LiTech pack teardown

RagingGrandpa

The Data

This is a LiTech pack with P42A cells, from a Gotway RS.
It had water damage, so I tested and then disposed of it.

ADCreHebt0vPYwlgjq7Jy5CUlvItinkA3O1Nh6P3

The LiTech model number is LP 24S2P 10A 30A L002
24s2p is the cell configuration.
I presume 10A and 30A are the continuous current ratings for charging and discharging. 
Pulse currents can be much higher, as I discovered.

Focusing on the safety behaviors, the relevant circuits are shown below: 

ADCreHf-xAqLl6Ow9dR7iF3EncWIkMBiS6L-MzH3 

Safety devices include:
U1, U2, U3: Shutoff FETs
S1, S2, S3: Thermal switches 
NTC1, NTC2: Temperature sensors
F1: Melting fuse
And, an alarm buzzer.

The cell voltages, balancing resistors, and NTC thermistors are monitored by cell management ASICs. I couldn't read their chip labels on this BMS due to lacquer, but they closely resemble the IC's LiTech used in the Sherman Max BMS which were Cellwise CW1274. 

There is no programmable memory nor CPU, and there is no communication or signaling to other devices outside the pack.

From bench testing, I confirmed the following behaviors: 

ADCreHdy43z6EYewHVyd-FKVcj_LIO3u-DqETZ4y

* Scenario 2 charging current: I did not test charging above 18A, which was the maximum of my equipment.
* Scenario 10 melting fuse: I was unable to sustain a medium-level current suitable for melting the fuse, using my crude dummy loads. So the "60amps for 1 minute" rating is an estimate based on typical 50A-rated ATC fuses.
* Scenario 11 overcurrent trip: I used a cheap DC clamp ammeter which wasn't fast enough to reliably measure the peak current, and with it I detected various currents from 80 to 115 amps, before the trip. Also note: I shorted the pack thru a 250V 12A-rating melting fuse, and the pulse was brief enough that my fuse did not melt. It trips fast. 

More multimedia here.

Comments appreciated!

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

First thing that came to mind when seeing the pic was that output shutoff. 

I suppose a failure there would be covered by the dual pack redundancy but still. 

If they had to design a single pack or a Master v1 type pack (all series) would they still do it this way? I'm guessing no.

It keeps us coming back to the discussion: minimize rider injury vs prevent self destruction. Which is the right priority? Would you ride a 10year old Litech pack?

I'm curious what the braking currents do to those output mosfet. Can current flow freely without long term harm to the component?

I'm watching a lot of laptop repairs on youtube and one thing that happens sometimes is that the mosfet gate voltage drops (it gets pulled down for various reasons, contamination, wear, etc) causing the mosfets to not fully open (act as resistive load) so they burn out.

Maybe they're the kind of mosfet that is open by default. That would be good.