Jono's Lynx Video Review Thread

Jono

19 hours ago, varamontelo said:

Hi, when you obtain 75 kgs, is it with the helmet and the bag, camera, power pads ? Thanks.

Hi Vara, yeah with all of that extra weight you mentioned. I mis-spoke there. I'm closer to 77kg (170lbs)

• Like 1

no talking no music pure street riding on the Lynx!!
Then a side by side comparison with the Veteran Sherman S EUC.

Lynx:                           Kenda K262 off road tyre at 24PSI 
Veteran Sherman S: Kenda K262 off road tyre at 35PSI (too high) (12 months ago when I was much newer to the large wheel - 800km and wrong tyre pressure)

• Like 2

Lynx 66lbs suspension sag based on my actual measured tests.
kg chart (left) and lbs chart (right)
image.thumb.png.12269c9299c96e2b05d5b72c2c653c87.png

Edited by Jono
extra context, added lbs chart
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jono said:

Lynx 66lbs suspension sag based on my actual measured tests.

Wait, I thought preload increases sag. Do I read that correctly?

I’m 70-72 kg naked and got the 62 lbs version (not here yet). I’m slightly worried even that will be too stiff for soft ride (no drops or jumping).

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Wait, I thought preload increases sag. Do I read that correctly?

No. On the contrary. 

Preload means the spring is pre-compressed before the rider gets on the wheel.

For example, consider a 150 lbs rider on a linkage suspension, with a leverage ratio of 1:1 for the purpose of this discussion.

If the preload is set on a 300 lbs/in coil spring to 1/2", there will no sag, since the spring already can support a load of 150 lbs without further compression. 

If no preload is set, then there will be sag, because the spring needs to be compress by 1/2" to support the 150 lbs load.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

This do it yourself pedal upgrade makes a huge difference to the traction and control felt on your foot plates. It's quite cheap, especially if you have or can borrow the tools required. Best leave a days work to get it done.
Hope this helps, Cheers Jono

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jono said:

Ride n chat with Rick to compare two variants of the Lynx. Surprisingly similar.

Jono's Lynx
66lbs, 50S, K262

Rick's
62lbs, 50E, Pirelli Angel
- 27% sag at 75kg (170lbs) zero preload.

KS22Pro $2599USD and up

Veteran Lynx $3699USD and up

Partial transcript beginning 2:37:

"Jono: So with the S22, you said there’s not much of a jump-up to the Lynx.

"Rick: Not a huge amount. It certainly has the Lynx; the Lynx certainly has more power and more top-end speed, and I feel safe on the Lynx because there’s much more overhead.

"Jono: Yeah ….

"Rick: Yeah, and for the money, you know, the S22 Pro is not a bad value, cause they’re coming out with the 50S cells as well.

"Jono: Wow, I think it’s easy to get caught up in the hype, where the older wheels are still tons of fun, and without the range, you’re getting a lot more on the Lynx or…

"Rick: No, surprisingly, with my weight, I’m getting a similar range on the Lynx, I reckon the same on the S22. Maybe slightly more on the Lynx, but it wouldn't be much."

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, litewave said:

the S22 Pro is not a bad value, cause they’re coming out with the 50S cells as well

yeah, i still want a 50s version at the right price. my s22's with the lg50lt batteries seem to be working fine. s22 pro works great. i've been hosing out the slider channels with corrosion x. the 900 pound spring felt fine on my dentist trip on curbs and stuff. hasn't been that long ago these were all straight axle. so having a big ass 90/90 city grip 2 at 32psi and suspension, lightyears from when i started. 

unless this incoming lynx blows me away. pretty expensive curiosity, but this will close the door for possible ranch wheels for me. if these oil forks make my rides smoother, it will be worth it. plus i gotta think the lynx must have more low end torque than the s22 or v13. their's is enough normally, but out of position torque would be nice. but i love my s22's. obviously. i love my v13's as well. this newly modified one on the bench sb special.

hey @Jonowhat size tire is the pirelli angel? and i suppose tubeless? thanks. 

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, litewave said:

KS22Pro $2599USD and up

Veteran Lynx $3699USD and up

Partial transcript beginning 2:37:

"Jono: So with the S22, you said there’s not much of a jump-up to the Lynx.

"Rick: Not a huge amount. It certainly has the Lynx; the Lynx certainly has more power and more top-end speed, and I feel safe on the Lynx because there’s much more overhead.

I think this is pretty much subjective, and the type of riding can be a factor too.

For myself, I would think the Lynx would feel a little bit more refined and premium. But the way the wheels ride, I can see how some people may feel that way.

The range is what troubles me.

I am not impressed that my 2220 Wh S22 pretty much get about the same range when ridden the same way as my 1750 Wh V12.

And now it appears that many of the higher voltage 4P wheels are getting about the same range too.

Basically, for the most part, you get more motor performance, and headroom.

I can see those who don't do group rides, and just ride for pleasure around town or commuting, and not needing the performance, may not appreciate the extra performance to spend a significantly more money.

But if we look a little deeper, some may appreciate the sealed wet lubed sliders of the Lynx over the open-sliders of the S22/Pro. 

After factoring in the price too, and the decision becomes not so simple.

Edited by techyiam

21 hours ago, novazeus said:

hey @Jonowhat size tire is the pirelli angel? and i suppose tubeless? thanks. 

The standard 20" size of 80/80-14. so it's sized down compared to the K262 (which I'm getting -7% vs GPS) or a 80/90 Michelin pilot street 2. tubed I'd say.
image.png.aa505e7eae8543075127ba94d337e8d1.png

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

...subjective, and the type of riding can be a factor too.

...bit more refined and premium....

...The range is what troubles me.

...appreciate the sealed wet lubed sliders of the Lynx over the open-sliders of the S22/Pro. 

Definitely, if you push the faster wheels harder they'll drain down just as fast even with the higher Wh. Rick just mentioned he had a think about it and reckons he's getting a bit more out of the Lynx maybe 20-30%. No concrete testing done. If you're going at more relaxed speeds and acceleration then that'd make sense.

We were talking about this earlier in the ride. The S22 has more rattles and clunks vs the lynx. He was hoping the S22pro would have a tighter fit and finish. Plus the roller system gunking up concern. Although if he's not trail riding it should be ok?

He's enjoying the fit and finish. However it's not as plush as he'd like and would've even considered a 58lbs spring. compression damping was +0 = soft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 6:51 PM, Jono said:

The standard 20" size of 80/80-14. so it's sized down compared to the K262 (which I'm getting -7% vs GPS) or a 80/90 Michelin pilot street 2. tubed I'd say.
image.png.aa505e7eae8543075127ba94d337e8d1.png

Definitely, if you push the faster wheels harder they'll drain down just as fast even with the higher Wh. Rick just mentioned he had a think about it and reckons he's getting a bit more out of the Lynx maybe 20-30%. No concrete testing done. If you're going at more relaxed speeds and acceleration then that'd make sense.

We were talking about this earlier in the ride. The S22 has more rattles and clunks vs the lynx. He was hoping the S22pro would have a tighter fit and finish. Plus the roller system gunking up concern. Although if he's not trail riding it should be ok?

He's enjoying the fit and finish. However it's not as plush as he'd like and would've even considered a 58lbs spring. compression damping was +0 = soft.

got my two today. i'm going tubeless on the lynx next week, and tubeless on this new s22 40t pro. i think these tires will add extra down low torque and acceleration. about an inch smaller diameter than the knobby.

nice wide 85.5mm unmounted 80mm tire. 

6CD9BFC9-3CAB-4BB5-BC80-ADD242C1561A.thumb.jpeg.b141c3e8bad8985fafd0a46f6a7fe111.jpeg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 10:24 AM, novazeus said:

got my two today. i'm going tubeless on the lynx next week, and tubeless on this new s22 40t pro. i think these tires will add extra down low torque and acceleration. about an inch smaller diameter than the knobby.

nice wide 85.5mm unmounted 80mm tire. 

6CD9BFC9-3CAB-4BB5-BC80-ADD242C1561A.thumb.jpeg.b141c3e8bad8985fafd0a46f6a7fe111.jpeg

Nice, yea exactly my thought. Improved torque and rotating mass. I'll be trying tubeless Michelin Pilot Street 2 80/90-14.

Edited by Jono
double post
  • Upvote 1

I'm pleased to release the Jono seat for the Lynx and Sherman S. As a keen seated rider, nothing on the market satisfied my requirements. Thus I had to design and build a custom seat from the ground up to fit on my electric unicycle. 
I hope to share some of these seats with others at a reasonable price with plenty of customization options. 

Get The Jono Seat here: https://forms.gle/7FJ4i8uv2FxEorWj8
4x batch one available. 
If sold out, fill the the form as an expression of interest!
Checkout the order form for additional info and options.      

• Like 1