Why is my king song 16X "kill-switch" having issues re-engaing?

BKW

My KS16X has the lift switch enabled so when it is lifted by the handle it disengages the motor. I've noticed lately that when putting the EUC back on the ground the kill-switch does not re-engage as it should.

I know from experience that there is a screw behind the side shells, directly under the rails, that if you tighten/loosen sometimes this is the reason it is not engaging the motor properly. In the past I could tight/loosen these screws and this seemed to solve the problem. However, this time it doesn't seem to make a difference and the motor is still not engaging as it should after being put back on ground.

It does engage at times but the wheel needs to be perfectly still and level and stay there for a couple seconds.. but even then it starts to disengage if I move it directly after engaging sometimes.. it's not acting right. The disengagement seems too sensitive, etc.

A few things I'm thinking this might be:

1. Firmware issue
  2. Physical component failure/dysfunction somewhere
  3. A feature in the app preventing "normal" re-engagement of the motor after kill-switch has been engaged (i.e., "unmotivated", "motivated", "damping" feature in app [i'm not even sure what this is])

Any ideas what the problem might be if not the tightening of the screws behind the shell (at bottom of each rail). Maybe a setting in the app needs to be changed, etc?

Thanks

Edited by BKW

• BKW changed the title to Why is my king song 16X "kill-switch" having issues re-engaing?

Does it engage when you hit the "handle" downwards/in? If that's the case - you could check the screws that hold the handle itself. 

The metal band with screw each side.. If it's to tight - the handle doesn't move up/down. 

My dad had the same issue when he tightened the side screws.. The handle could not move up/down freely, making it stay stuck in upwards position. He had to hit the hadnle downwards/in to engage the motor.. 

The spring is one.. You need also check the side screws (the metal band with one screw each side of band that hold the handle case). To tight = not good.. The handle case needs to slide up/down. You could even add little bit of grease behind those metal "bands". So the handle case move more easily.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, Funky said:

Does it engage when you hit the "handle" downwards/in? If that's the case - you could check the screws that hold the handle itself. 

The metal band with screw each side.. If it's to tight - the handle doesn't move up/down. 

My dad had the same issue when he tightened the side screws.. The handle could not move up/down freely, making it stay stuck in upwards position. He had to hit the hadnle downwards/in to engage the motor.. 

The spring is one.. You need also check the side screws (the metal band with one screw each side of band that hold the handle case). To tight = not good.. The handle case needs to slide up/down. You could even add little bit of grease behind those metal "bands". So the handle case move more easily.

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you mean by "handle case" exactly but I'll double check the inside again

6 hours ago, BKW said:

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you mean by "handle case" exactly but I'll double check the inside again

Check image - Those screws need to be loose. So the black trolley handle can move.. (Trolley Case) It's the case that holds the extending trolley handle together..

If those "side" screws are to tight - it can't slide up/down. Bottom spring don't have enough power to engage the lift switch. Because handle stays stuck at up position.

The case needs to slide up/down freely.

razbiraem-monokoleso-kingsong-ks-16x-14-

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2024 at 6:16 PM, BKW said:

A few things I'm thinking this might be:

1. Firmware issue
  2. Physical component failure/dysfunction somewhere
  3. A feature in the app preventing "normal" re-engagement of the motor after kill-switch has been engaged (i.e., "unmotivated", "motivated", "damping" feature in app [i'm not even sure what this is])

5. Design flaw.

There may be several reasons that lift sensor doesn't re-engage motor. One of them is faulty microswith that is located near the bottom of the telescopic stem (it's operated by the metal tab that goes thru the stem). As @Funky wrote, screws that holds the metal braces needs to have some play, so the braces won't prevent stem to slide up and down. You may also try to tighten the screw that compresses the spring at the bottom of the stem. Just not overtighten, because it will prevent stem to slide when the wheel is lifted.

As I wrote, this mechanisms is flawed by design. Unfortunately, when it starts to fail the only reliable solution is to... disable lift sensor in the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

5. Design flaw.

There may be several reasons that lift sensor doesn't re-engage motor. One of them is faulty microswith that is located near the bottom of the telescopic stem (it's operated by the metal tab that goes thru the stem). As @Funky wrote, screws that holds the metal braces needs to have some play, so the braces won't prevent stem to slide up and down. You may also try to tighten the screw that compresses the spring at the bottom of the stem. Just not overtighten, because it will prevent stem to slide when the wheel is lifted.

As I wrote, this mechanisms is flawed by design. Unfortunately, when it starts to fail the only reliable solution is to... disable lift sensor in the app.

I did mention in my first post: Does it engage when you hit the "handle" downwards/in?

If @BKW messed around those metal braces by screwing them tighter.. It would be the culprit. 

If hitting the handle inwards (when you put wheel on ground - you hit the handle down/in.) and wheel starts working. Also you can easily hear 2 beeps. If @BKW only hears one beep, or none at all - the lift switch isn't responding, or the handle case (the brace) is screwed to tight. 

I should have asked, if @BKW has tightened those "side braces", (yellow circles in my image) by chance? If yes - there's your problem. :D 

Edited by Funky

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just had my inner tube changed and replaced on my king song 16x and for some reason the lift sensor will engage and won't disengage after I pick it up sometimes It don't want to do it every time but even after I set it down it acts like it's still in the air I fixed it so far by turning it off and turning it back on and it works fine. Anybody knows what's going on or have any advice

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Hey, I totally forgot about giving an update on this, so figured I would now...

I recently had to take apart and reassemble my KS16X and followed the suggestions both @Funky and @Seba mentioned in this thread by loosening the fasteners that hold the trolley arms as well as loosening the screw parts at bottom of the arms. Not sure which of those suggestions fixed the motor not re-engaging properly. It may also had to do something with a new motherboard replacement on my KS16X, but I doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKW said:

UPDATE:

Hey, I totally forgot about giving an update on this, so figured I would now...

I recently had to take apart and reassemble my KS16X and followed the suggestions both @Funky and @Seba mentioned in this thread by loosening the fasteners that hold the trolley arms as well as loosening the screw parts at bottom of the arms. Not sure which of those suggestions fixed the motor not re-engaging properly. It may also had to do something with a new motherboard replacement on my KS16X, but I doubt it.

Bottom screws - won't doo much. You can only screw it looser little bit. (The travel when lifting wheel changes - when it will power off motor.)

I bet it was those side screws holding the trolley housing. It could not move freely and spring was to weak to "pop" the handle back down - because of those side screws holding housing to tightly..

• Like 2