy some plush safety equipment and a new 360 degree camera with the last $1000. Zen Lee does a really good review of the S16 here:

Zen Lee has a lot of experience, you can trust his reviews pretty well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDave said:

Thank you for your reply!

These are good questions.
I live in an apartment on the third floor without elevator so... Yes I think I will need to carry the wheel every time I want to go out and back home :(
I guess I will have to chose a light one or maybe one easy to lift when pushing it upstairs.

Regarding the speed, I plan ridding about 50km/h max.

I live in second floor and need to take my wheel down/up 2 times per working day. (Once down and once up) Sometimes even 4 times a day when i go to store, errand, etc..

Aside of that i need to carry it into train and in my workplace.. So i carry my wheel more than i trolley it.

Most of those wheels (that you are looking at) are in 30kg weight. My wheel is 26.5kg heavy and i'm pretty strong. Also 125kg heavy. The 26.5kg is quite easy to lift - i won't lie. But carrying it over greater distances and up/down the stair cases... It get's annoying/hassle really fast!

I highly recommend thinking twice about the weight. And that coming from a guy who can lift Sherman Max one handed without much of problem. (the 40kg wheel)

For example i'm looking for sub 20kg wheel as my next wheel - going lighter.. But that's mostly because my commutes are very short and i don't need the 50km/h speeds. I happily ride 25-35km/h speeds.

If you plan pushing the wheel up the stairs.. Get a 18" wheel at least - it will go up more easily than 16". But still you will need to push it from the back while trying to lift the front up. Also street tires that have smooth middle - good luck pushing it up the stairs...

• Like 1

I've got a V11 and Patton and if I could, would go back and get the S16 Pro instead of the V11 had it been out already.  The suspension system isn't that great on the V11.  I weigh 215lbs and only have 300 miles on it from riding the streets of my neighborhood and I think my right sliders already need to be replaced.  The S16 Pro looks like a great all around wheel that isn't super heavy.  It will suck having to haul it up two flights of stairs but you will get used to it.  Seems like that is one of the biggest dilemmas for some without elevators...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HappyDave said:

Indeed, there is a massive difference between 35Kg and 45Kg when you need to carry it and are not Mr beef.

Pushing it up the stairs (and not carrying it) could be an argument for a 14" rim wheel though. (The 16" wheels use 12" rims). It is a bit slow and tedious but generally works if the tire is dry / get grip.

Good luck with your research and happy riding when you get that far :)

Edited by null
  • Like 1

@HappyDave Maybe, can you buy an air tag tracker and lock it downstairs? Air tags are only like 25$, you could even buy two and hide them in different places in your wheel, that way, if they find one and quit looking, then there is still another one reporting the location of your EUC. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, I think the S16 has a movement alarm.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, iwantmymtv said:

@HappyDave Maybe, can you buy an air tag tracker and lock it downstairs? Air tags are only like 25$, you could even buy two and hide them in different places in your wheel, that way, if they find one and quit looking, then there is still another one reporting the location of your EUC. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, I think the S16 has a movement alarm.

Actually I thought about leaving it downstairs since the apartment has a mini private place for parking bicycles outside, but I don't know if it would be a good idea leaving the EUC outside because of the temperature change, weather etc

• Upvote 1