Anyone has ever tried to measure your battery capacity?

Bob Yan

Hi Bob, I have done it already with some EUC using CE140. Still not a large enough sample to drag some quantitative analysis but from a qualitative approach, I have found just as expected, that larger is the mileage of the vehicle, lower tends to be its effective battery capacity. With some exceptions that we can attribute to a very intense use. Unicycles are not like an electric car or even an electric motorcycle. They have a fraction of our mass and are heavily affected by our riding style, etc. 
I got one small EUC used for a sport that replaces the horse with a unicycle and the battery showed decay despite the short mileage. It was drained and charged only with deep cycles (0/100/0/100%) and constantly accelerating/braking. That way perhaps is inducing an increased internal resistance shortening its capacity prematurely.

I started with CE to get some control and information when charging. Specially when travelling. But now I find myself enjoying checking my friends vehicles etc. It is easy and even fun. Most of group riding friends tend to imagine their battery decay is something negligible (wishful thinking?), until we measure it. :o
I see about my friends and myself, that we rarely fully drain our batteries in our trips. In general we have more mileage than what we use. But then, it becomes easy to not notice battery decay, despite it is happening.
I wonder how many accidents could have been prevented if knowing this information before pushing too hard.

The main problem I have encountered is when not having a reference other than the stated total battery capacity. I mean from specification sheets.
We know we cannot access all that capacity, but it is hard to determine that difference with precision without information from manufacturers. Perhaps they do not have it either. I ignore if they perform tests like these. However, as a community we can collaborate by measuring as soon as the unicycle is purchased and share that result. Or bicycle, scooters etc. I am sorry I am focused mainly on unicycles. 

Now, I would like to measure some EUCs from owners that charge them constantly using high current, to compare with cases with the same model and similar mileage but from users charging at low current. Just for the fun of checking if it does affect or not. We have so much theory and opinions around, that it would be great to get empiric data. We may get surprises or just confirm the theory, who knows. But for sure it is fun. ;)

Edited by GPSchile
clarity
  • Like 2

It seems very few people are caring about that, but it's one of features of our PIDZOOM charger enhancer, so we're solving a problem that not many people need. 

It's another lesson we've learned. :(

I would love to be able to measure state of wear of my batteries, especially that I recently got a second hand Sherman, and have older wheels around as well.

I might be in minority though, it seems many people don't take their batteries seriously.

If I haven't ordered the Charger enhancer yet it is because it is mostly to take those measures I would need it (The charge monitoring I do by app connected to EUC is enough to me). I'm still interested in buying it but my finances being limited lately it is a tough choice. Especially that with all the fees on top of import tax will raise the price. (That's a benefit of using a larger platform for selling, by having the tax included from the start you avoid the fees for taxing the item on the border. Maybe some payment managers do it?).

I appreciate PIDZOOM being there as a PEV oriented brand, and wish you all the best. Still hope to get my hands on a charger enhancer :)

edit: Also, thank you for all the nice things IM brought us while you where there!

Edited by null

Sure, have checked the capacity some 5 years ago with the charge doctor. I also use an app on my phone to monitor the battery wear of my phone. Wear status is nice to have, preventing wear is of course more import and I have seen so little wear over the years on my EUCs that I stopped bother checking.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:36 AM, Bob Yan said:

It seems very few people are caring about that, but it's one of features of our PIDZOOM charger enhancer, so we're solving a problem that not many people need. 

It's another lesson we've learned. :(

Perhaps riders think that it will not be their problem because they will resell their EUC to purchase a new model before becoming an issue. For the new owners it may be an issue but since they do not know how the vehicle was from its starting point, they may not be aware. PEV are still a new thing. As we get more familiar with this technology, I think we may see more riders checking the batteries before purchasing a pre-owned electric vehicle.

BTW, I just measured a V10F battery with CE140. I drained it by leaving it standing against a wall and it went down at 67V ( about 3.35V per cell). 
I fully charge it with 845Wh from 0 to 100% SoC. At the end of the charge, I pressed again the ON/Off output button on Charger Enhancer to complete its charge due to "voltage drop".  Just 8Wh were added to it. 
The battery states 960Wh, so it represents 88% of its original status. However, I would like to compare it to a new vehicle to have a more representative value of reference (using the same procedure etc).
Anyway, it is not bad for about 5000km  ;)

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:49 PM, null said:

I would love to be able to measure state of wear of my batteries, especially that I recently got a second hand Sherman, and have older wheels around as well.

I might be in minority though, it seems many people don't take their batteries seriously.

If I haven't ordered the Charger enhancer yet it is because it is mostly to take those measures I would need it (The charge monitoring I do by app connected to EUC is enough to me). I'm still interested in buying it but my finances being limited lately it is a tough choice. Especially that with all the fees on top of import tax will raise the price. (That's a benefit of using a larger platform for selling, by having the tax included from the start you avoid the fees for taxing the item on the border. Maybe some payment managers do it?).

I appreciate PIDZOOM being there as a PEV oriented brand, and wish you all the best. Still hope to get my hands on a charger enhancer :)

edit: Also, thank you for all the nice things IM brought us while you where there!

Thank you sir. Actually we got the tax covered, you only need to pay the unit cost and the shipping which is &9 on our website now. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:57 PM, Mono said:

Sure, have checked the capacity some 5 years ago with the charge doctor. I also use an app on my phone to monitor the battery wear of my phone. Wear status is nice to have, preventing wear is of course more import and I have seen so little wear over the years on my EUCs that I stopped bother checking.

Great to know. Normally the cells can go 80% above of its initial capacity after 500 cycles, which means a lot of mileage ride.  But I guess for people who want to buy second-hand wheels, it's good to know the condition of the batteries.   

BTW, could you help take a picture of send a link of your charge doctor? 

6 hours ago, Bob Yan said:

BTW, could you help take a picture of send a link of your charge doctor? 

In this thread with link to homepage and to YT clip